Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Temple+ * RELEASED *

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Looking forward to the Arena mentioned in the last update.

Something like this?

rivals.jpg

Sitra Achara

Arcane
So... what's been happening?
Doing a polish/fix pass. Cleaned out a few old issues from the support thread and also added modular portrait pack support. Right now working on replacing the scrolling system so it isn't coupled to FPS.

Also got a little less free time on my hands lately so things are going slower unfortunately...

Salmonman

Barely Literate
Just wanted to say thanks for doing this. I've replayed ToEE from time to time since release but the crash and corruption bugs never failed to make me put it away in disappointment. Just completed a vanilla playthrough and it was completely stable. That's awesome. Thank you.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
So... what's been happening?
Doing a polish/fix pass. Cleaned out a few old issues from the support thread and also added modular portrait pack support. Right now working on replacing the scrolling system so it isn't coupled to FPS.

Also got a little less free time on my hands lately so things are going slower unfortunately...

Well, keep up the great work. It is very appreciated. We love with unbridled passion.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Well, keep up the great work. It is very appreciated. We love with unbridled passion.

Thanks!

The FPS thing is done, turned out to be easier than I thought. Also made the AI use 5' step to close small distances - it used to use a standard action instead, which made it miss out on full attacks and was thus also prone to exploit. One of those "hard to believe it wasn't in the base game" issues!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Nice

Thanks!

The FPS thing is done, turned out to be easier than I thought. Also made the AI use 5' step to close small distances - it used to use a standard action instead, which made it miss out on full attacks and was thus also prone to exploit. One of those "hard to believe it wasn't in the base game" issues!
I see 1.43 is out today. Before I start a new game is there any major changes planned soon or am I safe for a month or so?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I see 1.43 is out today. Before I start a new game is there any major changes planned soon or am I safe for a month or so?

1.43 isn't out, where did you get that from?
You can grab the dev build though if that's what you mean.
You should be safe for the next month, yeah.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

What? It is in the changelog. When is it coming out? Not to criticize or put pressure on you as you are doing as all a big favor by doing this and I don't want to come off like an entitled prick.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

What? It is in the changelog. When is it coming out? Not to criticize or put pressure on you as you are doing as all a big favor by doing this and I don't want to come off like an entitled prick.

It says "1.0.43 (Unreleased)" ;)

I'm going to do a play through for testing and if everything goes well I think I'll release it in a couple of weeks or so.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Fixed a pet peeve of mine - the AI will now alert KOS mobs that are within "earshot" (nearby + short pathfinding distance or line of sight). A famous example would be those 2 bugbears behind the doors in the Moathouse, who up till now patiently waited while you killed their buddies. It's pretty cool seeing them rush outside in the middle of battle!

Friend Alert.jpg

As you can tell the playtest playthrough is still ongoing, and I've only got as far as the Moathouse hehe. This is partly because I've added a few more improvements along the way:

* Defensive casting won't be "active" unless you're actually threatened (within melee range of a hostile critter) in combat. It's annoying to lose a spell just because you forgot to turn it off!
* Fixed dead critters triggering Tumble checks / AoOs (was just a harmless visual glitch, but still pretty goofy)
* Archer/Caster AIs will also refrain from backing off with 5' step if the threatening critter is not a significant threat (e.g. a low level summon).

Elestan

Educated
Fixed a pet peeve of mine - the AI will now alert KOS mobs that are within "earshot" (nearby + short pathfinding distance or line of sight).

Awesome! That's been one of my biggest wishlist items. Out of curiosity, might it be possible to have it use the proper rules for Listen and Spot checks, and write the checks to the log window?

Another great place for testing this would be the kitchen on temple Lv. 1. There are a bunch of scattered groups of goblins and an Ogre in that room, and I was able to pick them all off a couple at a time.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Fixed a pet peeve of mine - the AI will now alert KOS mobs that are within "earshot" (nearby + short pathfinding distance or line of sight).

Awesome! That's been one of my biggest wishlist items. Out of curiosity, might it be possible to have it use the proper rules for Listen and Spot checks, and write the checks to the log window?

Maybe, but I don't think it's worth the time investment tbh.

Elestan

Educated
Out of curiosity, might it be possible to have it use the proper rules for Listen and Spot checks, and write the checks to the log window?
Maybe, but I don't think it's worth the time investment tbh.

Doesn't seem like it should be too hard (says the guy who doesn't know the code); you already know whether there is LOS, and both the straight-line and pathfinding distance between observer and target, and there's already code to do the skill checks, so could you just say:
  • If the watcher has LOS, have them make a Spot skill test with DC 10+1/10' of straight-line distance.
  • If that fails, have them make a Listen test with DC 10(base) -10(battle) +1/10' of the LOS distance (if LOS exists), or else the pathfinding distance. (Testing both accounts for the possibility of terrain that blocks pathfinding but not LOS).
If either test succeeds, the watcher alerts.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Nice improvements. Looking forward to a new playthrough more and more.

deuxhero

Arcane
May want to update the ModDB page to indicate all the new stuff that has been added. As is it looks abandoned.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yeah I had an update all typed up in April, just had a few things I wanted to finish up and here we are :negative:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Another great place for testing this would be the kitchen on temple Lv. 1. There are a bunch of scattered groups of goblins and an Ogre in that room, and I was able to pick them all off a couple at a time.

That won't be happening anymore :)

wakey2.jpg

Edit: Probably going to make it an optional switch, since some Temple fights may act a little different now. E.g. engaging the Fire Temple Bugbears patrolling outside Alrrem's quarters will alert those inside and trigger a big fight, which some players might not expect.

Last edited:

Elestan

Educated
Edit: Probably going to make it an optional switch, since some Temple fights may act a little different now. E.g. engaging the Fire Temple Bugbears patrolling outside Alrrem's quarters will alert those inside and trigger a big fight, which some players might not expect.

Hmm...that's too bad; I agree that alerting through closed doors might be a bit too aggressive. Does the door being locked now affect whether monsters can hear through it? If so, would it be possible to have the pathfinding method take a flag to treat all closed doors as locked?

Sitra Achara

Arcane

Hmm...that's too bad; I agree that alerting through closed doors might be a bit too aggressive. Does the door being locked now affect whether monsters can hear through it? If so, would it be possible to have the pathfinding method take a flag to treat all closed doors as locked?
Yeah I think I can alter the toggle so it only affects doors.

Edit: yeah, done.

Also 1.0.43 is on the way :)

Last edited:

Allyx

Savant
I beleive there was only 1 fix required to make Temple+ compatible with IWD:ToEE and that was only to make Aspel's wolf quest work correctly, a relatively minor issue, though I suspect that fix must now be applied every time Temple+ updates.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I beleive there was only 1 fix required to make Temple+ compatible with IWD:ToEE and that was only to make Aspel's wolf quest work correctly, a relatively minor issue, though I suspect that fix must now be applied every time Temple+ updates.
Have you included the file I posted? That should fix it.
http://www.co8.org/community/index....ee-total-conversion.11868/page-71#post-144374

If not I guess I can include it in Temple+ too.

Any heads up on what your planning next? Also, what happens to mods like the IWD mod with updates? Do they break it so we will have to roll back when that is out, or does it not matter?

I've been digging into the animation system with the hopes of making an exporter plugin for Blender so we can finally have new monster types (and also debugging graphical artifact issues).
Other than that trying to make good on other stuff I've mentioned in the past, like Wall spells, sub-races and the arena.

You can keep playing IWD across updates, they shouldn't break anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom