Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Zanzoken, Jun 20, 2017.

?

Thread title

1. Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Worse than D:OS

34 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. About the same

39 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Better than D:OS

80 vote(s)
    38.1%
  5. Overwhelming success! <3

49 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    I say journos will heap on the praise but players will be less enthusiastic than last time.

- The main new feature -- Origin stories -- is a massive decline. D:OS core audience is a bit more monocled and doesn't want to RP a pre-written Chosen One or hang out with Bioware imaginary friends.
    - Larian will wish they spent more time building on the strengths of the first game -- reactivity, exploration, and co-op -- and improving the writing.
    - New GM and PvP modes will barely move the needle, nor will mod tools. Sequel fatigue is also a factor.

The game will not be bad necessarily but it will be as flawed as the original, if not more so -- definitely not the sequel we wanted.

(hopefully I will be proven wrong)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • [citation needed] x 7
    • Disagree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    I hope I'm proven wrong and it's better but EE left the sour taste of decline in my mouth from the voice acting, "balancing", and quest markers. I loved D:OS and I think as far as gameplay goes, it's pretty concretely going to be an improvement since they have added to the mechanics, but the rest of the game as one package could lead to disappointment, with the multiplayer (muh PVP) and story focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Raychul will love it.

^ Top  
  4. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It depends. With decent coverage and word of mouth, this could do fairly well. It does release at a time of year that might not benefit the game, though. I'm guessing that it will do about the same as the previous game. Don't know how the reception will be. I don't have a guess either way.

^ Top  
  5. TC Jr Learned

TC Jr
    Reckon it'll be about the same. "Good for what it is" sort of vibe, doubt the story/writing will be improved and tbh I hope they don't go the serious route cause the writing was bad enough even with the campiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG]

How much do you know about this game's development?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    I just discovered that Divinity OS EE removed skill book respawning, thus additional 5000 for few skill point once in a blue moon is not available. Considering it made some doable but hard fight harder just for sake of difficulty. They messed stuff a bit. Yes EE is more fleshed out and there are details where previously was just an empty space and text description, but...

Kinda wonder if they will not screw up with all these polymorph stuff in Divinity OS 2.

^ Top  
  8. SausageInYourFace Codexian Sausage Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Critical success, less sells.

I am under the impression that a lot of new players that initially got interested in 'these kind of games' (ye olde skuul RPGs) realized its not really their cup of tea afterall. And some veterans perhaps realized its not as fun to them as it used to be or they simply ain't got the time anymore. Hence the diminished returns of second wave renaissance games.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    Infinitron

I know you get triggered anytime someone on the site criticizes a major RPG, but "citation needed" is pretty stupid in what is obviously a speculation/opinion thread.

As far as development goes, clearly a lot of time and resources have been put into the Origin stories -- resources that IMO could've been spent on more interesting content. I mean they have Avellone and his primary job is to write the Undead origin, right?

:neveraskedforthis:

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 11
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Will sell less than D:OS is a given, the novelty meme is over now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Haplo Liturgist Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't expect too much. DOS had an awesome combat engine and nice GFX.... but that's about it. Character development was poorly thought out, itemization MMO tier inspired, the setting and story was very generic, poor and 4th wall breaking.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Larian can't write compelling stories. Level design sucks. Combat engine is okay tho.

Underrail, Shadowruns and AoD remain the only recent RPGs I wasn't underwhelmed by.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Wrong.
    1) Origin stories
    Cool feature, best part of dragon age origins and a good thing on it's own.
    2) Writing was good in the original (a lot better than POE or Tyrany), will be even better since Chris Avellone is helping them & they hired more people to do that. still won't be as good as AOD from narrative standpoint, but for me AOD eclipses the best of the so it's pointless to even compare them.
    3) Insignificant.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    I doubt all these writers would help story and writing style consistency.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. passerby Savant

passerby
    I predict total units sold will be less, but there'll be more month one, full price purchases and generated income will be roughly the same.

^ Top  
  16. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    D:OS was great for me so this is a day one full price purchase. I wouldn't mind another game like Divinity 2 either, but with more quickslots and all keys rebindable.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    It will have piss poor exploration due to randomly generated items. The writing won't be better, it will just have more words. Fun combat. Fairly long probably. That's it. Kinda like D:OS1, but with higher production values.

• Edgy x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Lacrymas do you like any game in general?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Yes.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Good because sometimes I get the feeling you might be into the wrong hobby

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Brancaleone Learned

Brancaleone
    Fuck, is DOS2 going to have randomly generated items as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    At least it won't have the second mandatory player character which stopped me from slogging through the first game.

^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Whether it's going to sell well only time will tell. The same applies to PoE2. I have no idea why both PoE and DO:S were so popular, but I think whatever curiosity most people had with "old-school" RPGs is gone, so this new batch will prove whether they are commercially viable for middling devs like Obsidian and Larian or if they are doomed to suffer the ravages and relentlessness of time, being relegated to museum exhibits, cyberarchaeology and small studios unwilling to let go.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    Wondering how critics will respond this time around, don't know about DOS but they were too generous for pillows. For the same results, games will have to be much better.

^ Top  
  25. It's gonna do worse just like every sequel to every kickstarted game ever made.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)