Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Discussion in 'Larian Studios' started by Zanzoken, Jun 20, 2017.

?

Thread title

1. Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Worse than D:OS

34 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. About the same

39 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Better than D:OS

80 vote(s)
    38.1%
  5. Overwhelming success! <3

49 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    Yep! I'm not questioning why those areas are being focused on... just saying that I expect the same people who write the previews will do the reviews and they'll likely therefore focus heavily on the same pieces.

^ Top  
  2. mogwaimon Learned

mogwaimon
    This. I hope it becomes the new Neverwinter Nights and D:OS2 is immediately followed by years of module creation and "hakpaks" that make whole new games in the D:OS2 engine.

On that note I really do need to get around to finishing D:OS1 before the next one. I always get stuck in the first town when I play, of my two attempts I stopped the first time because the Enhanced Edition was announced the day after I started so I said screw it I'll wait for that now and the second attempt I spent like 6-7 hours running around the first town alone doing all these little quests before I finally left and ended up shelving it because I got busy at work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    A review is supposed to provide a complete, balanced evaluation of a game; it has a different role to previews.

^ Top  
  4. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    Games journalism must be a bright and shining thing in your universe. :D In my universe, it's mostly staffed by people doing the bare minimum necessary to meet their word count and deadlines, and they therefore frequently use their previews as the starting point for their reviews, both because it means they already have their talking points in order and because it means they don't have to actually play the game to completion.

Anyway, I salute your optimism, but this is very much a tangent from my original point, which was that I think reviews of D0S2 will live or die on whether the new features are sufficiently baked for the reviewers to tout them as major advancements over the first game or whether the reviewers instead end up feeling like the game is a case or 'more of the same.'

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    ^ Top  
  5. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    I hear ya, especially since the graphics look a bit more suitable now :D.

I also thought about this one: maybe the arenafights will also turn into a game itself? It's fun enough and as long as they get the moment for Part 3, I'm happy.

^ Top  
  6. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Key word: Supposed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    It's bad, but it's not that bad. Most reviews tend to at least make a token attempt at covering a game's major points.

^ Top  
  8. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Key word: Token.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ZoddGuts Savant

ZoddGuts
    Two weeks away from release and it's already a top seller on Steam. Barring a backlash, it's going to sell well. Larian is going to make bank. What was the total sales for D:OS? Steamspy has it at 1.4 m, add a couple more hundred thousand sold on GoG should be around 1.7 total. I could see D:OS 2 selling at least crossing the 1 mil mark.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    It already has around 250,000 in Early Access; I wonder what that means for release sales?

^ Top  
  11. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    I'd like to have hope in man that most people are reasonable and do not purchase an unfinished product until it is released, so hopefully the EA sales are a minor portion of release sales.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Game trailer is pretty. good showing nice graphix, xtreme explosions and the novelty of playing as undead will attract shallow amusement from the press enough to create hype, all the things necessary for the average steam monkey. Don't worry guise, this will sell more than D:OS 1, the average steamtard is an useless human being but they will be useful to keep Larian afloat until they release their next projects at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. KateMicucci Educated

KateMicucci
    I'm seeing a lot of excitement. Coop, skeletons and lizards are all popular. This is the only RPG I've ever tried to get my normie friends to play and they've said it looks cool.

^ Top  
  14. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Normies liking a game is usually a bad sign.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Je suis un normie.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Rev Arcane

Rev
    You're on the Codex, dude. You can't be on the Codex and be a normie.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Citation needed

^ Top  
  18. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Speak for yourself, nerd.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Anyone that plays an alpha so much they get bored of it before the finished game is even done, doesn't deserve to have nice things. Also omg 4 days omg.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Double-posting is a cardinal sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Says who?

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Some nerd?

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I am just a guy who plays games for fun, since before playing games became a subculture of insecure puber scrubs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    I'm proud to say i didnt touch the alpha even once, despite having access to it. Dont want to spoil myself.

2 days :bounce:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    :salute:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)