Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prisonscape Alpha - thread

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!

preview.png

Okay, fellow Codexers. We are finally starting the first phase of the dreaded (by me) of Prisonscape. For this, we wanted to try something exciting and interesting - we want to keep all the alpha feedback public and in this thread (and later on summarized in our blog posts). This way the observations made by the testers can be discussed publicly and maybe in the future we (and possibly others) can learn from these documented observations.

The game is still missing some stuff and we're planning to keep it in alpha until "it's done". We don't want to keep stacking features on top of features though.

We already have a small group of testers with years and years of experience with top tier RPG's such as Alpha Protocol and Diablo 3.

If we promised you access to alpha and you're not on the alpha mailing list, email us at contact@heaviestmatter.com and I'll get back to you.

We still take alpha testers, but we want to keep the pool of testers relatively small. If you can play each alpha release for a good while and offer good critique, send me an email. Don't apply if you expect to play a ~finished game. :)

NOTE: pre-ordering only gets you access to the beta.

Most of the gameplay is scripted with Lua, so if you want to see how to mod the game check out the data/scripts folder.

What has been done so far:

* combat version 1
* dialogue
* leveling up
* skill training
* user interface: main menu, pause menu, weekly menu, character screen, quest journal, skills
* simple cutscene engine
* weekly events and cutscenes
* saving and loading

* lots of raw and unpolished dialogue
* lots of raw and unpolished quests
* most of the graphics are done, still need some polish
* most of the audio is done, sound effects still need work

* level editor
* tile editor
* scripting support (Lua)
* audio support (Ogg Vorbis)
* rendering with Java2D or OpenGL 2

To be implemented in Alpha 2:

* bug fixing
* combat version 2: effect particles, henchmen, consequences after battle
* help screens
* County Jail -> Courtroom -> Miranda Unit transition

Design questions for Alpha 2:

* Should henchmen be independent or player controlled? Should it depend on the player's intelligence?
* What kind of consequences after combat? Interrogation, solitary confinement, henchmen killed, player's family is threatened...
* Courtroom scene: actions made in the county jail should reflect dialogue between the judge and the player. Should courtroom decisions affect the player later on in Miranda Unit?

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that title screen could use some proper dithering

Van_Kaiji

Novice
While I make my first report through email, I thought it was interesting to say that the game loops when you want to
poison Mack with the fake heroin
. If you talk to your friend after what happens, the scene repeats once again, and the tracks overlap themselves each time.

vmode

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Sent out the first alpha build yesterday!

Van_Kaiji: I'll try to fix "game breaking" bugs for each alpha build, so that you don't get stuck in the story etc.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could someone record some footage? I'd love to see how it looks/plays even if we're seeing a far from complete game.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Could someone record some footage? I'd love to see how it looks/plays even if we're seeing a far from complete game.

Hey, I will make an official video, probably during the weekend. Just moved to Berlin so I've been a bit preoccupied with other stuff.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Question: Is it possible to save the game? I noticed Quick Save in the menu but it doesn't seem to actually save the game?

Based on an initial play through, I've noticed a lot of little things that would never happen in prison. Some of it I've decided is unavoidable because while you want to make the prison experience as realistic as possible it also still has to be a playable game. I'm going to start taking notes as I play and mark down little things I think can be improved without sacrificing game play, though.

Should henchmen be independent or player controlled? Should it depend on the player's intelligence?

I like the idea of it depending on the player's intelligence. Realistically speaking, a smarter player would have better control over their henchmen so that would be a way to apply that to the game play.

What kind of consequences after combat? Interrogation, solitary confinement, henchmen killed, player's family is threatened...

All of these are realistic scenarios, but generally speaking unless you're in good with the COs you're going to the hole if you fight and get caught. That's a given. Also, you're going to get interrogated if they suspect you. Finally, at a bare minimum you will lose basic privileges. They'll shake-down your cell to and take any contraband.

I would suggest maybe making it so that depending on how you handle a CO interrogation (i.e. how you answer their questions, for example) will determine whether you go to the hole or not. Also, maybe they ask you to snitch and if you snitch you get out of it but it could also have its own consequences (i.e. you lose reputation, get beat up, robbed, etc.). But, if you don't snitch and take the fall, especially if you protect another inmate doing so, the opposite would happen. The prison term for this is being able to "hold water," which means you can keep your mouth shut even when faced with consequences.

A henchmen being killed is also a good consequence. Your enemies may not take it out on you directly, but they'll kill an ally to send a message., most likely by jumping him in the shower, laundry room, library, etc. and shanking the hell out of him.

I think it also should depend on WHO you fight. The higher up the rung they are the more serious the consequences. I also think a concept of "sanctioned" fighting is interesting. Sometimes fights are organized between gangs to "squash beefs." Basically two people with problems with each other go at it with leaders from each gang standing by making sure it stays between them and no one else gets involved. It resolves problems without causing all out gang war. The other advantage of this is that they watch for COs and help you conceal/clean up any blood, bruises, cuts, etc. so the possibility of getting caught is lower. Maybe you could also have other consequences for "unsanctioned fighting," like if you get in good with a particular gang and then fight an allied gang member without their consent they have consequences for you.

Finally, maybe add an item that allows you to clean up after a fight to decrease the odds of getting caught (i.e. cleaner for blood, clean uniform or ice pack to immediately keeping swelling down).

In prison, if two people get into a fight and no CO sees it, people will help them conceal it as quickly as possible by doing things like mopping up blood, getting them ice or clean clothes. Those involved will usually lay low and stay in their cell for a couple days until they're healed, meaning missing meals and having to avoid COs at every turn. I remember one fight where two people used pad locks like brass knuckles and busted each other up pretty bad. One guy got busted open and was leaking blood all over the floor. He left a trail from the scene to the shower. We all grabbed mops and cleaners to conceal what had happened, the other guy got some ice and laid down while the blooding guy showered and people got clean clothes for him and put them outside the shower. The crazy thing was that they were cell mates (cellys) and remained so and neither of them got caught. It was also 10 mins before count time and it was the 4pm count which is the big one. Normally anyone showering during this count would be in big trouble and would have to get out of the shower before they counted, but for some miraculous reason this time they just counted him in the shower.

vmode

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Question: Is it possible to save the game? I noticed Quick Save in the menu but it doesn't seem to actually save the game?

Based on an initial play through, I've noticed a lot of little things that would never happen in prison. Some of it I've decided is unavoidable because while you want to make the prison experience as realistic as possible it also still has to be a playable game. I'm going to start taking notes as I play and mark down little things I think can be improved without sacrificing game play, though.

Should henchmen be independent or player controlled? Should it depend on the player's intelligence?

I like the idea of it depending on the player's intelligence. Realistically speaking, a smarter player would have better control over their henchmen so that would be a way to apply that to the game play.

What kind of consequences after combat? Interrogation, solitary confinement, henchmen killed, player's family is threatened...

All of these are realistic scenarios, but generally speaking unless you're in good with the COs you're going to the hole if you fight and get caught. That's a given. Also, you're going to get interrogated if they suspect you. Finally, at a bare minimum you will lose basic privileges. They'll shake-down your cell to and take any contraband.

I would suggest maybe making it so that depending on how you handle a CO interrogation (i.e. how you answer their questions, for example) will determine whether you go to the hole or not. Also, maybe they ask you to snitch and if you snitch you get out of it but it could also have its own consequences (i.e. you lose reputation, get beat up, robbed, etc.). But, if you don't snitch and take the fall, especially if you protect another inmate doing so, the opposite would happen. The prison term for this is being able to "hold water," which means you can keep your mouth shut even when faced with consequences.

A henchmen being killed is also a good consequence. Your enemies may not take it out on you directly, but they'll kill an ally to send a message., most likely by jumping him in the shower, laundry room, library, etc. and shanking the hell out of him.

I think it also should depend on WHO you fight. The higher up the rung they are the more serious the consequences. I also think a concept of "sanctioned" fighting is interesting. Sometimes fights are organized between gangs to "squash beefs." Basically two people with problems with each other go at it with leaders from each gang standing by making sure it stays between them and no one else gets involved. It resolves problems without causing all out gang war. The other advantage of this is that they watch for COs and help you conceal/clean up any blood, bruises, cuts, etc. so the possibility of getting caught is lower. Maybe you could also have other consequences for "unsanctioned fighting," like if you get in good with a particular gang and then fight an allied gang member without their consent they have consequences for you.

Finally, maybe add an item that allows you to clean up after a fight to decrease the odds of getting caught (i.e. cleaner for blood, clean uniform or ice pack to immediately keeping swelling down).

In prison, if two people get into a fight and no CO sees it, people will help them conceal it as quickly as possible by doing things like mopping up blood, getting them ice or clean clothes. Those involved will usually lay low and stay in their cell for a couple days until they're healed, meaning missing meals and having to avoid COs at every turn. I remember one fight where two people used pad locks like brass knuckles and busted each other up pretty bad. One guy got busted open and was leaking blood all over the floor. He left a trail from the scene to the shower. We all grabbed mops and cleaners to conceal what had happened, the other guy got some ice and laid down while the blooding guy showered and people got clean clothes for him and put them outside the shower. The crazy thing was that they were cell mates (cellys) and remained so and neither of them got caught. It was also 10 mins before count time and it was the 4pm count which is the big one. Normally anyone showering during this count would be in big trouble and would have to get out of the shower before they counted, but for some miraculous reason this time they just counted him in the shower.

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

As you have noticed, we had to cut some of the "realistic" stuff in order to keep the gameplay fun.

Player's intelligence is going to be the main factor in controlling/recruitng henchmen, we just need to balance it so that playing an INT character isn't OP as fuck. :-D

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Hey, I will make an official video, probably during the weekend. Just moved to Berlin so I've been a bit preoccupied with other stuff.

Still haven't had time to do this, sorry! I recently moved to a new city and it's been a bit hectic lately. But it's coming!

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Alpha 7 released. Basically, at this point, this has become a hobby project.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
What we achieved in Alpha 7:

FEATURES
- Combat particle effects
- Combat sound effects
- Alert levels
- Reputation UI
- Auto-saving
- Level transitions v2

TASKS
- First area "quest pipeline" finished and tested
- Skill training updated

GRAPHICS
- Some new animations

S1YRKs9.png

Reputation screen

gow5KIb.gif

Gunfight with placeholder characters

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Prisonscape Alpha 9 released!

NOTE: Release notes might contain spoilers!

Features

Implement animations editor
Implement debug console
Implement health regeneration
Implement item stacking in inventory

Tasks

Add skill trainings to NPC’s
Create extortion cutscene
Improve Miranda quest line
Create wiping the files cutscene
Add job: Get Comics (Lobster)

Bugs

Fix cutscene black bars
Fix no stat points available after level up
Fix Danny disappearing in the intro cutscene
Fix missing audio in combat

Alpha 10 release is due on 14th of June with the following features in mind:

Day cycle
Options menu
Trading
More dialogue options

New combat UI
Animations to all characters
2nd area job (quest) pipeline testing

Migration to OpenJDK
Remove 32-bit libraries

Bug squishing

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Not sure if anyone's here anymore, but I just gotta update that Alpha 10 has been released and Alpha 11 will be done by the end of the year. I have been churning out NPC's, the total at this point comes to around 200. Beta will hopefully begin in February.

JxVM2xx.gif

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
I also made a short video of the game in its current state:

I will make more of these as soon as we have some kind of working version of the new combat system.

Old Hans

Arcane
I dont know whats going on, but the pixel art is nice. also nice to see Cory Booker's arch nemesis T-Bone in the game.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
vt0T7gh.gif

Things are progressing at fast pace! We reached 300 NPCs, the new combat system is coming along nicely and we also have some new and amazing animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom