Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As far as I know, his art for the past six months has exclusively been mural painting.

iqzulk

Augur
IRL mural paintings? And what about those "at least three game-related projects" he was hoping to realize?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes, real murals. People's lives take unexpected turns; I think he wanted to get away from computer monitors and have a more tactile/social engagement with his art. But you'd really have to ask him. Obviously, it was a disappointing turn of events from the standpoint of Cloudscape, but as his friend, I'm most interested in his enjoying the use of his prodigious talents. Also, those talents derive in part from his practical and diverse artistic experience -- I think if he comes back to game work, he'll come back even better than he was before.

Starwars

Arcane
Do you have a release date for the next Primordia patch? Kinda itching to replay it but might as well wait until the patch hits.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks cool. miner1b looks like he'd be right at home in Primordia :).

But Mark, if someone ever ever asks you about lore you never say you haven't written it! You use the Tolkien argument: I can tell you what's behind that mountain, but then I'd have to write another mountain behind it.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
@ Starwars: I would expect a week or two of testing, then we can release it. You really should wait for the patch.

@ tuluse: Honesty is the best policy! Over the years, I've had a few friends who could do magic tricks, and when I ask them how, they always give that smug pseudo-magicians'-code "I can't tell you" claptrap. I'm not saying that Primordia (or anything I've written or can write!) is magical, but I think the authorial move of, "There is an answer, but I'm not telling you" is perhaps even shittier than refusing to explain a magic trick when someone asks. Plus, as neurotic as I was on Cloudscape's lore, it was still pretty functional compared to Tolkien's world-building, so his methods of response probably can't be mine. :D

rogozhin

Cipher
I just want to mention that I finally bought Primordia yesterday and didn't even stop playing until I had finished it and seen all the endings.

I guess my only complaint is that I would have liked more of everything (and maybe some harder puzzles, although I loved the fact that none of them required any illogical bullshit solutions)

:salute: MRY

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks so much. There's a follow-on illustrated story called "Fallen." Alas the link is broken, but if you email me at mark at wormwoodREMOVEstudios dot com, I'll send you the PDF. It's not quite "more of everything," but it's the best I can do.

sbb

Learned
I got Primordia on Gog a couple of weeks ago and I'm really having a bad time with the puzzles. I'd heard that they were designed to be solvable by humans, but that really doesn't seem to be the case. I love the atmosphere, the world, and the dialogue, but I'm in the middle of that part with the shopkeeper you have to keep buying items from and my will to play the game anymore is zero.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got Primordia on Gog a couple of weeks ago and I'm really having a bad time with the puzzles. I'd heard that they were designed to be solvable by humans, but that really doesn't seem to be the case. I love the atmosphere, the world, and the dialogue, but I'm in the middle of that part with the shopkeeper you have to keep buying items from and my will to play the game anymore is zero.
Do you have any familiarity with adventure games? I would say Primoridia is just on the hard side of average personally.

I will admit I looked up the solution to two or three puzzles (I remember the screens throwing me for a loop, turns out the solution was too simple, I was expecting something more convoluted).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I would say that players have split maybe 70%/30% along these lines. I often have claimed that Primordia's puzzles are "logical," but that's a little bit slippery. We're not talking about mathematical logic. What I really mean is, they fit with how I intuitively see the world, and my perception/projection of how others seem the world. Inevitably there will be mismatch.

sbb My suggestion would be to take a break for a little while. We've got a patch coming that makes the in-game hint system work quite a bit better, and that should help. Sorry that you're not enjoying the game more. If you ultimately throw in the towel completely, drop me a line and I'll send you a list of unused game keys I have floating around and hopefully there'll be something there you want. I hate for people to buy Primordia and walk away annoyed.

rogozhin

Cipher
Thanks so much. There's a follow-on illustrated story called "Fallen." Alas the link is broken, but if you email me at mark at wormwoodREMOVEstudios dot com, I'll send you the PDF. It's not quite "more of everything," but it's the best I can do.
Thanks for the offer! It was already included in my GOG purchase though, will read it later.

The puzzles are definitely logical in the sense that thinking about the information and resources you have usually works far better than a trial-and-error approach. The only one I didn't figure out on my own was getting Crispy Crispin to talk to his lamp crush, and it took quite a while for me to remember where I might have seen Laurence. In both cases I felt a little stupid afterwards.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
For some reason, GOG does not have part 3 of the story. (Sigh.)

FWIW, the lamp puzzle is optional. You can also return the motor to Gimbal without fixing it, so getting the copper wiring is optional.

sbb

Learned
sbb My suggestion would be to take a break for a little while. We've got a patch coming that makes the in-game hint system work quite a bit better, and that should help. Sorry that you're not enjoying the game more. If you ultimately throw in the towel completely, drop me a line and I'll send you a list of unused game keys I have floating around and hopefully there'll be something there you want. I hate for people to buy Primordia and walk away annoyed.
You may just be the coolest developer I've ever met :) Will I need to start a new game for the patch? Also, I don't reckon I'm going to throw in the towel completely and probably will not be needing those game keys (what an offer though...), I'm ridiculously interested in the world and will eventually walkthrough my way through it if I have to.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Koschey I have no idea. For a while I was pestering them about it by email, and somehow it just never happened. There are no obstacles on my end to their having it!

sbb No, thanks to the coder's brilliance, this time the saves will stay unscathed. So you can pick right up. In fact, if you'd like, I could send you a link to the beta patch so you could just keep playing as is. (If you want it, just email me; it's a large DL though.) For your purposes, the main change is that you can click on Crispin whenever you want for a hint. (If you click twice is rapid succession, he brushes you off, but then will always give a hint the next time. By contrast, I think there's a 90 or 120 second timer between hints in the build you have.)

sbb

Learned
sbb No, thanks to the coder's brilliance, this time the saves will stay unscathed. So you can pick right up. In fact, if you'd like, I could send you a link to the beta patch so you could just keep playing as is. (If you want it, just email me; it's a large DL though.) For your purposes, the main change is that you can click on Crispin whenever you want for a hint. (If you click twice is rapid succession, he brushes you off, but then will always give a hint the next time. By contrast, I think there's a 90 or 120 second timer between hints in the build you have.)
That sounds nice. I'll look around for an email address, but is there an ETA on the full release?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's in testing with WEG, but Dave hasn't pushed the testers much, so it's taking a while. I would guess a week or two? My email is earlier in the thread.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So we need a couple extra testers for the upcoming patch. Any takers? If so, PM me. It's a pretty thankless job, alas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom