Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #44: On Melee Engagement

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    The combat/game systems were what I was intensely worried about with Project Eternity (i.e they've never done good combat, either in Infinity Engine or since), and it seems like my worries were perfectly justified.

^ Top  
  2. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  3. hiver Guest

hiver
    Hey... this is great. Upgrading the Real Time with some cool Turn Based mechanics.
    About time.

By the description it looks like it will play very, very nicely indeed and upgrade that whole section of combat tactics requirements.
    :thumbsup:

Everything except that grimoire bash thing, of course... but then again, as soon as there are any sort of magic "books" in the process, magic system cant be that good anyway.

^ Top  
  4. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    When it comes to books, maybe they will have a Vogon-poetry-read-attack too. It would clear the entire screen after a couple of verses.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    A great rebuttal to that whole update about melee engagement would be, "Hey, you know what would completely fix this problem and all the kludgy game balance pretzels you twist into to try to solve it? TURN BASED COMBAT." It really is sad that we're going to be saddled with all these dilemmas that wouldn't exist at all if they just, you know, took the D&D they're copying whole-sale anyway and ported it over as exactly what it is, turn-based combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Welcome to Sawyer's design school.

^ Top  
  7. Gozma Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    Respect for worthless late '90s compromise designs intended wholly to draw in Diabloheads must be maintained for nostalgia purposes

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Darklands

^ Top  
  9. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Cool to see that the Grimoire demo has made an impression big enough for them to already incluede a reference. :thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    wut

^ Top  
  11. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I like the term diablohead.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    Does turn based combat give me simultaneous movement/combat? Because that's the whole point of RTwP.

^ Top  
  14. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    That's exactly what Sawyer's doing. Don't you keep go on about how P:E is MMO/DOTA/Diablo combat?

Engagement mechanics are really the first details that had problems in historically (read: NWN2) in RTwP. But that doesn't say it can only in work TB. Much will depend on feedback.

^ Top  
  15. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Not really grasping what you're saying, here. Could you explain? Typically the way it works is you move around in real time until you get into combat. I'm completely fine with a setup like XCOM where combat maps are distinct from other types of gameplay, though I can't say I ever expect to see that in a full-fledged PC RPG.

^ Top  
  16. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Trying to be as awesome as Darklands is way beyond Obsidian or any modern developer, though. Come to think of it, Darklands is the only game I've _ever_ played where shit combat doesn't bother me in the slightest because the rest of the game is just that much better. Torment comes to the closest, but lacks Darklands autistic rich attention to detail.

^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I was just trolling really, but hey, let's say RTwP did originate as a compromise. So what? From compromises and limitations new disciplines are born.

Wolfenstein 3D was John Carmack's compromise, trying to create a first person game that was faster and cheaper than Ultima Underworld. He ended up creating an entire genre.

RTwP games have their place, if you approach them as "squad-level RTSes" rather than as nerfed turn-based games.

^ Top  

18. This is really not entirely true. Squad based RTS would not really work unless it works like in Drakensang games, where the combat pace is slowed down quite a bit. Even DA:O did that to make the problem manageable. If P:E does that it might actually save the combat.

^ Top  
  19. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    JRPGs

:troll:

^ Top  
  20. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    I mean in-combat. Turn based is sequential actions, RT is simultaneous (or asynchronous, whichever is more accurate) actions. You don't fix problems of RTwP by going TB, you fundamentally alter the combat and encounters.

^ Top  
  21. Cynic Cipher

Cynic
    So, AoOs in RTwP.

Combat confirmed as clusterfuck.

^ Top  
  22. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Fair enough, I guess what I was trying to say is that in the real world, you either go real time (which is not strategic, it's either shooters or trolly-as-fuck ARPGs) or turn-based if you expect to have combat that isn't garbage. You can theorycraft whatever you want, but seeing as no one has ever made RTwP combat that isn't ass, I'm not expecting Obsidian of all people to manage it.

^ Top  
  23. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    RTwP didn't stop BG games from having great combat, and TB didn't make ToEE combat whole lot of fun. If you talk purely about the mechanics in how they control, I'd agree RTwP can be (and mostly is) more frustrating than TB, but for the combat itself, TB doesn't have any intrinsic advantage over RTwP.

^ Top  
  24. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Unless you're referring specifically to mage battles in BG2, I think I'm going to just take this opportunity to duck out of this thread before my head explodes from the psychic mindfucking I'm receiving.​

^ Top  
  25. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    With Strategems mod, BG combat is pretty fun and challenging.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)