Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predict sales/critical response for D:OS 2

Thread title

• Huge failure R.I.P. Larian

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Worse than D:OS

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 18.6%
  • Better than D:OS

Votes: 80 38.1%
  • Overwhelming success! <3

Votes: 49 23.3%

• Total voters

Krzysiek

Learned
HizKAJd.png

Tie with BG2. I didn't expect such enthusiastic reception from journos.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting things from Steamspy data:

- From 565K owners of D:OS 2, only(?) 52% owns D:OS 1. Yes, people didn't bought the first game buying this. (Yeah, probably some of them played the first game on consoles, GOG, or piratebay. But I don't think they're significant.)

- Most owned game among D:OS 2 audience is, of course, Skyrim (67%). (This is not a quirk for D:OS 2 audience. Skyrim is almost always most popular RPG among all kinds (popamole, JRPG, Diablo-likes, CRPG, and even grognards) of RPG audiences.) 47% owns Fallout 4.

- Most owned CRPG (apart from D:OS 1) is PoE 1 (33%). (Darkest Dungeon (34%), KOTOR 2 (26%), Grim Dawn (23%), Shadowrun Retruns (22%), Wasteland 2 (19%), Dragonfall (19%))

(Wasteland 2 surely couldn't appeal to the audience needed for a million-selling CRPG.)

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I guess this means PoE 2 will do even better (performance improvement wise) since we know for certain the rere population loves RTwP.

RTwP isn't actually that popular with the general gaming public, as far as I know.

You would know the general gaming public since you are a kid and a general gamer and have no reason to post on rpg sites, but as an adult rpg game player I know for certain when it comes to real rpgs general gamers who sometimes play rpgs like you far prefer RTwP over TB. This has been true since the IE games with the only successful exception being the two DOS games.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You would know the general gaming public since you are a kid and a general gamer and have no reason to post on rpg sites, but as an adult rpg game player I know for certain when it comes to real rpgs general gamers who sometimes play rpgs like you far prefer RTwP over TB. This has been true since the IE games with the only successful exception being the two DOS games.

I browse what can be described as a "general gaming forum" (not this website, by the way). The people there prefer TB over RTwP by a large margin. Personally, I don't really care what system a game has, as long as it is implemented well.

himmy

Arcane
I guess this means PoE 2 will do even better (performance improvement wise) since we know for certain the rere population loves RTwP.

RTwP isn't actually that popular with the general gaming public, as far as I know.

I would counter both of you by proposing that actually, the majority of people who play crpgs don't care that much about the combat system/don't have a preference. At the very least, they are much more flexible than your average Codexer. For many people, the story, setting and freedom to do random stuff count much more than how the combat develops in a game.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I browse what can be described as a "general gaming forum" (not this website, by the way). The people there prefer TB over RTwP by a large margin. Personally, I don't really care what system a game has, as long as it is implemented well.

All I know is that if you look at the most popular rpgs almost all of them are rtwp or twitch. The only game since TB became a gaming faux pas that has been a big success has been both DOS'. There are no others I can thing of.

ToEE was not a commercial success and the biggest complaint on this site and rpgdot and even the Atari forum was it had TB combat. The fact that some people claim they like it now does not help Troika at all. What are these other successful TB rpgs you are talking about? Please name them. Since u7 and BG it has been a big downhill shitfest of shit combat for decades. I leave out Darklands because it was barely a blip on the radar though being the first rtwp crpg I remember playing.

Also, stop stalking me and stick to your general game forum with your made up TB lovers.

uisha

Novice
Jokes on you, the game is doing even better than I predicted. 95 on metacritic.

I think it will lower a bit, but still remain above 92.
Why would it possibly lower? It already has 35 reviews, which pretty much encompasses all the credible (and thus arithmetically weighted) reviewers. Moreover, It has only gone up since release.
95 is the final result, which is an astounding result, and matches with shadows of ann. Who would have thought it would be DOS 1 and DOS 2 making he equivalent leap between BG1 and BG2, who would have thought that Larian is becoming a more prestigious name amongst general gamers than Bioware.

Metacritic results are viewed extremely seriously in the industry, and the ensuing swarm of GOTY awards would boost sales even further, DOS 2 is the so far the peak and fruit of the CRPG incline movement, we should thank kickstarter and early access for making this possible, and of course Larian's ambition.

Kitchen Utensil

Why would it possibly lower? It already has 35 reviews, which pretty much encompasses all the credible (and thus arithmetically weighted) reviewers. Moreover, It has only gone up since release.
95 is the final result, which is an astounding result, and matches with shadows of ann. Who would have thought it would be DOS 1 and DOS 2 making he equivalent leap between BG1 and BG2, who would have thought that Larian is becoming a more prestigious name amongst general gamers than Bioware.

Metacritic results are viewed extremely seriously in the industry, and the ensuing swarm of GOTY awards would boost sales even further, DOS 2 is the so far the peak and fruit of the CRPG incline movement, we should thank kickstarter and early access for making this possible, and of course Larian's ambition.

I would have preferred a good game with shit ratings though.

:happytrollboy:

Also, lol@credible reviewers.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

A few non-English reviewers may not be in touch with the hype machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom