Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #26: $4 Million Stretch Goal - Chris Avellone Will Play Arcanum

kaizoku

Arcane
Um Activison owns the rights to Arcanum. Even if for whatever fucking reason Obsidian approached Activision to make another Arcanum, why would they? They now can make any kind of cRPG they want. With no limitations. An Arcanum 2 would be just more crap Publisher demands Action rpg Shit.

But one thing I WISH they would do, is approach Bethesda and do a Fallout spin-off as it were... in their new Isometric PE engine. Imagine, Fallout, back in it's beautiful original perspective and turn-based. THAT would be pure fucking awesome. Even if it was under Bethesda's Publishing leash. Just don't go with that metacritic clause again Feargun!

:hmmm:

So your thoughts on publishers are...?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Um Activison owns the rights to Arcanum. Even if for whatever fucking reason Obsidian approached Activision to make another Arcanum, why would they? They now can make any kind of cRPG they want. With no limitations. An Arcanum 2 would be just more crap Publisher demands Action rpg Shit.

But one thing I WISH they would do, is approach Bethesda and do a Fallout spin-off as it were... in their new Isometric PE engine. Imagine, Fallout, back in it's beautiful original perspective and turn-based. THAT would be pure fucking awesome. Even if it was under Bethesda's Publishing leash. Just don't go with that metacritic clause again Feargun!

:hmmm:

So your thoughts on publishers are...?

THAT will be answered in 2014.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
PE didn't impress me as something original and creative without limitations during the kickstarter...

Oh yes. They definitely went the "safe" route choosing Fantasy setting. Though what they decide to do with that setting could be be pretty fucking cool. Or not. But this is Obsidian we are talking here. Look at the fucking crazy shit they pulled out of the boring Forgotten Realms Setting and whipped out with Mask of the Betrayer. But we will know in 2014.

Let's keep our fingers crossed (or, for the MHDs among us, your dicks crossed) that they don't fuck it up, so that next time they'll have the balls to let MCA run the project and witness how he throws fantasy and swords under the bus. That could be hevan if it happens.

:bounce:

Yeah, I think New Vegas would be awesome, if not for the terrible engine.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Why would they do it? They can create a new post Apoc IP to keep the creative freedom AND the profits.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Why would they do it? They can create a new post Apoc IP to keep the creative freedom AND the profits.

Very good point. However I do think they have a special love of the fallout series though, as in like maybe a long lost child. But to be completely honest, I would not mind a Fallout Isometric spin-off even if it was under the leash of Bethesda. They *seems* pretty open to story and characters Obsidian has ideas for in a game, much more so than WotC/HASBRO. The only problem is working around all the fucking terrible LORE RAPE Bethesda keeps doing to the series.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Interplay was denied Wasteland and made Fallout. Now it would be interesting to see what can Obsidian do with the idea. The retro style is strength of FO, but is also it's weakness as if it's done half way like in FO2 it looses it's point. Besides they have TC, MCA, JS and can get GZ and many more. And I have A LOT of faith in TC, since he was consistent, well spoken and the best guy during ALL the KS.

Beth would keep them on a tight leash and would take all the money from them afterwards. That's not a fair compensation. Besides Beth already did milk them with NW without any compensation for a HIT game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, they don't need to create another post-apocalyptic IP.

Wasteland: New Highpool, by Obsidian Entertainment :smug:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

EA stills owns the Wasteland IP doesn't it? Fargo just has the rights to create a sequel.

And Zenimax owns Fallout.

We do need another post-apocalyptic IP

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

EA stills owns the Wasteland IP doesn't it? Fargo just has the rights to create a sequel.

And Zenimax owns Fallout.

We do need another post-apocalyptic IP

InXile bought and now own Wasteland. EA Owns the IP to Wasteland. They gave permission for Fargo to use the IP in Wasteland 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think you both have it wrong. Brian Fargo owns the Wasteland IP. EA still has ownership over the actual Wasteland game, however.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Er let me clarify: InXile own the TRADEMARK to Wasteland now (making any video game with the name wasteland in it). The IP from the first game, EA still owns (as in the story, characters: Robotron Rangers etc...). EA allowed Fargo to continue with the reference of everything in Wasteland for Wasteland 2.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hope so no jewcent for EA from us. I would love to play some western or historic setting game done by Obisidian instead of another Post Apocaliptic tittle though... But it is Obsidian studio which made DnD and SW Games interesting to play so provided they won't fail wit PE would donate to any project. And about Arcanum... Do 1889 in space game instead.

kaizoku

Arcane
Space steampunk... I do not likie
But I tell you what,

Obsidian mixes this with this... and the universe starts contracting.

This would be a great world to explore.
In the first game you have to stop and alien conspiracy. And in the second you would strike back.
Obsidian, hire me while you can.

Tigranes

Arcane
Mrowak, I actually share the concerns about how the Kickstarter has been executed, and my biggest concerns are also about scope management and just how much they know and have planned about the costs and logistics of delivering the ever-largening pool of physical goods (to tens of thousands of people) as well as stretch goals. That said, I have no idea how you go from "what I see in Kickstarter" to "I can see inside their offices and THEY HAVE NO CLUE MAN, NO CLUE". By 'I have no idea', I mean, 'you have no idea', too.

Hey, how about proving to me they have an idea with a little thing like this. This is the problem with all their promises - they throw a notion, and everyone rejoices forgetting that they don't know what exactly is promised.

For example: what does "12 level mega-dungeon" mean? For all we know it can be 4-6 rooms on each level filled with trash-mobs (typical NWN2 dungeon). But everyone's rejoicing because "wow, megadungeon - 12 levels!" Or two big cities (because "Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two?"). As I have been proved by a very extatic Codexer here that they didn't necessarily mean anything by it - for all we know it may be Neverwiter from NWN2 OC all over again. Or Stamina/Health system - when I first heard about it I thought "wow, a system like in BaK" but many people shouted out "No! Not popamole regen!". You know what? Those people may be right - we don't know anything substantial about the project! It can be anything!

And why I think they have no clue? Because they have refused to provide any plan or vision statement whatsoever. Also by the fact that Fergus is already going "Well, I am not sure about this promise, I don't think it will work" in Kickstarter comments sections. By the fact that their promises don't mean anything on any level. Also by the lack of the stretch goal at the end of campaign. And lastly by each and every game Obsidian developed as a studio had problems that directly stem from poor planning.

How is the Torment Vision Statement any more specific than the sum of the Kickstarter information?? We have a lot more concrete stuff on PE than Torment with that statement, or even, any investor / publisher meeting presentation that would have gone with that statement. Seriously? You want them to specify things to the level of how big each level of a mega-dungeon is?

I share your concerns, the KS at launch was far too info-light and the nature of scope expansion during the Kickstarter period seems very tough to control. But if you're pointing to the Torment Vision Statement or saying the stamina/health mechanic is "way too little info" at this stage, that just makes no sense.

I think you impute far too much to Obsidian that which only exists in your imagination, or at least is unverified. E.g. it sounds as if you are imagining a process where it's day 25 of Kickstarter, Josh Sawyer is sitting in his room reading KS backers talk about HP, then he thinks, hey, what about stamina? You really think that's how that concept was born?

What I think I would like to see is a rough breakdown or reasoning about why they chose these stretch goals, why they think they are doable, how the expanded budget corresponds non-linearly to stretch goals, etc.

Forecast July 2013:

Lulz ensues as Cleve becomes the one developer found to be not bulshitting and Grimoire gets released before P:E and W2 to critical acclaim. Codex dissolves in a litany of madness as Avellone and Fargo cock slurpers an hero themselves out of despair, effectively ridding the codex of 99.9% of its userbase. Meanwhile, Blakemore is heralded as a savior of the genre, heralding the renaissance and new golden age of CRPGs.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Why do you lie vots...

On another subject, one good thing with MCA playing Arcanum is that maybe, and just maybe, it will plant the seed for an "Arcanum 2" by Obsidian.
And by Arcanum 2 you mean "Arcana: Of Ironforges and Occult Illusions" which would be a game surprisingly like Arcanum, only based in a new world that therefore doesn't violate the Arcanum IP and require the involvement of Activision.

Mind you, assuming P:E is successful, I'd just go to Activision and say "We'll give you $1 million for the Arcanum license. Take it or leave it. I mean, you, right here, right now, can have $1 million. Or we'll just make another game with another brand new setting and you get nothing - because let's face it, what are you really going to do with the Arcanum license? It's your choice."

Mind you, I'd also go to Wizards of the Coast and license D&D for another ToEE-style adventure. Actually, fuck that. Make a new game with ToEE's combat and similar engine style (only tile-based, so it doesn't feel like you're walking on a painting) and use the open source D&D shit floating about. Fuck licenses man. Fuck 'em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom