Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #62: Production Milestone Report - Areas, Characters, Features

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Icewind Dale is the Project Eternity lead designer's main contribution to party-based fantasy roleplaying until now, so you might want to learn to appreciate its finer points :M

well if PE turns out with great dialogue and a shittacular/meaningless combat/gameplay engine like IWD then I'll've more or less gotten what I expected from an IE knockoff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No. More skills covered = more active choice

so not the case in any absolute way. locking some dialogue options behind checks doesn't make a game more choozee or more reactive. it makes one playthrough differ more from another, sure, but only in a way the player doesn't usually even get to know about. one of my favorite game design moments in New Vegas was actually the goofy "YOU CAN'T USE THIS CHOICE" stat-too-low dialogue options.

I don't think you quite understand what "reactive" means.

crawlkill

Yes, it means the game world reacting to your choice of character build, not just to the actions you've performed. See - "Definition of an RPG", page 239, paragraph 6.

And then Infinitron replayed all of the classic RPGs and realized that no character build decisions make any difference in conversation anywhere outside of Torment, where everyone who knows the game just dumps every point into wisdom anyway. The world moved!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, it means the game world reacting to your choice of character build, not just to the actions you've performed. See - "Definition of an RPG", page 239, paragraph 6.

And then Infinitron replayed all of the classic RPGs and realized that no character build decisions make any difference in conversation anywhere outside of Torment, where everyone who knows the game just dumps every point into wisdom anyway. The world moved!

:hmmm:

First of all, Fallout, Arcanum.

Second of all, even in a game like Icewind Dale, that's not true. The folks at Black Isle loved their class checks.

crawlkill

The folks at Black Isle loved their class checks.

And you built your entire party from the start, so, uh...your...class check capacity was established from second one, and...and...

And Fallout conversations had science checks, medicine checks and speech checks. I love FO1 and 2 to death and have probably spent more time in them than in any other human pursuit, but they had science checks, medicine checks and speech checks. And every single one that showed up was always "the right choice that solves the problem," which was being objected to here. Seriously. New Vegas had more check-y dialogue than Real Fallout did.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The sound of goalposts being moved.

So, RPG combat sucks, skill checks suck. You sound like somebody who would rather play an "adventure game with C&C" than an RPG, crawlkill.

crawlkill

I like great dialogue? That was and remains the provenance of RPGs. I don't hate dialogue challenges, I just don't think they're fundamental. I'd like to see more -making sensible decisions- in dialogues than having stat-gated shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I like great dialogue? That was and remains the provenance of RPGs.

It wasn't always. RPGs used to be the "soulless sandbox dungeon crawling for nerds" genre. Adventure games were where you went for dialogue and story. JRPGs were also the kings of this for a while.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that even today something like The Walking Dead has better dialogue than most RPGs.

crawlkill

JRPGs were also the kings of this for a while.

I met the first JRPG I liked of my adult life in The World Ends With You, and that one was highly localized. I'd found an interview with the guy who'd translated it and lost it...sad day. But JRPGs are mostly (to my mind) crazed and terribly translated.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that even today something like The Walking Dead has better dialogue than most RPGs.

I loved TWDgame! But I think even Bioware games still have pretty good dialogue. They're just...a corrupt narrative paradigm. if something's funny? if it's clever? I can excuse a lot.

and when I said "was," I was talking about Infinity Engine games. just for the record.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Now You See Me
:2/5:
Ridonkalous. Mediocre acting, silly script, stupid twist.

EDIT: lol, wrong thread. or some mod fucked with me.
anyway I'll let it stand. don't watch this crap!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Athelas

Arcane
I didn't get past episode 1, but I though the writing of the Walking Dead was awful. The characters were either bland or caricatures, and the attempts to make you care about Clementine were laughable.

crawlkill

That is p. irrelevant to a CRPG but nevermind, I'm not even sure what is being argued here anymore :M

I know it's hard to read the entire thread, but that little sub-thread was...about good dialogue.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The one that matters most for CRPGs and what we were talking about initially: player agency. What would be good in other media really doesn't matter for shit if you're just led along by the wrist through the story and asked for your opinion now and then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom