Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
2 Prey or Not 2 Prey

Get on with it you cunts.

I'm not sure Prey 2 will be good without Colantonio but who knows.

Latelistener

Arcane
Arkane was leaning towards SJW even with Raph on board. Now I'm pretty sure it's going to be another shitshow similar to Dontnod (another French developer).

Not just SJW, but also with multiplayer. Have you seen their new game? Who would even play that? No one is even talking about it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not just SJW, but also with multiplayer. Have you seen their new game? Who would even play that? No one is even talking about it.

No one has seen it, all we've had is a CGI announcement trailer. We know almost nothing about it. People will (or won't) get hyped when there's something to actually get hyped (or not) about.

Silly Germans

Wasn't their last game Wolfenstein : Young Blood ? I wouldn't be
surprised if their next game/s are more action focused.

Perkel

Arcane
I feel very sorry to say this, but I've abandoned this game out of boredom after 5 or 6 hours. Pretty overrated.

Same story here. I don't really dig black goo enemies design and let's not rattle cage here, game doesn't have any deep systems to have some great game-play unlike something like SS series. Every obstacle in those first 5-6 hours feelt like it was specifically designed for player rather being something created out of gameworld events and you just happens to be there to figure it out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I fucking loved Arx Fatalis back in the day and Dark Messiah was p. good too but nuArkane feels like a totally different dev. Everything they do feels incredibly banal and lame and tryhard at the same time. Like Mozart's son who's convinced he's just as good as his old man (also bc a lot of fans tell him he is).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm thinking about replaying the game with a psi build from time to time. But when I remind myself that there are like five enemy types, four of which are "scary pictures drawn by a kid in a 2015 low budget horror movie that the protagonist sees in a notebook and no one says anything for a couple of seconds while suspense music plays" and the fifth one is a slightly bigger toaster that slowly floats towards you making bip-boop-imma-machine noises I'm like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ciox

Liturgist
I'm thinking about replaying the game with a psi build from time to time. But when I remind myself that there are like five enemy types, four of which are "scary pictures drawn by a kid in a 2015 low budget horror movie that the protagonist sees in a notebook and no one says anything for a couple of seconds while suspense music plays" and the fifth one is a slightly bigger toaster that slowly floats towards you making bip-boop-imma-machine noises I'm like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
It wouldn't be so bad if you could just start the game with a psi build, but no, you have to go through the intro, the tutorial area, and enough gameplay to find and use the pistol, shotgun, gloo gun and stun gun before psi is unlocked, and then research shenanigans before the psi ability tree begins to open up, epic.

RoSoDude

Arcane
That decision really baffled me, because you already have to research the psi powers before you can install them anyway. There's already a ramp of complexity without locking off the alien stuff until Psychotronics.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I fucking loved Arx Fatalis back in the day and Dark Messiah was p. good too but nuArkane feels like a totally different dev. Everything they do feels incredibly banal and lame and tryhard at the same time. Like Mozart's son who's convinced he's just as good as his old man (also bc a lot of fans tell him he is).
I think Prey is almost great, which I guess is what you could say about pretty much all of Arkane's stuff. There are lots of good elements that are even executed reasonably well, but it's still not something you'd have any urge to get back to after you've finished it once. You can't find the same kind of creative spark that you could in Looking Glass games. Prey just needed a bit more of something — a real struggle for survival, more variety in enemy design, a more challenging and interesting final third (maybe with a second major location), a gripping story with memorable characters, a SHODAN-tier antagonist, whatever. It just falls a bit short like it was content with being just "pretty good" all around.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I assume the reason for locking them out was for storytelling purposes since the usage of Typhon powers makes up a lot of the plotline.

I assume the reason for locking them out was for storytelling purposes since the usage of Typhon powers makes up a lot of the plotline.
Really? I'm assuming the reason is that the average IQ of game reviewers meant that there was a hard cap on new things to introduce per area and that cap was approximately 2.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well that too, I keep forgetting games need to be accessible to the lowest common denominator or else developers won't get their metacritic bonuses.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It wouldn't be so bad if you could just start the game with a psi build, but no, you have to go through the intro, the tutorial area, and enough gameplay to find and use the pistol, shotgun, gloo gun and stun gun before psi is unlocked, and then research shenanigans before the psi ability tree begins to open up, epic.
There's an NG+ mode and if I remember correctly you get the psychoscope when you reach your office for the first time, meaning shortly after the beginning of the game.

ciox

Liturgist
There's an NG+ mode and if I remember correctly you get the psychoscope when you reach your office for the first time, meaning shortly after the beginning of the game.
Big if true.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Big if true.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/prey-new-game-plus-gameplay-changes/amp/

But it's NG+, it also gives you all of your skills and shit from a previous playthrough. Making it a joke unless you hacked a save that finished the game to have a completely clean character.

Really wish devs would put a bit more effort into their NG+ systems. It can't be that hard to present the player a list of options to tweak the difficulty, parameters of what they keep, and stuff like randomize enemies or lower how much random material you scavenge. Sengoku Rance is still miles ahead of the rest of the game industry in this regard with how it made NG+ its own part of the game with a points system that rewarded you for what were basically achievements and allowed you to unlock starting with whatever you wanted. In fact its the only game I have ever speedrun because its actually a supported part of the game systems.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
I've also cleared the game several times but can't use that function because I cleared it before the update that added NG+ came out I guess? It would still be interesting to see even if you're overpowered and broken, but nope.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I bet if you took one of your endgame saves from before the Mooncrash update and used it to complete the game again it'd let you take it into NG+?

RoSoDude

Arcane
Not sure if any of you noticed, but the 2018 Survival Mode patch disabled weapon swapping during firing/reloading/jamming animations because of the way the weapon degradation feature was implemented. This made swapping between the GLOO cannon and wrench more sluggish since you have to wait for the firing cycle down animation to finish, but the worst of it was firing off your last Stun Gun shot and getting stuck in the reload animation while you mean to swap to another weapon for a finisher, nullifying the purpose of stunning the enemy in the first place. I couldn't fix this overall, but I did at least find a way to remove the auto-reloading on the Pistol, Shotgun, Stun Gun, and Huntress Boltcaster (the GLOO Cannon and Q-beam work differently because they're hold-to-fire), which finally motivated me to actually update my mod with some minor fixes and tweaks that I've been sitting on for a full year now.

https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/40

#### Changes from version 1.2 -> 1.3 ####
-Removed auto-reload on security weapons when running out of ammo as reload animations can no longer be canceled due to the Survival Mode patch
-Decreased Lab Tech I/II Neuromod cost from 4/6 to 3/5 (was not actually implemented as claimed in the initial changelist)
-Decreased Mimic Matter I/II/III Neuromod cost from 2/4/5 to 2/3/4 (was not actually implemented as claimed in the initial changelist)
-Changed GLOO ammo fabrication plan from 0/0/2/0 to 0/0/1/0 (was not actually implemented as claimed in the initial changelist)
-Updated fSlide damage reduction in changelist to 75% (already in the game, initial changelist wrongly claimed 80%)
-Decreased Mimic Matter I/II/III psi drain from 2/2/2 psi/s to 1/1/1 psi/s
-Decreased Psionic Aptitude I/II/III Neuromod cost from 2/3/5 to 1/2/3
-Increased Psychoshock psi cost from 30 to 35
-Increased Superthermal psi cost from 45 to 55
-Increased Nightmare Mindjack resistance from 50% to 75%

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ooh, then I guess Steam version actually will get Denuvo removed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom