Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pratchett loved oblivion and helped with mod

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
M comment reads like rejected dialogue for Danny DeVito's Penguin.
In typical DannyDeVito's fashion, you shift blame for being DannyDeVito to others
Wait! Guys, DannyDeVito has alt on Codex! He's been shitposting with us since 5th of January, this year. For some odd reason he likes Oblivion much. Maybe cause its character creation is so robust he can replicate himself with it. Would pay good money to see his Let'sPlay

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oblivion was great modded. Unfortunately, it was literally the most crash prone game I ever played after using the mods I wanted to use. It was guaranteed to crash after using up a certain amount of memory. You could even use system hardware memory monitors to predict almost the exact moment it would crash. The 4GB patch helped but not much. I think I played that companion mod that Terry helped on, and liked it... before it crashed my Oblivion experience.

Oblivion has way too many issues that I've heard of, it is probably the one Bethesda game that requires the most mods I've ever heard of. Maybe I'm just jaded and can't be bothered to go to such lengths for an allegedly mediocre PRG. I have heard of it being crash prone and after Fallout 3 and especially Skyrim I'm not bothering with such a mess anymore. Morrowind and New Vegas have been extremely stable for me in the past once I learned how not to mod like a moron.

mastroego

Arcane
Standard edginess aside, modded Skyrim is a flawed but engaging, unique and enormous game (Requiem).
I'm sure Oblivion even modded would still be inferior to it, on the other hand it would be a "new" game for me, while most Skyrim quests I've played many times already.

retinoid

Savant
To be fair, you need a very high level understanding of the English language to truly appreciate Oblivion's genius.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
M comment reads like rejected dialogue for Danny DeVito's Penguin.
In typical DannyDeVito's fashion, you shift blame for being DannyDeVito to others
Wait! Guys, DannyDeVito has alt on Codex! He's been shitposting with us since 5th of January, this year. For some odd reason he likes Oblivion much. Maybe cause its character creation is so robust he can replicate himself with it. Would pay good money to see his Let'sPlay
Case Study: The Wall

Only through observing otherness can we generate the concept of self. Extrapolating, from our very first moments of consciousness, people are aware that all knowledge derives from allegory.

You see the dark, and understand it is a place without light. You touch a hot stove, and gauge the difference in feeling; no pain versus pain. You hear the innumerable mocking voices of your peers, seniors, and even juniors, and thus thoroughly humiliated, you understand your lot in life is approximately at the bottom of the pecking order. These particular results of learning through allegory -- darkness, pain, and crippling humiliation -- dominate The Wall's life. His experiment in differentiating otherness has shown that his existence contains no light, no respite from pain, and no doubt concerning his position in the bottom .01th percentile of human quality.

In a desperate and likely unintentional cry for help, his name, portrait, and comments display the decrepit and warped state of his subconscious to all members of the Codex.

Words are archetypes; they create the basic gestalt from which we build more complex schemas. A table is a table. We can further understand this table by describing it as wooden, painted red, wobbly, etc. When we actively name something using words that already exist, we attach the gestalts those words have to this new entity, thus creating new meaning. The Wall named himself The Wall. Let's dissect this name. The -- imparts singularity and definitiveness. Wall -- imparts a physical barrier designed to keep things out or within its structure. Why would a man refer to himself as The Wall?
The: He sees himself as solitary and definitive, like an outcast, a black sheep.
Wall: Reinforcing the concept of "The," he sees himself as separate from others, as if he were unable to cross a physical barrier to reach normal people.

How we present ourselves in the real world indicates how we view ourselves in context. If you go on a date, then you dress in a way you think will sexually appeal to your companion. If you go on an interview, you will dress in a way that you think will demonstrate your quality as a prospective employee. If you set a portrait on the RPG Codex, then you select one that represents your intended contribution to the Codex. The Wall chose Vernon Roche -- an exiled rebel, constantly fighting a losing war to invaders from without and traitors from within. Yet again, The Wall practically screams at the Codex that he is an outsider -- an exile, even -- and that he expects nothing but conflict, or pain, from those within and without the Codex.

And finally, his content. The Wall maniacally stalks my Oblivion-related posts and invents fantasies about recieving oral sex from my fictional daughter. Is this a thinly veiled request? "Please, HarveyBirdman, bear fruit that will give me human connection and pleasure rather than dark exile and pain!" Indeed, this verbiage seems close to if not precisely on the mark. What, you need further evidence? Consider The Wall's bizarre insistence on combining Danny DeVito's name into a single word (DannyDeVito), or in other words, the union of man and man. Not only is The Wall tortuously self-aware of his general inadequacy as a (presumably) bipedal hominid, he also is a barely closeted homosexual, pining for affection from any man, even if he were to look like DeVito himself. What's more, The Wall even indicates in no uncertain terms that he would pay for video of this "DannyDeVito," this man within a man. Is there no low to which The Wall will stoop to fill the void within his soul? No, scratch that remark; it was cruel of me to draw further attention to the fact that The Wall could not conceivably descend to any lower depth than the one he inhabits currently.

With heavy heart, I bring these revelations to the Codex's attention. Speak not too harshly to The Wall. Whether he intended to or or not, The Wall has borne his twisted nature to us all. The least we can do is respect the sad circumstance of his existence, and allow him to play out his sad Internet LARP as a person who at least sits a single notch above the bottom .01% of human value.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Standard edginess aside, modded Skyrim is a flawed but engaging, unique and enormous game (Requiem).
I'm sure Oblivion even modded would still be inferior to it, on the other hand it would be a "new" game for me, while most Skyrim quests I've played many times already.
Oblivion is better than Skyrim. Skyrim added nothing to the series aside from lore, but spectacularly achieved massive decline.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pratchett loved oblivion? Who the fuck cares

Look at those who read his books nowadays, weaklings and feeble cucks

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You know what?
While I wait for the Skyrim situation to settle (meaning wait for Ultimate Skyrimto come out, or Requiem to be ported to SE, or something like that), I might try a run with heavily modded Oblivion.

I assume THAT scene has settled, by now, HarveyBirdman?
I hear there a couple of good overhauls that work well together. How good is modded Oblivion?
If you absolutely must play Oblivion, then make sure to create a stealth-based character, join the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, avoid the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, seek out a handful of interesting quests not related to the guilds or the main storyline, and (literally) run through the interminable number of Oblivion (the place/plane within the game) demi-levels with near-identical level design.

As for mods, the most crucial is one (or two) to remove the level-scaling of monsters/NPCs and of items/equipment. Second-most important is a mod to fix the UI, or at least make it somewhat less consolized. You might also consider a number of visual improvements, since Oblivion's aesthetic design and implementation of new graphics technologies (especially the FaceGen software) both left something to be desired.

Still, you would be far better off (re)playing Morrowind, Daggerfall, Arena, Fallout: New Vegas, or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, if you feel the urge to play an Elder Scrolls-type of CRPG.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Oblivion is better than Skyrim. Skyrim added nothing to the series aside from lore, but spectacularly achieved massive decline.

True, as RP part of RPG Oblivion is better or less worse but as fun G part of RPG, I prefer Skyrim. On the other hand Oblivion gave birth to your comments, Skyrim's decline is nothing compared to them. At least Skyrim paid off spectacularly to Bethesda, no one profited from reading yo comments. In any way. Such sad case!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You know what?
While I wait for the Skyrim situation to settle (meaning wait for Ultimate Skyrimto come out, or Requiem to be ported to SE, or something like that), I might try a run with heavily modded Oblivion.

I assume THAT scene has settled, by now, HarveyBirdman?
I hear there a couple of good overhauls that work well together. How good is modded Oblivion?
If you absolutely must play Oblivion, then make sure to create a stealth-based character, join the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, avoid the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, seek out a handful of interesting quests not related to the guilds or the main storyline, and (literally) run through the interminable number of Oblivion (the place/plane within the game) demi-levels with near-identical level design.

First time I played (or attempted to play) vanilla Oblivion I hated it. It ran like freshly dripping ass on my machine at the time which contributed to my intense dislike of it but what REALLY annoyed me were the oversized fonts used in the default UI. "What is this console shit??? Get it off my system, and fast!" Then the imprisoned dough-faced emperor with Patrick Collins' voice puts his filthy paw on my brow in the cell and says gravely, "You are... the one. I feel it." 'Well, feel somewhere else, you elder gay! Get off my brow' I thought. I knew then it was gonna be some generic "you've got the whoooole world in your hands" quasi-messiah garbage. It was pure, unadulterated annoyance and I quit soon after. Then I picked it up again a few years later and the first thing I got was a UI mod, and suddenly it was only half-bad. Then I got a mod that removed the emperor entirely and suddenly it was- well, good. Actually I did do a vanilla play-through before that, and enjoyed it as an adventure game rather than an RPG. However, you don't have to play a stealth-based character to do the Thieves Guild quests. I was a generic fighter or some such shit and I got a ring or spell or something that made me invisible. Working towards a stealth-based build seemed pointless. The retard thing about Oblivion is that you could play ANY class and basically become optimized for any of the guild quests. It was pandering to an almost unheard of degree in mass market RPG audiences. Very simplistic but I needed that at the time.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

True, as RP part of RPG Oblivion is better or less worse but as fun G part of RPG, I prefer Skyrim. On the other hand Oblivion gave birth to your comments, Skyrim's decline is nothing compared to them. At least Skyrim paid off spectacularly to Bethesda, no one profited from reading yo comments. In any way. Such sad case!
The Wall can't stay away. His homoerotic obsession with me forces him to quote my every comment. At this point, he may not even be in control of it anymore. The depravity of a "man" who prefer's Skyrim is difficult to fathom, but from the outside looking in, it appears he responds compulsively.

Again, I implore the Codex to allow this pitiful little semi-human to vent his mental anguish here, if only for a bit longer. While we can't allow creatures like The Wall to procreate -- provided he isn't sterile in the first place -- we can at least pity them for drawing the shortest sticks from the bundle of short sticks in life.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Drown in sea of shit that are your comments. Amigo Retardo, you dedicated whole novel to me, but I didn't read it lol. It can't suck more than you do, but I'll never know. Do tell, Shit Elemental, is posting on Codex only thing keeping you in your miserable life? Mehrunes Dagon's pet whore, chocke on the fact that every single insult aimed at others about being pathetic excuse of life form that derives its meaning by shitposting about game that brought downfall of western RPGs on forum owned by Australian raptor is you playing and looking at you the same way you played fucking Oblivion, in third person. You know it, you just hoped we ALL didn't know. Well we knew. We knew you are for your family what Oblivion is for Elder Scrolls family - unaborted abomination. Knew from first shitty, low energy shitpost. We didn't tell you out of courtesy, thought you might raise your hand on yourself if you found out you ooze the vibe of failure. That you can't hide it. Like with Oblivion, only cure is uninstall.

Writting on your tombstone will read:

Shitposted about Oblivion a lot,
Read his posts no one did not,
Born as rapechild of Dagon and Todd,
Lived his life as Bethesda's harlot
In Death he's one with Oblivion

Here lies HerpesBirdbrain

20.3.2016. - 26.2.2019.

So sad, much sad, so much sad case!

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
You ought to quit while you're ahead of your future self, which invariably lies somewhere on the logarithmic function that plots your position relative to mine. Before you split your head open searching wikipedia to understand what that means, just accept that every word you type represents the microcosm of your diminutive character; hence your desperate attempts to escape yourself by adopting the personas of men greater than you, namely Trump [sad!] and a Batman villain.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Skyrim has many flaws. Many can be boiled down to extremely bad design decision and extreme wrong pacing of the story followed by pampering at the casual gamers too much.

However having played both game i have to say oblivion while having nice faction quest were the most extremely silly of the series. Level scaling was terrible like really terrible and if you try to mod the game a lot or mod away the level scaling your saves were prone to corrupt totally forcing you to delete them.
So yes while skyrim can be fixed.. ((most the special edition)) Oblivion can't be fixed because it required total overhauls that were poisonus for your savegame integrity.

Requiem actually don't do nothing than a bounch of separate mods for skyrim can do except it do it worse. Requiem is way too much like way too much. I remember being excited installing requiem i usually enjoy mods that add complexity and makes the game more challenging but being sniped by a mage that was super far out of nowhere killing me in a istant is not fun is just idiotic. What i liked about requiem was how encounters were designed but beside cranking up the damage you take and add stamina consumtion at combat level were not so good at that. It had several nice touchs around in and there adding plenty of detail but again is nothing that separate mods can do and do better.

mastroego

Arcane
I strongly disagree, I've tried the "separate mods" route long enough to be adamant about this.
Requiem adds cohesion to the mix, and it's probably the thing it does best.
Can't do this with a patchwork of (gameplay) mods.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well i suggest you to look around better.. There are a pletora of mods that does what Requien do and also do it better.
Ultimate combat overhaul: Fix the ennemy AI add completely new attack to some creature and allows a realistic behaviour of the ennemies.. Caster for istance will stay back while warriors will charge,dodge (ala dark souls), parry, counter attack and even when they will be low on health will be protected by each other.. Fixed even stealth.. If you make too much noise inside a building like trowing a fireball in a room you will have the whole building npc allerted.

Immersive Citizen: Fixes the retarded ai of pretty much every npc allowing for a more realistic behaviour in case of danger for example the guards will rush to fight the danger while the citizen will run in the most safe place for example in the case of whiterun they will run in the castle.

Immersive world encounters: It adds a lot of diverse and amazing random events in the map to keep the world fresh

Character creation overhaul: Brings back the class and the old birthsing system with the diverse stats for each race.
Apocalypse spell of skyrim: Basically a must have that adds back a lot of spells that in skyrim were lost
Asis: A esp generator that scans your esps and gives perks and spells included mod ones to npc ((that is truly the mod that drives your difficulty scaling because now npc having perks can make massive damages and they also have access at a lot of different spells is not like requiem where you won't do damage and ennemy by default will give more damage to you.Skyrim vanilla has ennemies that most are perkless this is why they won't do much damage at you unless they are above your level))
Immersive Armor: A whole bounch of lore friendly armors from different cultures around tamriel
Immersive Weapons: A whole bounch of lore friendly weapons from different cultures around tamriel.
Spell Research: Orgasmic mod for who like to roleplay mages it allows the character to research magic and use it for spellcrafting, examine artifact,traslate tomes to obtain research point to make even more powerful spells.

This is just a basic setup you can do even more to improve your game by a lot not using requiem.
And most important your game won't run like ass.

mastroego

Arcane
I know of all of that.
I repeat: combining countless gameplay mods (even good ones) ends up implying constant tinkering and lack of a cohesive framework, which you definitely feel while playing.
Requiem solves these problems.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I know of all of that.
I repeat: combining countless gameplay mods (even good ones) ends up implying constant tinkering and lack of a cohesive framework, which you definitely feel while playing.

I don't think this is true all you need to know if how to apply a correct load order and read the mods description most of those mods are compatible if not complementary with each other unlike requiem that has serious compatibility issues and quite frankly when i attempt to mod skyrim i attempt to bring it back to morrowind complexity not turn it in dark souls.

Requiem has serious balance issue now unbalancing in single player game is not an issue but Requiem aside a nice encounter system and details in and there attempts to be way too much hardcore in a game that don't support it. Because again in the end skyrim controls are clunky and are not fitted for super accurate combat reflexes wich Requiem with his insane damage system do.

That setting i shown was basic.. If i had to make my whole load order publicly we end in a week. But that's about it. The beauty of skyrim is that you can tailor the game using mods to your needs requiem is good as a standalone mod but is extremely bad in compatibility it messes so much that in the long run makes your game not stable.

In fact few are the ones that were able to end skyrim and all dlc with requiem installed and not because it was difficoult but because reached a certain ammount of playtime the game started to freak out.

I have like 250 mods my game is stable some user in the codex can confirm that since i usually stream for them to show things. I can play for hours not reaching even a single crash.

Modded Oblivion actually works ok due to quests/factions being reasonably good. In a voice acted game those are the hardest part to fix via mods, so Oblivion got lucky in that they're the one part it did fairly well. Sure, everything else is trash, but fortunately it's moddable trash.

As opposed to Skyrim where you can mod it as much as you like but the factions and quests will still be irredeemable dogshit.

Oblivion.
Reasonably good quests.

Choose one.

mastroego

Arcane
I know of all of that.

I don't think this is true all you need to know if how to apply a correct load order and read the mods description most of those mods are compatible if not complementary with each other unlike requiem that has serious compatibility issues and quite frankly when i attempt to mod skyrim i attempt to bring it back to morrowind complexity not turn it in dark souls.

Requiem has serious balance issue now unbalancing in single player game is not an issue but Requiem aside a nice encounter system and details in and there attempts to be way too much hardcore in a game that don't support it. Because again in the end skyrim controls are clunky and are not fitted for super accurate combat reflexes wich Requiem with his insane damage system do.

I wasn't talking about the technical aspect.
I was talking about the overall experience. I tried the patchwork approach more than once, it never fully works imho, Requiem changed everything in this regard.
Of course it's also a matter of personal perception.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I know of all of that.

I wasn't talking about the technical aspect.
I was talking about the overall experience. I tried the patchwork approach more than once, it never fully works imho, Requiem changed everything in this regard.
Of course it's also a matter of personal perception.

Off course let's say Requiem offers it on the fly. Modding skyrim extensively can be really complicated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom