Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime PS1 Survival Horror?

Who is more kawaii?

• Hewie

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Hewie

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Hewie

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

A horse of course

Now that I'm stuck with my accursed, wheezing little brat of a laptop for the next year, (quality) ps2 emulation is out of the question. Still, this gives me a chance to catch up with a lot of the other stuff I missed on PS1 or earlier. So I'm currently gathering up a bunch of titles to play in China. Recommend me stuff you consider to be either A: Of a generally high quality, or B: interesting or highly unusual.

Stuff I already played on the PSX as a wee babby:
Resident Evil 1-3
Silent Hill 1

Stuff I'm already aquiring:
Clock Tower "1" (PSX version of The First Fear is untranslated, so I'm just using original SNES game with a patch for that)
Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within
Hellknight/Dark Messiah
Dino Crisis 1
Countdown: Vampires
Parasite Eve 1
D

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Mybe Fear Effect? It's not a survival horror, but it has similar controls and perspective to Resident Evil. It's a cyberpunk action-adventure, more heavy on the action than puzzle-adventuring. An interesting game, I remember liking it but it was long time ago.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Alone in the dark the new nightmare, maybe akuji (even though it treads in action/platform paths like shadowman and tomb raider), nightmare creatures is a bit too gory and action packed and less of a cerebral game, overblood and it's sequel haven't played them but they seem relevant, blade is one of the hardest games I've played back then, echo night might be good not sure though haven't played this neither, evil dead hail to the king is pretty cool.

mck

Cipher
_-Echo-Night-PlayStation-_.jpg

Echo Night would be worth a try.

256px-Deception_PSX_Box_Art.JPG

Also try Tecmo's Deception for something different. Good occult shit adventure kings field trap thing.

Eyeball

Arcane
Shadowman is also a very bad game in its own right. Excellent atmosphere and voice acting, terrible gameplay.

Of those listed, Parasite Eve is easily the most Unique and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a camouflaged JRPG rather than a survival horror, but it is very good at what it does and has a highly original storyline.

Parasite Eve 2 was more survival horrory, but also not very good.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hell Night (aka Dark Messiah). Obscure survival Horror with many good ideas. [EDIT] Ah, you already listed that one.

Martian Gothic: Unification, from the guys that made Dreamweb. There was a PC version, but you'll have better luck with PSX emulation.

Another PC/PSX obscutiry, Silverload:

PS: I found the PSX Clock tower sequels subpar, especially compared to the ingenious snes game.

Malpercio

Arcane
Clock Tower "1"

Meh. Also aged pretty badly. All the CT after the first one are not worth, imo.

Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within

Complete and utter shit.

Hellknight/Dark Messiah

Great and claustofobic.

Tragically underrated.

Dino Crisis 1

Resident Evil with dinosaurs. Good.

Countdown: Vampires

Shit.

Parasite Eve

More a jrpg with horror themes. 2 is more a survival.

Slow ass game with no redeem qualities.
Fungo review gives a good insight of the game.

Martian Gothic: Unification

Martian Gothic was fucking shit! No to mention unplayable without a faq. The game is an inventory nightmare.

Echo Night would be worth a try.

Agree, very underrated, give it a try OP.

Also, check Juggernaut, another obscure gem. (not good as Hellnight or Echo Night though, some stages were kinda shitty)

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Intresting, maybe i should try it out.

If you're talking about RE1 DC, I'd just skip it and try playing REmake via dolphin emulation. I've only watched footage of it but it looks fantastic.
Yeah, if only i have some decent gpu but alas.

Also , how about Men in Black:

Managed to beat this game back in the day.

Covert ops: Nuclear Dawn - Steven Seagal simulator:

Malpercio

Arcane
I've stocked up on most of the titles listed in this thread, plus a few others I found via lists. Will probably finish Clock Tower on SNES first, then either play through Sweet Home on NES or start Dino Crisis. I'll post some screens and impressions here so long as I'm at liberty to. Thanks for the suggestions.

SNES CT is a fucking masterpiece.

A horse of course

Alright, I just got around to starting Dino Crisis. I quckly got back into the swing of the usual SH gameplay and it's moderately entertaining, though the office/laboratory environments have aged extremely poorly compared to the gothic/baroque mansions of games like Resident Evil. I'll play it in short bursts of 1-2hrs and perhaps move on to Countdown: Vampires.

By the by, I never did finish Hellknight. I did make it to one of the latter parts but just lost interest and never picked it up again. Still, good job on them for keeping it a tense and challening experience even today.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

If you're talking about RE1 DC, I'd just skip it and try playing REmake via dolphin emulation. I've only watched footage of it but it looks fantastic.
REmake is probably the greatest RE game. Definitely play it if you are a fan of the older games, not the new RE: 4 rehashes.

A horse of course

REmake is probably the greatest RE game. Definitely play it if you are a fan of the older games, not the new RE: 4 rehashes.

That post is years old :lol:. I've played all the RE games & spinoffs except RE7 now.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That post is years old :lol:. I've played all the RE games & spinoffs except RE7 now.
Didn't see the post date. :deathclaw:

Same here except only played the Umbrella Chronicles partially and no RE6 or 7. I want to play RE7 on VR, but I don't have a VR headset yet.

Viata

Arcane
Have you played the original RE, ed? The REmake is great, but the original is still better and both games are not totally the same for only play REmake and ignore original.

A horse of course

Have you played the original RE, ed? The REmake is great, but the original is still better and both games are not totally the same for only play REmake and ignore original.

Yes, I might replay RE2 (original) at some point though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom