Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Thread title

• Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Worse than D:OS

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • Better than D:OS

Votes: 80 38.1%
  • Overwhelming success! <3

Votes: 49 23.3%

• Total voters

Rev

Arcane
I just checked on Steamspy, D:OS2 is already at 230k and it's not even been officially released (although ofc it was in early access). Things are looking good for Larian.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Definitely looks like a strong start, so good for Larian. Despite the cynical first post and the fact that I don't really care about the new features, I want D:OS2 to succeed.

Of course I will be waiting for the prestigious Codex review before making a decision on when (or if) to purchase.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Of course I will be waiting for the prestigious Codex review before making a decision on when (or if) to purchase.

The mainstream reviews will also be important, as they will determine the game's success.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently somehow SteamDB has concurrent player (CCU) data older than Steamcharts.com: https://steamdb.info/graph/

D:OS 2's peak (75,429) is 40th highest CCU in all time.

All time peaks of other "comparable" (in genre and/or scope) games:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 287,411
Sid Meier's Civilization VI - 162,657
XCOM 2 - 133,022
DARK SOULS III - 129,975
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 92,268
Sid Meier's Civilization V - 91,363
-----
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 70,568
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - 69,906
Stellaris - 68,602
Stardew Valley - 64,427
Fallout: New Vegas - 51,038
Pillars of Eternity - 41,906

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
D:OS 2 is #2 in last week's Steam top sellers:

Last week's top sellers (by revenues, not counting microtransactions):

#10 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - go home Todd you've sold enough Skyrim here
#9 - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
#8 - NieR:Automata
#7 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#5 - DARK SOULS™ III
#4 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#3 - NBA 2K18
#2 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

ACzZYa0.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official sales number before Stemspy catching up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-2-roars-out-of-the-gates-to-nearly-500k-sold

Divinity: Original Sin 2 roars out of the gates to nearly 500K sold
"As for the console versions..."

It's been a bombastic start for independent computer role-playing game Divinity: Original Sin 2, which has raced to nearly 500,000 sales on PC in only four days.

"It is fantastic," Swen Vincke, owner of developer and publisher Larian Studios, told me this morning, "but it is also way beyond what we expected. We're close to hitting 500K units sold which is a number I believe took us two or three months with Divinity: Original Sin 1."

The unfortunate side effect of such popularity - a concurrent-player CRPG Steam record (from what I can tell) of 85K players - has meant Larian's servers have struggled to cope but, Vincke said, "We should have them up and running again soon."

Whether this strong indication of runaway success for Divinity: Original Sin 2 means console versions are now a thumbs up - Larian was waiting to see how the sequel sold on PC - remains to be seen, but early signs are good.

"As for the console versions, we're now focused on delivering our first patch for the PC version, something that is scheduled for this week," said Vincke. "Lots of players means lots of support issues coming in and we're trying to service them as fast as we can. After that, it'll be a long well deserved break for the team and then we'll boot up our machines again to work on the next things."

It took Divinity: Original Sin 1 around four months to make the transition from PC to console in an Enhanced Edition, which performed very well while sat on ye olde sofa in front of the TV.

Rick Lane is still working on his Divinity: Original Sin 2 review for Eurogamer, but his early impressions were very positive. "So far I've seen nothing that suggests Original Sin 2 won't be as least as good as its predecessor," he wrote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It took Divinity: Original Sin 1 around four months to make the transition from PC to console in an Enhanced Edition

what, it took them over a year

A year and four months, in fact +M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Let's break it down with Steamspy data:

Just before pre-release hype (which kinda started with the full voice announcement): 180K

Just before the release: 230K -- About 50K copies sold with the pre-release hype

Now: (nearly) 500K -- About 270K copies sold after the release

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It took Divinity: Original Sin 1 around four months to make the transition from PC to console in an Enhanced Edition

what, it took them over a year

A year and four months, in fact +M

This is a particularly stupid mistake to make as it would have been nearly impossible to make the extensive EE changes and a console port in four months.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Current concurrent players number (86,171) exceeded last weekend's peak (85,858).

And current Steamspy owners number is almost 500K.

RapineDel

Augur
I just hope they take the feedback about the combat on board and not shut themselves off about it thanks to the sales and good critical reception from IGN etc. who likely only gave it a good review after seeing good scores from other sites. A lot has clearly been put into this game and the groundwork has been great so far. Great area design, secrets, towns, puzzles and quests it's really just the combat changes and loot system I've had a problem with. If they commit to fixing this stuff then it could be great.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
How much did DOS 1 sell comparatively? I predicted 2 would do a little worse I think. Am I right? 500k seems like a real lot.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Definitely looks like a strong start, so good for Larian. Despite the cynical first post and the fact that I don't really care about the new features, I want D:OS2 to succeed.

Why? That makes no sense at all. And what codex review has been prestigious?

Rev

Arcane
How much did DOS 1 sell comparatively? I predicted 2 would do a little worse I think. Am I right? 500k seems like a real lot.
I don't know how much it sold in the same timeframe, but it was definetely less. Sven himself said so in an interview with Eurogamer, adding that the first one sold that many copies in about two or three months instead of just five days or so.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't know how much it sold in the same timeframe, but it was definetely less. Sven himself said so in an interview with Eurogamer, adding that the first one sold that many copies in about two or three months instead of just five days or so.

Wow, so this is the opposite of what happened to other games like Banner Saga and Grimrock. That is weird since this is a real rpg and has TB combat. Maybe going full spin camera is really that important to the rere population. Of course Banner Saga isn't an rpg at all and Grimrock has no content so can't be a real rpg (in modern times when content isn't some extra like in the mid and early 80s).

I guess this means PoE 2 will do even better (performance improvement wise) since we know for certain the rere population loves RTwP.

How do I know it is the rere population? Come on. What kind of none rere would buy DOS 2 but not 1? That just doesn't make sense.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
OS1 still sold really well, roughly 2m over all platforms. It had legs, same as most decent crpgs. To me, this early boom for OS2 represents more a waiting fanbase than bandwagoners, though there are certainly many of those as well.

Regardless, you're probably right in predicting a similar bump for Deadfire.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I guess this means PoE 2 will do even better (performance improvement wise) since we know for certain the rere population loves RTwP.

RTwP isn't actually that popular with the general gaming public, as far as I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom