Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #62: Production Milestone Report - Areas, Characters, Features

Holler whenever you need,

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Baldur's Gate 2 was lame, when you could dump charisma and use other party members. DA:O was lame, when you had some good-for-nothing companion with herbalismand focsed main on combat.
At least with main char dialogues more value will be added to skills and attributes.

Baron

Arcane
1 :- "Is it because of my 3 charisma that I attach a dick and balls to the start of every sentence to a NPC?"

Kickstarter update - STRONGHOLDS said:
There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.
:)

Nice money sink too.

Dorateen

Arcane
So, can any party member initiate dialogue and converse with NPCs?

No, just the main character

I wonder if they are going with the NWN2 OC mechanism, when you select a companion to click on an NPC or cross over a speak trigger, the Main Character will be instantly teleported across the field to engage in the conversation.

Storm of Zehir was much better. This is the wrong Obsidian.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, can any party member initiate dialogue and converse with NPCs?

No, just the main character

I wonder if they are going with the NWN2 OC mechanism, when you select a companion to click on an NPC or cross over a speak trigger, the Main Character will be instantly teleported across the field to engage in the conversation.

Storm of Zehir was much better. This is the wrong Obsidian.

I imagine it may work like PS:T, where if you click with a companion, your main character will run over instead. (Try it, that's what happens)

Dorateen

Arcane
Ah, you mean with an actual running animation, across the screen. I was thinking of the near instantaneous jumping of the PC.

Still, don't like it, with the implementation of the Adventurer's Hall. Any party member should be able to converse with any NPC in the game world at any time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game is main character + friends, not equal group of characters.

The game is main character + friends, not equal group of characters.

And yet you have direct control over these "friends". But party based games always have this weird schizophrenia, whether it's through the dialogue thing mentioned here or game over on the main character dying, or whatever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And yet you have direct control over these "friends". But party based games always have this weird schizophrenia, whether it's through the dialogue thing mentioned here or game over on the main character dying, or whatever.
The player is not the main character.

The player is not the main character.

That's the schizophrenia. I have trouble thinking of games outside of party based crpg's where there is a main character and the player isn't him. Maybe I'm not thinking very hard though. Total Annihilation was the only game that came to mind, but at least that managed to get around the schizophrenia by making everything robots controlled by the big bot main character thus solving everything.

tuluse

Arcane
I guess I just don't have trouble with the concept. It's the same way Baldur's Gate and PS:T work, and those are the most popular isometric RPGs ever. So it makes sense PE is copying them.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
The main character presumably orders the party members around, which is why (in Torment at least) you hear them say things 'What is your bidding?/It will be done'/etc. Though this dtoesn't make a whole lot of sense with impulsive characters like Annah or Ignus.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Annah and Ignus say respective things like DONT YOU "ANNAH ME" YOU BLACK HEARTED SUCCUBUS HARLOT "shut off Im not deaf" or MUHAHAHAHA in case of burning flying corpse

That's the schizophrenia. I have trouble thinking of games outside of party based crpg's
Are you also one of the people who think that in blobbers characters are actually one body with four heads or :?

That's the schizophrenia. I have trouble thinking of games outside of party based crpg's
Are you also one of the people who think that in blobbers characters are actually one body with four heads or :?

Blobbers don't have a main character or do they?

edit: anyway, can't say I've played any blobbers, but from what I know there's no schizophrenia there that isn't purely graphical.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait, they're not going to use the Storm of Zehir system? Are they insane? They get praise for finally working out a system that solves an age-old party RPG issue with a system that is solid as shit, and they won't reuse it?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not the IE (BG2/PS:T) way :M

Oh, so in the one case where every being on earth agrees they've improved the formua they're reverting to the old system, but everywhere else it's the new and improved IE, eh? :M

I look forward to standing in front of a machine that needs repair and being unable to use my homie's Level Infinite repair skill to advance :love:

Arkeus

Arcane
Wait, they're not going to use the Storm of Zehir system? Are they insane? They get praise for finally working out a system that solves an age-old party RPG issue with a system that is solid as shit, and they won't reuse it?
Yeah, huh, i think i want a quote on that Infinitron/Roguey.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SoZ was not a personal story, PE will be. With such clearly defined personalities, letting everyone speak would be a huge headache.

Stats, sex, and race are all checked in dialogue, but not skills, as far as I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom