Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Temple+ * RELEASED *

DnDPaladin

Novice
True 3D didn't make its apparition until 1995. and even there it was cubes without textures. textured 3D didn't come until much later, mainly 1998.
so your fallout game mostly was probably 2D rendered graphics. 2D rendered graphics are much much higher resolution then its 3D counter parts.

proof of concept, one single texture for a 3D game can be as big as 2k in resolution by todays standards. thats 2 times the full HD resolution of 1920x1080.
but to be honest i thought you were speaking of latest fallout. still im pretty sure the graphics used by the time were much higher resolution then the 640x480 that the resolution worked with back then.

deuxhero

Arcane
Since I don't know a better thread to ask this, what changes shop inventory in ToEE anyways? Want the Asian guy to sell me some mithiral fullplate.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since I don't know a better thread to ask this, what changes shop inventory in ToEE anyways? Want the Asian guy to sell me some mithiral fullplate.
data\rules\invensource.mes
Ah fong is entry 319, mithral plate is 6339

Etharil

Novice
Why aren't the leaf armours from Ah Fong's shop considered masterwork quality? Was a shame to find out none of the leaf armours can be enchanted by my Wizard.

roll-a-die

Magister
True 3D didn't make its apparition until 1995. and even there it was cubes without textures. textured 3D didn't come until much later, mainly 1998.
so your fallout game mostly was probably 2D rendered graphics. 2D rendered graphics are much much higher resolution then its 3D counter parts.

proof of concept, one single texture for a 3D game can be as big as 2k in resolution by todays standards. thats 2 times the full HD resolution of 1920x1080.
but to be honest i thought you were speaking of latest fallout. still im pretty sure the graphics used by the time were much higher resolution then the 640x480 that the resolution worked with back then.
Erm... I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

Fallout's scenes were rendered, and then on occasion painted over for better effects and quality. And then displayed on an isometric 2d plane that had camera resolution of 640x480(Ish, the UI may have shrunk the plane a bit). They were in essence exactly the resolution they displayed at. The production materials may have been higher res. But the things in-game, are all as they are displayed.

Now fallout 3, and New Vegas are a different beast, Fallout 3 used a standard texture resolution of 512x512 IIRC. And fallout 4, very few textures are about a 1k(1028x1028) resolution.

Now, if you want to actually discern the origins of 3d games, look at Ultima Underworld, it is one of the earliest examples of non-faked 3d(As seen in doom), and pre-dates your date by around 3 years.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Why aren't the leaf armours from Ah Fong's shop considered masterwork quality? Was a shame to find out none of the leaf armours can be enchanted by my Wizard.
Probably because having wizards with enchanted armors and no arcane spell failure was considered too munchkinny...

Etharil

Novice
Probably because having wizards with enchanted armors and no arcane spell failure was considered too munchkinny...
Hold on a second - wizards can wear those?..

Didn't realise that - thought they were simply made with Druids in mind. That's neat and insane at the same time.

deuxhero

Arcane

I meant in game. "When does shop inventory refresh (i.e. 3 days?)" is prehaps the better way to phrase it. I know he can sell it (I've seen it earlier on this playthrough).

tarasis

Novice
Just found out about this project and wanted to say thanks for putting the effort in.

I've never played ToEE though I've been meaning to for the last couple of years (I own it on GOG) and this seems like a nice jumping off point to finally play.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

I meant in game. "When does shop inventory refresh (i.e. 3 days?)" is prehaps the better way to phrase it. I know he can sell it (I've seen it earlier on this playthrough).
His respawn script is set for a 1 week interval, and the Mithral Plate has a 50% chance of appearing.
That said, he seems to be using the old non-bulletproof respawning method - it can get "jammed" so to speak. If that's the case, then type in the console
Code:
game.global_flags[914] = 0
And re-enter his shop and pass time.

tarasis

Novice
A couple of hopefully quick questions:

Is there a way to not have the map scroll so quickly when moving the mouse around? I hit the edge and it bolts off at high speed in that direction.
The "High Quality Cloth" setting in game resets to off each time I start the game despite me turning it on each time, is this broken?

Its wonderful to be able to load the game at 2560x1080 and have it run so smoothly but damn is that text small and hard to read. I look forward to youse (hopefully) one day being able to do something with scaling UI/text as I'm not sure my old eyes can take reading such tiny text.

DnDPaladin

Novice
if you want to go on that road then Wolfensteine 3D was the original 3D game that started it all.
But i meant true textured (the right way) 3D came out during the 2000 era when TnL actually got added to the video cards and made things much much much more crazy and realistic.
in 1998 Resident Evil 2 came out, thanks to critical memory management and loading scenes the game was able to achieve true 3D with high resolution textures, textures that were next to photo realistic. by itself the game was also one of the very first widescreen game in history. because it was made to be like a movie !

But hey continu to think 3D was awesome before TnL came around. reality is still that they were searching themselves and consoles couldn't follow. heck from the 1996 and up, you needed a 3DFX card to be follow or you wouldn'T even be able to play the games. much like SNES FX Chips, they thought adding special fonctions in video cards was best, thus forcing people to buy a bunch of 3DFX cards just to play games. its not until the advent of TnL that video cards became the staple of computers and its at that point that CPU was much less of a necessity.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
A couple of hopefully quick questions:

Is there a way to not have the map scroll so quickly when moving the mouse around? I hit the edge and it bolts off at high speed in that direction.
That's a byproduct of improved rendering, hehe. Just turn down scroll speed.

The "High Quality Cloth" setting in game resets to off each time I start the game despite me turning it on each time, is this broken?
High Quality Cloth doesn't actually do anything.

Its wonderful to be able to load the game at 2560x1080 and have it run so smoothly but damn is that text small and hard to read. I look forward to youse (hopefully) one day being able to do something with scaling UI/text as I'm not sure my old eyes can take reading such tiny text.
You can change font sizes/definitions, but they may spill over some UIs. Added instructions to the FAQ.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I couldn't find info on rogue class special abilities - were they fixed? Those are: Slippery Mind, Opportunist, Defensive Roll, and maybe Crippling Strike - how much strength damage it does per strike, 1 or 2?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm#specialAbilities

Crippling Strike has been fixed a long time ago, forgot to note it in the changelog. Opportunist also got fixed.

Was there anything wrong with Slippery Mind and Defensive Roll? As far as I know they're working as intended.

Kosiciel

Novice
Crippling Strike has been fixed a long time ago, forgot to note it in the changelog. Opportunist also got fixed.

Great news, then :) CS was working, but I couldn't check how much strength it drains from the target - I assume it's 2 now?. Melee rogue may really consider taking Opportunist, potentially great one in flanking tandem, and makes 16 rogue levels more worthy (to pick 3 special abilities).

Was there anything wrong with Slippery Mind and Defensive Roll? As far as I know they're working as intended.

As I remember, those two were not working at all (at least for me and MS case, I never took DR, only have read about it being broken) - there was no second roll on next turn for failed will save vs enchantment spell. I will test MS and see. Thanks, and keep doing awesome job on this game!

damric

Barely Literate
Creating a forum account here was quite a nerve racking experience.

Anyways, I have been following this project and Co8 for quite some time. Thanks for your work.

I am having a problem. Every time I try and access the Moathouse from the world map, the game crashes. Any idea how to fix or work around this?

Sitra Achara

Arcane

Anyways, I have been following this project and Co8 for quite some time. Thanks for your work.

I am having a problem. Every time I try and access the Moathouse from the world map, the game crashes. Any idea how to fix or work around this?
Can you submit a report? See the support thread for instructions.

damric

Barely Literate

Can you submit a report? See the support thread for instructions.

Thanks Sitra, I just sent the email with all appropriate files and a detailed description of my problem.

Endarire

Scholar
What's the status on T+ .30? We gratefully and eagerly await the new release!

Thankee!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I've been busy with work lately so it got delayed, I don't think it'll be out before the end if the month. Also took some time to help Allyx with detection of IWD installation.

Endarire

Scholar
Thankee, Sitra!

It's good to know you're considering Icewind Dale's conversion as part of T+!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom