Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Arnust

Savant
"Twitter diatribes"

"Attacks on men"

Truly doomed. Meanwhile "Harvey smith trying really hard to approack Anita" in reality means "they met on a conference and he didn't immediately slap her"

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't understand, are they angry that people other than them can be confident?

i mean that kind of sounds like incel talk: "Goddamn those confident chads!"

lol i'd love for someone to bring up this comparison to them

Don Peste

Arcane
While all my sources denied that Prey and Dishonored had been negatively affected by the far left views of those mentioned above, I was determined to write this piece of shit no matter what.

Arnust

Savant
I'm seeing more of a fuss about this Arkane "becoming SJW" than the more recent Riot Games scandal. Hilarious.

A horse of course

Truly doomed. Meanwhile "Harvey smith trying really hard to approack Anita" in reality means "they met on a conference and he didn't immediately slap her"

Yeah ok.

Smith was a raging leftist long years before anyone had heard of Sharky anyway, so it's a moot point.

Arnust

Savant
Seeing it, he's not really making anything up. In Dishonored 1, on the game's morals it's better to sell off Lady Boyle to a life of slavoury, abuse and rape to some creepy guy than to just kill her. And "It's like that in our parallel history" is true but doesn't hold much water when it's entirely fictional beyond the set of inspirations, so there¡s hardly much of an obligation to stay true to that.

If they REALLY wanted to be explicit abour progressivism, I'd bet that, say, Emily would be older and she'd have somehow "made it better for women" in her rule, thus also empowering her. Instead of what D2 had, which was her being kind of useless as a queen and a brat, and most "feminism" generally felt like a bit of coincidence, time, different culture over at Karnaca and the presence all the witches.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
More stupid operator skins.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/1736589520010157756/

Prey: Mooncrash Update 1.10 – Patch Notes
Hello Prey Community!

If you watched our Prey panel during Bethesda Gameplay Days on Friday, then you know that today we've launched the Rogue Moon update for Mooncrash! If you didn't see the panel... then SURPRISE we've launched the Rogue Moon update for Mooncrash! This update is a celebration of incredible indie Roguelikes that inspired the Arkane team as they worked on Mooncrash.

The patch notes are short and sweet, as this update mainly features new operator skins.

New Operator Skins
  • Spelunky theme
  • Rogue Legacy theme
  • Darkest Dungeon theme
  • Risk of Rain theme
  • Dead Cells theme
  • Don’t Starve theme

You can find out more about the update, and why Arkane specifically chose these six games, here: https://beth.games/2MOGXtE

And the YouTube trailer is here: https://beth.games/2wK1i9u

Please let me know if you have any questions!

All best,
Abigail

Typhon Hunter can't be that far off now.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Is it just me or Typhon Hunter looks too gimmicky for its own good? It looks like one of those dozens of throwaway multiplayer modes Resident Evil 6 had. Why not just introduce a Deathmatch mode? I remember Metroid Prime 2 did a great job of repurporsing its PvE mechanics for its PvP mode, setting it apart from the scores of generic MP Shooters by allowing you to use many of Samus's abilities in arenas peppered with secret and alternative routes that could be used through those abilities to ambush and escape you opponents, which could result in some amusing dynamics, like players racing for the Morph Ball cannon. It wasn't the pinnacle of competitive gaming or anything, but it was fun and I spent dozens of hours on playing it split-screen with my buddies. I could easily see Prey doing something similar with all of the abilities they implemented. Some areas could also easily, with a few tweaks, be turned into Deathmatch arenas, like the Arboretum. They could also allow you to choose from different classes. Typhon Hunter, as a concept, just sounds like a curiosity you would try a couple times before moving on. It's obvious that PvE games cannot compete with dedicated PvP games on their own turf, but inferior MP Shooter gameplay can probably be complemented by the quirks and theme of the game to at least generate interest among the people who liked the PvE content. I mean, people still play the Resident Evil 5 Versus mode after all these years (or at least they did a couple years back, haven't checked in a while). Oh well, we'll see how it turns out, perhaps it's more fun than it sounds.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Never finished this game although watched ending on youtube. I was close, ended when I had to backtrack 1241t26326 time but that time through
spehhs marine robots.
from all FPSes I played in years this one felt like the closest to old FPSes which did not hold your hand. Sure it's long af and dragged out but presentation and beginning is great so even if you don't finish it, the 20-30+ hours you spend on it are good anyway.

A horse of course

Never finished this game although watched ending on youtube. I was close, ended when I had to backtrack 1241t26326 time but that time through
spehhs marine robots.
from all FPSes I played in years this one felt like the closest to old FPSes which did not hold your hand. Sure it's long af and dragged out but presentation and beginning is great so even if you don't finish it, the 20-30+ hours you spend on it are good anyway.

Name one "old-school FPS" similar to Prey that doesn't have "Shock" or "Pathways" in the title.

Hines

Savant
Dualshockers: Well again with that in mind, people are more curious than they have been in a while about what Arkane is up to. I guess to ask something a bit more broad that you could speak to, is sticking with the immersive sim genre something you guys are still looking to do moving forward? It has kind of been your bread and butter.

Arkane: I’ve joked with someone before that immersive sims should die. [laughs] What I mean by that is that it should die in the way that a dandelion dies and all of its seeds fall and makes everything else better. So of course, there are values that are immersive sim values that we care about deeply.

We believe in creating very coherent, deep interesting worlds. We believe in giving players improvisational abilities. Those things are not going to change but we may import those values into other games — into other game experiences. Like we just did with Prey: Mooncrash. We basically said, hey, what if we took immersive sim Arkane-style values and merged those with some roguelike values? What would happen? Mooncrash is the result.

Dualshockers: That’s exactly what I was getting at. Not necessarily continuing to make only immersive sims but whether or not you’d still be working with those same ideas that are found in your games.

Arkane: No, it’s not like we’re going to be making racing games tomorrow. Those core values are still going to hold true. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to make aggressively single-player games on giant space stations for the rest of our lives.

Hopes for a Prey sequel sound rather bleak.

https://www.dualshockers.com/arkane-studios-interview-prey-mooncrash-dishonored/

Is this game good? Sort of in the mood for a System Shock 2 clone.

Someone kindly direct me to the impressions of a prestigious Codex personality who properly appreciates SS2.

RoSoDude

Arcane

Someone kindly direct me to the impressions of a prestigious Codex personality who properly appreciates SS2.

Screw it, I have the :obviously: tag, I'm about as obsessed with the design of SS2 as I am with that of DX, and I have a lot to say on Prey (uhhh expect more later).

Overall it's definitely worth playing if you know what you're getting into. A lot of the systems are ripped straight from SS2, and this is a good thing even though some of the designs miss the mark. There is also a good amount of genuine innovation, too, it just never reaches its potential and some of it seems only half-finished. But it's worth seeing some of the new directions Arkane wanted to take a spiritual Shock successor in, and it's a far far sight better than Bioshock in this regard.

I originally had a much more negative impression of the game when I first completed it just over a year ago. I chalk a lot of this up to two facts: a lot of the game's more hardcore features had been clearly cut prior to release, and I insisted on playing it on Nightmare difficulty to make up for it. It turns out this was a mistake, as Prey's difficulty settings are just lazy damage modifiers that don't really serve to make the game more challenging. Moreover, the swiftness of death on higher difficulties (often from poorly communicated and thus seemingly cheap attacks) will encourage you to save liberally to avoid the more tedious gameplay on offer, namely the obsessive looting of trash you'll be doing throughout the game.

When the game was updated in June with some of the hardcore features (weapon degradation, traumas, limited oxygen in space) re-enabled in the Survival Mode options, I replayed it with a more positive outlook and found I liked the game quite a lot better in my second run. Importantly, I turned the difficulty down to Normal and imposed a strict no-quicksave rule on my playthrough. It turns out this was both more tense and challenging, and you'll start to actually care about that stack of resources you've been hoarding and might even need to start crafting medkits, ammo, psi hypos, and in my case, weapons. See, the Survival Mode options are nice, and I was initially quite happy with them, but Arkane sadly shit the bed in terms of balancing them. Weapon degradation adds a great amount of depth to character building unless you actually spec into Repair 1, which for its pitiful cost of one Neuromod is stupidly effective at keeping your weapons in order. The traumas are a great addition to gameplay, but your mileage may vary on how many of each kind of trauma-clearing item you find and whether it's better to just abuse the heal bots. Limited oxygen in space sounds fantastic, except it only kicks in at low suit repair, which you should never experience at any point thanks to the insane overabundance of Suit Repair Kits (for anyone curious, every medical cabinet alone has a 1/3 chance to have one of these in EACH of its slots). If I can find the time soon, I might whip up a very modest balance patch to address some of the more glaring issues, since it is just a matter of unpacking some configuration files and tweaking some default values.

There are also some rather boring levels (you may feel the urge to quit at the Crew Quarters, *yawn*), the last stretch of the game is more dull and drawn-out than "overly intense" as some game journos have accused, and the story is sadly a snoozefest outside of some intrigue at the beginning, which actually kinda matters for this kind of game where the gameplay and fiction feed into one another. As late as April of this year, these aspects along with my original complaints might have caused me to recommend against the game, unless you just need more Immersive Sim in your life. But now, I'm at least tepid and possibly eager in recommending Prey to any fans of this sort of game, especially SS2. Just make sure you enable the Survival Mode options and rely entirely on the autosave (it's actually pretty lenient). Oh, and do yourself a favor and play the DLC, in some ways it's a more impressive, hardcore, and complete work than the base game.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is this game good?
Good for what it is, I guess. SS clones are like fries - they're pretty good even when they're bad.

In a perfect world it's kinda meh. There are two huge boner killers with some minor stuff attached to them:

1. It has to have one of the worst monster menageries in gaming horror history. The creatures are super lame and not scary at all. And the combat is mostly irritating and tiresome instead of tense. That's why the game relies almost solely on jump scares to provide the actual horror so I guess a lot depends on whether getting spooked by a toilet paper coming alive and jumping at you is your type of thing.
2. It's way too focused on trash collecting (literally - you'll be picking up pieces of paper and fruit peels) that you then of course use in a mandatory crafting system. I guess bethesda demands every game associated with them to be about bin dipping, but it's mostly as lame as always. Majority of crafting is not needed and the few things that are actually useful tend to trivialize the difficulty too much. The character system also successfully rivals Wasteland 2 in having the biggest amount of skills for gathering additional trash. There's even a "skill" for moving containers blocking doors that has like three separate "levels" for different "levels" of boxes and I'm not even kidding.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

The game even has a demo so why not try playing that and making up your own fucking mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom