Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #44: On Melee Engagement

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I’m a wizard, i can call meteors down from the sky and alter reality, but i can’t learn a fucking cantrip to stun/knockback/disarm an opponent, make his weapon really hot for a little bit, or whatever the fuck i know. This thing is truly sad and retarded.

Alex

Arcane
Guys, I really think you are approaching this wrong. This is an early vision of what the designers ave in mind. They are not worrying about having everything make sense and carefully fit together yet. Yeah, grimoire slam sounds silly. So, I am pretty sure they will either change it or work on the concept until it makes sens. Like, maybe grimoire slam will end up being a burst of the residual energy from the magic book, rather than an actual physical attack.

I mean, sure, if something is silly, we should point out it is silly. But I think we would be making a mistake to think this is final, or even intended to be final. I guess Obsidian just was trying to say "Hey guys, mage can disengage enemies by sending them away, since distance is so important for their usual strategies". I still think the idea of having the thief's escape ability be limited to a number of uses far more worrying. Because, since it is not so obviously silly, it is much more likely to remain in the final game. I mean, unless he is using rocket shoes with a limited amount of fuel, wouldn't it make sense to reduce his stamina instead while he flees?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, sure, if something is silly, we should point out it is silly. But I think we would be making a mistake to think this is final, or even intended to be final. I guess Obsidian just was trying to say "Hey guys, mage can disengage enemies by sending them away, since distance is so important for their usual strategies". I still think the idea of having the thief's escape ability be limited to a number of uses far more worrying. Because, since it is not so obviously silly, it is much more likely to remain in the final game. I mean, unless he is using rocket shoes with a limited amount of fuel, wouldn't it make sense to reduce his stamina instead while he flees?

Just tell yourself his Escape ability is fueled by SOUL POWER.

Captain Shrek

Just tell yourself his Escape ability is fueled by SOUL POWER.
Tell yourself that there is an I Win Soul power in there.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
grimoire_slam.gif
grimoire_slam2.gif
180.gif

Which is better and why? Discuss!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh answered my question about the Grimoier slam.

I had a debate about the Grimoier Slam. I've been told that "The idea that a wizard would use his most prized possession he/she/it is helpless without to slam big, ugly and green fuckers in the face is self-evidently ridiculous." Do you agree with this?
If grimoires were fragile objects, sure. They are not fragile objects. Grimoires are all enchanted capacitors of soul energy that happen to be made in the shape of a large book. Every time a wizard casts a spell, he or she gathers and channels soul energy through the grimoire before releasing it. Even without the wizard using it, a grimoire is a magic item.

If a wizard uses Grimoire Slam, he or she is not just swatting the target with the weight of a large book, but hitting the enemy with a magical capacitor. It happens faster than most spells are cast and, if it hits, can knock the enemy back. In a melee situation, that's why a wizard would use it.

It's also an optional class-restricted Talent, not a core class Ability. If you don't like the flavor of Grimoire Slam, don't buy it. You'll have spells you can cast with more traditional magic effects that could accomplish similar things, but they will require you to cast a spell to do so.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sawyer:

If grimoires were fragile objects, sure. They are not fragile objects. Grimoires are all enchanted capacitors of soul energy that happen to be made in the shape of a large book.

Thank God. I was afraid the explanation would make grimoires seem gimmicky. Casting magic with an indestructible magic capacitor shaped like a book is much better than just using an actual magical book. :troll:

There better be some pretty solid handwaving for all why capacitors are book shaped!

The grimoire slam sounds kind of silly, but that's just the name. It seems like its supposed to be releasing a burst of stunning energy, which is pretty consistent with the wizard role. I just wish it didn't require using terms like "capacitors of soul energy", as treating magic like a different kind of Super Science is one of my pet peeves. Plus actual grimoires of spells are cooler than channeling foci.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Couldn't they just do the thing where Gandolf slams his staff down and magics come out in a shockwave?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I imagine that if PE was science fiction rather than fantasy, the hacker class would have a computer slam ability too.
akN2H.jpg

But seriously, why not a bitch-slap with a "magically charged hand". Would have been at least mildly amusing instead of just plain dumb. Not that being dumb is the biggest problem, but rather his obsession with mages being too weak.

MCA
I'm cool with the book-slamming idea as long as the mere act of carrying a grimoire inscribed with spells that you would use to slam with, would have adverse affects on you and on those around you and maybe even cause additional fatigue. Maybe the mere act of inscribing a spell in a grimoire would add to its weight.

Oh but no, Sawyer is a faggot who keep wanking about retarded random shit while not delivering a single good and interesting system so fuck him and fuck his bitch-slap. Might as well call it cock-slap: Those who study magic have magical dicks so when a wizard slips his dick out and swings it about, it creates a repellent effect because, hey, MAGIC!

Kz3r0

Arcane
If grimoires were fragile objects, sure. They are not fragile objects. Grimoires are all enchanted capacitors of soul energy that happen to be made in the shape of a large book.
:notsureifserious:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:notsureifserious:

:lol:

The "happen to be made in the shape of a large book" is criminal. It's like they're talking to kindergarden children.

"And kids, Mr. Potato could run very fast because his leg augmentations happened to be made in the shape of shoes."

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You'd think that mages at some point would come up with a simple blast or wind gust spell to get rid of people in their face instead of slapping their spellbooks around.

Dorateen

Arcane
At this point, it might be wise for Obsidian to take a page out of Chaos Chronicles and just focus on making the game. Keep a lower profile, tone down the marketing and PR releases. This has gone beyond legitimate constructive criticism and community feedback, to where design decisions are now being openly mocked.

They've already taken a page out of Grimoire. Literally, it would seem.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
At this point, it might be wise for Obsidian to take a page out of Chaos Chronicles and just focus on making the game. Keep a lower profile, tone down the marketing and PR releases. This has gone beyond legitimate constructive criticism and community feedback, to where design decisions are now being openly mocked.

They've already taken a page out of Grimoire. Literally, it would seem.
boo fucking hoo

Chaos Chronicles post a lot of stuff too. The difference is that they rarely do something questionable. I think the only thing that got people butthurt were AI-controlled NPCs.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Chaos Chronicles post a lot of stuff too. The difference is that they rarely do something questionable. I think the only thing that got Grunker butthurt were AI-controlled NPCs.
Fixed for accuracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom