Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Warlock - retro inspired FPS, but expanded with character progression and upgrades

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Puukko Magister

Puukko
    Played for an hour so far and really liking it, it's scratching several itches I've had for a while. Graphics and music are solid, though granted it does look like something you'd expect to play on a mobile device at times. I'll see about forcing vsync to improve responsiveness - game also doesn't seem to support resolutions above 1080p? Just Unity things, I suppose.

Being mostly made by a 19 year old, too. Hella impressive.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam page:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Been extended demoing this in preparation to see if I wanna scoop it up on Steam, and it's a mixed bag. On one hand, the graphics, sound, and "Feel" of the weapons are all really well done. The graphics are a bit of a mixed bag (The poor lighting in so many areas makes me think he wasn't confident enough in the chunky pixel art, but it's animated well and stuff looks fairly nice overall so I wish it was shown off a bit more) but they're good, the sound is a mixed bag (Enemy/weapon sounds are peachy, the music not so much. It's not offensive but it doesn't really charge you up to shoot some monsters and it isn't moody enough to be particularly atmospheric) but the weapons just feel really solid. Nice animations, sounds, leave punchy gibs on enemies and damage on walls and shit. The magic system feels kind of like a pointless addition since just gunning shit down seems far better. Biggest issue with the game is that the level design is pretty awful. Feels roughly Blake Stone-tier, which is to say "Mildly fancier Wolf 3D with occasional buttons and shit". It's a little fancier since sometimes there are windows and things, but the level design really hurts it bad even though he's obviously going for level design of that era (Which I'm not sure why since the gunplay feels like later FPS. Maybe he hates making maps so I went easy on himself). It's also really fucking easy. I guess I should've played on the hardcore ironman mode but my gut feeling was "Well shit, I don't want to have permadeath" so I went for the next difficulty down which was normal which is a cakewalk.

It's super impressive it was done by a 19 year old, but the level design and difficulty are crippling. Since it's $12 (On GoG at least, I'll assume that'll hold for Steam as well) I may scoop it up anyway just to encourage him but it is a damn shame he (Or whoever the mapper was) can't do levels.

Edit: Just looked over the thread and it looks like a fair number of you have similar feelings toward it. I see the Serious Sam easter egg though, I should've snapped a screenshot of the Caleb easter egg I had earlier. It's in the second cemetery map IIRC. You spawn in a hallway with a health and mana pot flanking you on either side and a door on either side at the end of the hallway, and if you press the wall facing you at the end you get Caleb impaled on a hook so that's fun.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    ^ Top  
  4. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's out now.

^ Top  
  5. Seboist Arcane Patron

Seboist
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Game kept crashing for me on the final boss whenever i would use the "BFG", so I ended up having to gimp myself by not using it. :negative:

^ Top  
  6. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    I enjoyed the game for the most part, but the last episode by far had the worst levels. Up until that point you generally had plenty of room to move around and get around enemies, and then in the last episodes they introduce pitfalls (Without being able to jump over them) that really limits that movement, which slowed the game down. That and the last episode was more a mish mash of textures and didn't really have a coherent style compared to the other episodes, which were all great.

^ Top  
  7. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    I have completely changed my mind after trying this game. This is a fantastic little game.

Every weapon feels fantastic. When enemies die it feels very satisfying. The music is great. The style is great. Magic, guns and cybernetics. This game has some of the best foley effects I have ever heard. Incredible. Boss fights are hard. This game is like a mix of Blood, Hexen and RPG elements on top.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Thanks for the insight.

^ Top  
  9. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Have they patched it extensively? It has been a while, but if they focused on the right stuff (weapon balance, remake some early maps, redo the upgrade system, shoot the soundtrack guy) it would be worth another try.

^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/893680/announcements/detail/2656473309485174085

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Just got this in the GOG sale and played the first 5 or so levels. Really enjoying it. It is too easy as I see others have said, but with the limited lives and permadeath as factors I don't think they could get away with it being frustratingly hard. It's weird for me to play a game like this without quicksave, so I feel like if I really worried about having to redo whole levels frequently I'd be like "fuck that." I like that melee is a valid playstyle, and it feels really satisfying to hit monsters with the big ax. I love the music, and the look of the game is nice as well. I don't get the complaints there. My only issue with it is I feel like I have some mild input lag, but I'll google about that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Puukko Magister

Puukko
    Mild input lag, also known as Unity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    More shit for the shitheads.

• M'lady M'lady x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)