Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project REsistance, 4v1 asymmetrical hunt in the Resident Evil universe

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After four full pages of derailment in the RE2 Remake thread, it's time for a dedicated thread for you and your loved ones to complain about how this game looks bad!

PROJECT RESISTANCE! It's another game following in the footsteps of Dead By Daylight, Friday the 13th, Last Year, etc. Four wacky teens with diverse skills struggle to escape a Resident Evilish factory/warehouse/police station/abandoned hospital/whatever, while a 5th player (the "mastermind") pulls switches, monitors cameras, sets traps and mobilizes monsters. The twist? This time the game is being developed by CAPCOM with CAPCOM's resources, instead of some rinky dink studio. Will the gameplay be smooth and tested enough to finally perfect the genre? You be the judges!

cropped-dims-1.jpg

Adon

Arcane
I like the concept, but so far the execution seems lacking and the mechanics seemed stacked against the mastermind. Penalty for dying is just a 40 second reduction from the timer? Once the third card reader was done, they gained back 30+ seconds so there goes that penalty. And there's almost no cooldown timer for the dead player respawning. It looks chaotic at times, but despite all of that the only time that any of players died was against Mr. X. I get the feeling they overthought the concept behind the game because right now it seems like there's a lot of moving parts with some of those gears being redundant or useless. One of the character's skill is that she can take down cameras, and this would work if there were rooms where the 5th player couldn't just immediately switch to another camera in the same room. Same with the guy that can melee with his fists because is there ever going to be a point where any character has no weapons at all? Probably not.

If they polish this up, it could be fun, but right now it still looks like they need to balance out the game properly.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the concept, but so far the execution seems lacking
Yeah. CAPCOM has proven that they can do excellent gameplay sometimes but others crank out some real garbage. They do have plenty of $ though - my hope is that they will have a robust feedback/patch cycle based on wild win/loss statistics, instead of just releasing it once and calling it done. Could go either way at this point.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I want to like this, never got to play resi evil outbreak with others (seriously, who the hell had working internet with the ps2 back in the day?) and actually managed to enjoy Umbrella Chronicles so my tolerance for mediocrity regarding this theme is high.

But between the french dude constantly talking (and not even having anything interesting to say), the lack of atmosphere/cool music, the layout, the way the monsters are deployed...I find it hard to maintain my optimism and I don't particularly care for the timer/revive system at all. Basically means there will never be a scenario where a buddy is lagging behind and is about to get eaten..Do you go back and rescue them or leave them to their gruesome fate? No such dilemnas here, you lose 30 secs if they die, going back to help them would probably just mean wasting more time and ammo so yeah sorry bud, enjoy getting eaten alive slowly by zombies.

YldriE

Learned
actually managed to enjoy Umbrella Chronicles so my tolerance for mediocrity regarding this theme is high.
If so then do give Operation Raccoon City a try.

It's a bit on the clunky side especially when you consider it was released quite close to Resident Evil 6, but it's a Raccoon City romp that I found very enjoyable. It's very much an action game where the only real objective is to move forward and kill everything that moves, you can turn your brain off and enjoy the carnage.

Until RE5 / RE6, it's light on lol-instakill, plus dead teammates just respawn when you reach a checkpoint, so it is sort of self-aware about being a mediocre game that doesn't get frustrating and won't demand too much effort or time. One of its main strengths is character damage and stagger, enemies are overly reactive when they get hit and it's very satisfying. Zombies in particular can get graphically dismembered and mutilated without even dying for good, which in turn makes the shotguns a joy to use.

No joke, I play this game for the shotgun gibs alone. A clean body shot has zombies exploding in fountains of blood or thrown backwards, no game handles the masturbation of "BLAM -> one-shot kill -> *pump* -> repeat" better.

The game looks beautiful and clean for its age, so all in all I can't really fault it as a baby's first Left 4 Dead, except in a universe I actually care about: it takes place during the events of Resident Evil 2 so expect generous fanservice and encounters with major characters. There are obvious faults with the engine, aiming feels a bit off, the fanservice is somewhat forced at time, some scripted events are bullshit... but for a 10-dollar game it was a good week-end.

YldriE

Learned
It's no longer updated but it still works, I replayed ORC in coop just earlier this year.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Played like 20 matches, it's kinda fun. If you manage to find a team with synergy the game is VERY satisfying, but unfortunately the beta only allows matchmaking with randoms so most of the time I was paired with dumbasses who had no idea what they were doing.

Also, the game is filled with bullshit, likely because Capcom is using RE2 as the foundation for something that is way more action packed. So expect tight corridors with dead ends, enemies that move and attack very fast (lickers are the worst offenders), zombies with magnetic grabs and very few ways to do proper crowd control. At this moment the game is VERY biased towards the mastermind, Capcom needs to balance the hell out of it.

When it come to the survivors the best character is Samuel because his melee attacks are fast and can hitstun almost everything. It's also possible to do melee finishers but I'm not exactly sure how.

Ps: the player controlling the mastermind can talk with the players. Expect some jerks roleplaying and teasing the survivors while they are raped by a mob of monsters in a locked dark room :argh:

I want to like this, never got to play resi evil outbreak with others (seriously, who the hell had working internet with the ps2 back in the day?) and actually managed to enjoy Umbrella Chronicles so my tolerance for mediocrity regarding this theme is high.

But between the french dude constantly talking (and not even having anything interesting to say), the lack of atmosphere/cool music, the layout, the way the monsters are deployed...I find it hard to maintain my optimism and I don't particularly care for the timer/revive system at all. Basically means there will never be a scenario where a buddy is lagging behind and is about to get eaten..Do you go back and rescue them or leave them to their gruesome fate? No such dilemnas here, you lose 30 secs if they die, going back to help them would probably just mean wasting more time and ammo so yeah sorry bud, enjoy getting eaten alive slowly by zombies.
Losing 30 seconds is painful and screw the whole team.

Also, no talk about immershun is allowed in this thread, the RE7 thread is far more suited for this

Zombra

Patron
Game will be free as an add-on to the Resident Evil 3 Remake package (announced in the last few seconds of the RE3R trailer):

So that's good, it will mean a ton of people in the potential player base. Not as good as if it was F2P with premiums, but still good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom