Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project IGI reboot is in development

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
http://www.pcgamer.com/project-igi-were-going-in-is-in-development/

Project IGI: We're Going In is in development
Norwegian studio Artplant confirmed that a new IGI game is happening.

Project IGI: I'm Going In is a tactical FPS released in 2000 by Eidos Interactive. It wasn't exactly a runaway hit—our review from back then described it as "a botched opportunity for what could have been a cool game"—but it did some interesting things and is remembered reasonably fondly these days, at least as much as it's remembered at all. We may soon be hearing more about it, however, as a report on Norwegian site Pressfire has revealed that a new IGI game is on the way.

Artplant chief Jack K. Wulff confirmed that the new IGI is in development, but said, "We don't have much to announce at this point, other than that the game will be called IGI - We're Going In," a play on the original title that suggests a focus on co-op multiplayer. Artplant had previously hinted on Twitter that David Jones, the hero of the first two games, will be back for round three.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I loved IGI-2. Probably the game I played that came closest to Deus Ex when it came to open, unlinear level design.

But I'm surprised they never bothered to make IGI-1 available on GOG, since it's supposed to be better than the sequel.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I faintly remember playing the demo if IGI, or was it IGI 2? Thought it was pretty neat but never came around playing the full version.

I do remember taking down baddies with the Dragunov up from the water towers was very fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That was an excellent review.
Seems it suffers from the same flaw as the sequel: funky AI. In IGI-2 enemies were almost blind, but had supernatural hearing. It's possible it was fixed/balanced with a later patch, though.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All I want is better graphics, a save option and enemies not respawning endlessly when you trigger the alarm or spawning right behind your back. The game was really brutal, even Hitman was easier to beat. Great soundtrack, still remember most of the tracks. Sadly the sequel didn't catch my interest, maybe I should try it and see how it plays compared to its predecessor.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The original IGI had one of the best sniper rifles ever, and it also had huge maps that unfortunately were a bit underutilized aside from them allowing you to to snipe enemies from kilometres away. It was a fun shooter that was dragged down by the heavy recycling of its assets (infiltrating one base after another with the same few buildings arranged a bit differently) and some of the most moronic and infuriating enemy respawns ever. I've still got fond memories of a mission where you had to escape a base without setting off an alarm, and every time you failed in that task enemies just started pouring out of those tiny barracks that were right there in plain sight, so that I ended up clearing the entire base of the same enemies about half-a-dozen times before getting out. You could take out a guard from a distance, infiltrate the base and find the same guy standing in the same spot good as new. Sometimes you could clear out a room only to be one-shotted two seconds later by a shotgun dude appearing out of thin air, which was nice in a game with no mid-mission saving. I wonder if they ever patched that shit out.

Kahr

I too can only remember the demo of IGI.
Have played it several times, after i found out that you can fly in it.
Funny bug. It was the feature to climb up obstacles. You could just "climb up the air".
Somehow i hoped that the bug was in the real game, but then again it wasn't that interesting to actually buy it.
But the demo level was really nice.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

I'm not sure if this is the project referred in OP, but a prequel is coming. It's very early in development:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press..._NEXT_GAME_IN_THE_IGI_FRANCHISE_UNDER_WAY.php

I.G.I. Returns in 2021 NEXT GAME IN THE I.G.I. FRANCHISE UNDER WAY

Stockholm, Sweden March 19, 2019 – Toadman Interactive is pleased to announce that the third game in the I.G.I. franchise will be released during 2021.

The title is a tactical stealth FPS and a prequel to the previous games that will uncover the origin story of the I.G.I. organization. Toadman has started the development of the game and is now in the prototyping stage. The team is really excited to have one of the original creators on board for the development and is looking forward to being able to share more as development continues.

I.G.I. was originally released in 2000 and the first two games sold over a million units combined. The games were developed by Innerloop Studios and the first game was published by Eidos Interactive, the second by Codemasters.

I'm so psyched to announce that the prototyping is going well and we already have a fun base game to play in the studio. Today, we are releasing a teaser showing a glimpse of our prototyping and many things will improve as we continue the development. The reason we are sending out this update is so that we can allow enthusiasts to provide ideas and feedback when we are in the early stages of development. We want to hear from you fans to make sure you get to see the most out of this game,” said Robin Flodin, CEO of Toadman Interactive.

For future updates on I.G.I., visit https://toadmaninteractive.com/IGIFAN.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I was like 12 when this game came out, there was no internet so a bunch of my neighbors just passed over the game's disc to each other, so naturally I and they religiously played this game over and over again because we didn't have anything else to play, at least until DMC3 released. We played it so much we learned item and enemy placement by heart, and of course everyone valued Dragunov like it's their own child, but I enjoyed the Jackhammer shotgun more than anything else.

Bought the second game on GOG years ago but never bother to try it, guess the time has come :neveraskedforthis:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess they scrapped the co-op gameplay teased in 2017. This is single-player only.

WHAT IS
large-logo.webp
?

IGI_Announcement_1920x1080_Screenshot_06.webp

The prequel to 2000's Project IGI. IGI Origins is a first-person stealth shooter hybrid where players are encouraged to think their way in and shoot their way out. Experience a high octane thrill ride through a spy fantasy world of gadgets and guns against the vivid, sumptuous backdrop of the 1980s. Unravel a mystery that threatens to plunge the world into a new era of nuclear annihilation. You're going in.

THINK YOUR WAY IN.
IGI_Announcement_1920x1080_Screenshot_04.webp

SHOOT YOUR WAY OUT.
IGI_Announcement_1920x1080_Screenshot_02.webp

The year is 1980. You play code name “Regent” an agent in the service of MI6 on active duty. Tasked with critical responsibilities of national security, Regent will undertake a series of missions across the world to achieve the objectives of Spy paymasters in a dramatic, filmic experience that explores the origins of the Insitute of Geotactical Intelligence. Using a variety of weapons and gadgets at your disposal, your actions will determine the boundaries of where friends and enemies lay, as you seek to uncover the truth behind events leading to world-shattering ramifications.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
From people who made multiplayer only game - Rising Storm: Vietnam. They are decent at MP games and new IGI is some kind of test (bapthism in fire even?) to handle something SP oriented.
Who knows, maybe they scrapped co-op so people can play '86 instead?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Now they paused '86 developement and jumped on Unreal Engine 5 wagon.

Development Update Information for Unreal Engine on IGI Origins

At AntiMatter Games, we are fully committed to bringing the best game experiences for our players. As part of this initiative, our team has been hard at work and is delighted to share updates on our current projects.

First, we are thrilled to announce that we have moved to Unreal Engine 5! We are confident that the update to the new, superior engine will make a significant impact on our games and ensure we deliver on our promise.

With that goal in mind, we will be shifting gears and focusing our development efforts on ensuring we create the best game experience for IGI: Origins. The game has received overwhelming support from our community thus far, and we can’t wait to share more. In the meantime, we will continue to provide regular development updates via Mission Briefings on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AntiMatterGamesUK.

Lastly, as we concentrate our efforts on making IGI: Origins everything it can be, we will be pausing development of ’83 for the duration. We believe that bringing the full team together will allow us to set the quality bar for IGI even higher.

Our team is extremely excited about the possibilities the latest engine technology can have for our games, and we look forward to sharing more about our development progress in the coming months.

Rich Barham, CEO AntiMatter Games

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But why?
Is even IGI a recognizable enough name?
I played most of the 1st and liked it when it first came out, but could not stomach the 2nd. Still it isn't like there were memorable characters for IGI to be seen as worthy of a prequel/sequel/remake.

Curratum

Also, why are antimatter working on that when they have been working on the '83 game for YEARS and there's still no hard information about it?

Rising Storm 2 was incredible, just janky because of the underlying Red Orchestra platform and Tripwire's implementations. 83 could have been great, but the moment you see UE5 you know it will take a top-shelf 6+ core CPU and a GTX 3060 to run at all so they can just fuck off with that.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
It's project IGI 2 worth it?

Yes. Big focus on stealth, multiple mission objectives that can be done in any order, really good gunplay. AI isn't great but it didn't ruin the experience. It's also a janky ass game. Feels like Goldeneye and Splinter Cell had an FPS baby. I liked it a lot

Curratum

Yes. ... AI isn't great but it didn't ruin the experience. It's also a janky ass game. ... I liked it a lot

How can you take any codexer's opinion on any game seriously after this sort of thing? That's not just a personal jab at you, a lot of people do this, using different wording.

"This game has a heap of problems, but it's great, I'd recommend you play it!"

Do you really have that much free time and that much desire to spend that time playing games that are barely worth watching on Youtube, over the span of 5-10 minutes? :L

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Yes. ... AI isn't great but it didn't ruin the experience. It's also a janky ass game. ... I liked it a lot

How can you take any codexer's opinion on any game seriously after this sort of thing? That's not just a personal jab at you, a lot of people do this, using different wording.

"This game has a heap of problems, but it's great, I'd recommend you play it!"

Do you really have that much free time and that much desire to spend that time playing games that are barely worth watching on Youtube, over the span of 5-10 minutes? :L

I don't have time for overly balanced mainstream popamole garbage, no. I do have time for a cool ass unique game like IGI 2.

It's a game from 2003. The number of FPSs from that era which could be described as having actually great AI fits in one hand. And jank is a characteristic, it doesn't make or break a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom