Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #6: Project Eternity To Use Unity Engine

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
That looks pretty much like an early Pixar movie.

Because it's an animated short. Don't look at the character, look at the effects, look at the buildings and vehicles. There's nothing cartoony about the engine's capabilities. Here, some more environments. This whole "Unity is cartoony" shit needs to end.

This one looks bad ass

Agreed. That is one awesome cartoon. I stuff on their asset store super cheap? I saw some packages that had trees and grass for $30. I thought that sounded cheap, but i don't really know what was in it. I there enough stuff in the asset store to build a whole game?

Licaon_Kter

Augur
I stand corrected then, although almost everytime I've talked with linux- or mac-users they've come across pretty damn smug or then I've mostly met smug linux-/mac-users.
Anyone who feels the the need to talk about what OS they use will come across as smug.
It's like the Codex, if someone from the outside comes here they'll only see the most voiced users opinions, only the multihead dick jokes, the jew gold, etc and then they just think that _everyone_ here is just a plain troll and they miss all the good and thoughtful stuff.

Data4

Arcane
Every time I hear "That looks cartoony", my brain goes into "Alright, ignore this fucker" mode. The reason is because it usually comes from people who feel like all games should look like Game X, where Game X features a particular style that they like the most. Any style that differs is regarded as somehow inferior. A game could come out with the intent to look cartoony and this type of idiot would say "Don't like it. Too cartoony", and feel pretty good about themselves for being clever.

data4's post is a bit too catoony for my taste

Alright. *ignores this fucker*

Suicidal

Arcane
Every time I hear "That looks cartoony", my brain goes into "Alright, ignore this fucker" mode. The reason is because it usually comes from people who feel like all games should look like Game X, where Game X features a particular style that they like the most. Any style that differs is regarded as somehow inferior. A game could come out with the intent to look cartoony and this type of idiot would say "Don't like it. Too cartoony", and feel pretty good about themselves for being clever.

Alright. *ignores this fucker*

How filmy of you.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.
:retarded:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.

Read these too, others corrected me and I stood corrected.
Licaon_Kter said:
Jarpie said:
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.​
Actually the Loki's CEO greed fucked up the Q3 Linux release, yeah the one that would have made Linux a main gaming platform, he stretched the Linux release date 2 weeks or so after the Windows one for some shitty boxes or somethin' thinking that 'oh well everyone would just wait for it'... guess what? they did not, so they ended up putting the exes up for the grabs so they had 5 Linux boxes sold yet 100000 Linux users playing (pirates or not)... holla... yeah, no wonder Linux games sell so bad since they don't bother to release them on the same timeframe as the Windows ones, yeah, Torchlight1 is great, bought it now for cheaps (well above the average Linux buyer that is) but wouldn't it been better for all of us to let me buy it on launch? WastelandZwei and Eternity get the full price from me... 'cause I can have them just like the rest. Look, I'm not special, I did not demand to be special, yet everyone thinks I'm special? fail​
Tolknaz said:
Jarpie said:
Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games. Back when Loki was doing ports of windows games for linux, they barely sold any, instead linsux nerds kept asking them to release the exe-files so they can get windows-version for cheaps or pirate it.​
For indie games at least that's not true. Humble Bundle stats show MAC and Linux owners buying 1/3 - 1/2 of various bundles. The iOS version of King of Dragon Pass reportedly sold twice as many copies in 4 months as the original disk version did in 7 years (despite much lower price, better availability etc. it's still a damn shame the original sold so poorly, it's quite simply one of the best games ever made). The original has been available from GOG for a few weeks, it would be interesting to see if it outsells the iOS version. Somehow i doubt that.​
I stand corrected then, although almost everytime I've talked with linux- or mac-users they've come across pretty damn smug or then I've mostly met smug linux-/mac-users.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Read these too, others corrected me and I stood corrected.
Licaon_Kter said:
Jarpie said:
Actually the Loki's CEO greed fucked up the Q3 Linux release, yeah the one that would have made Linux a main gaming platform, he stretched the Linux release date 2 weeks or so after the Windows one for some shitty boxes or somethin' thinking that 'oh well everyone would just wait for it'... guess what? they did not, so they ended up putting the exes up for the grabs so they had 5 Linux boxes sold yet 100000 Linux users playing (pirates or not)... holla... yeah, no wonder Linux games sell so bad since they don't bother to release them on the same timeframe as the Windows ones, yeah, Torchlight1 is great, bought it now for cheaps (well above the average Linux buyer that is) but wouldn't it been better for all of us to let me buy it on launch? WastelandZwei and Eternity get the full price from me... 'cause I can have them just like the rest. Look, I'm not special, I did not demand to be special, yet everyone thinks I'm special? fail
Tolknaz said:
Jarpie said:
For indie games at least that's not true. Humble Bundle stats show MAC and Linux owners buying 1/3 - 1/2 of various bundles. The iOS version of King of Dragon Pass reportedly sold twice as many copies in 4 months as the original disk version did in 7 years (despite much lower price, better availability etc. it's still a damn shame the original sold so poorly, it's quite simply one of the best games ever made). The original has been available from GOG for a few weeks, it would be interesting to see if it outsells the iOS version. Somehow i doubt that.
Yes, I apologize for the knee-jerk reaction, but lately I have started to get fed up with the anti-Linux hate, especially in the gaming community. You stating "Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games" without knowing what you're talking about didn't do you any favors either. There are some agitators out there (many, if not most, of them Microsoft-sponsored I assume) getting people all riled-up against Linux for no other reason that Linux is threatening various monopolies and then a lot of people get drawn into that, probably based on the inferiority feeling that most Linux users stir-up in them and on the lack of understanding of the principles at the base of Linux and other open-source projects.

Tolknaz is right about the Humble Bundle and Linux. Linux gamers are constantly the ones paying the most, even though, as a group, they end up paying for a smaller slice of the pie because they're fewer. Also, every Kickstarter project worth its salt offers a Linux version because there are a lot of Linux users that would like to stop depending on Windows for their gaming needs, so there's a definite demand for native Linux builds of a lot of games.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yes, I apologize for the knee-jerk reaction, but lately I have started to get fed up with the anti-Linux hate, especially in the gaming community. You stating "Macfags and linsux nerds are so fucking entitled even though they barely buy any games" without knowing what you're talking about didn't do you any favors either. There are some agitators out there (many, if not most, of them Microsoft-sponsored I assume) getting people all riled-up against Linux for no other reason that Linux is threatening various monopolies and then a lot of people get drawn into that, probably based on the inferiority feeling that most Linux users stir-up in them and on the lack of understanding of the principles at the base of Linux and other open-source projects.

Tolknaz is right about the Humble Bundle and Linux. Linux gamers are constantly the ones paying the most, even though, as a group, they end up paying for a smaller slice of the pie because they're fewer. Also, every Kickstarter project worth its salt offers a Linux version because there are a lot of Linux users that would like to stop depending on Windows for their gaming needs, so there's a definite demand for native Linux builds of a lot of games.

I probably should've chosen my words better. Userbase of linux and maybe macs has probably changed in the past 5 years or so, and those "I want everything free!"-linux users are probably more vocal than the rest which gives impression of them being very smug. As for mac-users, those "I worsphi almighty god Steve Jobs who art in heaven"-types are also probably much more vocal than the rest.

I was a bit surprised that linux-users had paid averagely lot more than the windows-users in Humble Bundle and I have to tip my hat for them. :incline:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
You guys talking about cartoony graphics realize that has nothing to do with the engine right? It's not like Unity comes with a "cartoon style" check box.

It is much more likely the result of
1. art style choices
2. budget limitations with art. photo realistic art assets cost a lot time and money. they also require tremendous amount of lighting tweaks and passes to make them look correct.
3. popularity or stylized art styles versus photo realistic art styles
4. availability of shaders and other rendering features. some small groups simply do not have the ability, money, time, or the know how to use or create advanced rendering features.

As an example, Onyx was used for Aliens RPG, DS3, and South Park. All three of those games had a distinct and unique look to each of them.

You can see a very small list of some games using Unity right here:
http://unity3d.com/awards/2012

Those art styles run the gamut, from cartoony to realistic.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You guys talking about cartoony graphics realize that has nothing to do with the engine right? It's not like Unity comes with a "cartoon style" check box.

It's so weird that this has to be explained to people. Not even so much here, but all over the internet. People google games on an engine and go "that's what it is then!". It's weird. And unfortunate, for Unity, since there's some bad output for people to base their conclusions on.

I still don't see how the WL2 graphics were cartoony either. They just looked unfinished to me, not cartoony.

EG

Nullified
So, that was done in Unity? Placement of models, rendering, the camerawork? If it is, I wouldn't have suspected it.

It's so weird that this has to be explained to people. Not even so much here, but all over the internet. People google games on an engine and go "that's what it is then!". It's weird. And unfortunate, for Unity, since there's some bad output for people to base their conclusions on.

I still don't see how the WL2 graphics were cartoony either. They just looked unfinished to me, not cartoony.

Have a hypothesis: In the past it was possible to guess the engine, as the texture/polygon count/lighting enforced a particular style for that engine.

Most games are cartoony. That this value falls anywhere between The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain and BioShock 2 shouldn't be the source of such rage. Worse, things that look great today will look cartoony as fuck when superior technologies and techniques surpass them. I know, stating the obvious . . .

Wasteland 2 looks cartoony because of its current pallet and the plastazine-like movements of its character models.
Conquistador is, too. It's dark, muted, there's no outright attempt to draw (in Diablo 3's way) a gigantic outline around the anatomy of the character model. Your models are also pretty detailed, or set far enough back to help cover the lack of realism inherent in this shit.
Of the two, in my fallible opinion, Conquistador is less cartoony than Wasteland 2.

Take that as you will . . .

almondblight

Arcane

In some places being unfinished makes things look cartoony. Look at the cacti, without the textures they're just big green circles that definitely look cartoony. The colors on the ground also wouldn't look so jarring with textures - I think someone textured up the picture in the photoshop thread and it looked a lot better. I also assume that they'll eventually have the ladder shrunk down to human size (and the combat stances will look a bit more natural).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think for some people cartoony means just outlines and exaggerated proportions. And cartoony obviously doesn't mean bad, but when it came to W2 cartoony was used in a negative way, as lacking in details, with flat surfaces and too strong colors.

It's so weird that this has to be explained to people.

What's so weird exactly? That not everybody knows how an engine works? And how are you supposed, as someone who really has not much of an idea how engines work, to know that most of what's being done with that engine looking like shit doesn't necessarily mean that nobody can make it look good?
Plus, yes, it depends on who uses it, but if the engine really sucks it doesn't really matter who uses it. If it has a sucky renderer (which makes everything look CARTOONY YES I IM SAYING CARTOONY OMG) then nobody can do anything about that save for modifying the renderer.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

It's too grimdark

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
In some places being unfinished makes things look cartoony. Look at the cacti, without the textures they're just big green circles that definitely look cartoony. The colors on the ground also wouldn't look so jarring with textures - I think someone textured up the picture in the photoshop thread and it looked a lot better. I also assume that they'll eventually have the ladder shrunk down to human size (and the combat stances will look a bit more natural).

Yes, for sure. But "cartoony" to me is about a stylistic choice made, unfinished is just a stage in the process.

That not everybody knows how an engine works?

That people don't know the difference between stylistic choices and tools, yes. I'm no programmer or modeler or whatever, I don't know dick compared to plenty of posters here, but that's still a pretty basic bit of understanding. I think.

Not denying engine limitations obviously or whatever. But I think the tendency is to just youtube a look at a game in the engine and extrapolate.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
They can be butthurt over unity all they want, but i suggest they get over it as it's not going anywhere. Unity's rapidly approaching engine giant status.

NovaSilisko

Novice
[this message eliminated by the retroactive edginess prevention society]

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

Novice
[this message eliminated by the retroactive edginess prevention society]

Last edited:

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Drocon.jpg

This appropriate?

That people don't know the difference between stylistic choices and tools, yes. I'm no programmer or modeler or whatever, I don't know dick compared to plenty of posters here, but that's still a pretty basic bit of understanding. I think.

Not denying engine limitations obviously or whatever. But I think the tendency is to just youtube a look at a game in the engine and extrapolate.
Which, depending on whether it's an incrementally updated engine or a particular iteration of a series of engines, can lead to assumptions that all Gamebryo engine games will look Civilization IV, when the engine has been adapted by both Bethesda and Mythic for their "RPG" games from Morrowind to Warhammer 40k AoR and WoH, and between CIV, Beth, and Mythic, we can clearly see that the engine itself really doesn't determine the "look" of a game. You can do the same thing with UE3: the Mass Effect series, Borderlands 1&2, Alpha Protocol, the Batman games, DCUO, Bioshock, Dungeon Defenders, the new X-COM games, Tribes: Ascend, and the Gears of War series all vary wildly in anything that could be considered cartoonishness.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Who, me? If by "fanboy" you mean "I like the engine" then sure, I guess. I'm not trying to push any agenda, just expressing distaste for what I feel is misguided hatred - hate the artists who made the game cartoony, or who stooped to using the asset store, not the engine itself.

I think people are concerned Obsidian are not using their pre-existing RPG engine. I am hesitant to donate for this reason.

Anyway, there are some very nice looking games made with Unity and a mass of forgettable ones, so clearly the results depend on the people, that are making the games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom