Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Black

Arcane
They are.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For his generation watching an animated movie, however amazingly written, would be considered a sign of utter childishness for 15 year olds, let alone 25.
Does he think video games are for babies as well?

He knows there are fairly mature games like strategies but for him gaming in general is a waste of time more than anything else.

But if he saw a 30+ man playing Mario he'd 100% think it's some sort of mental disease. I'm dead serious.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last year (?) they're released ANOTHER Xbone (Xbox X) which is moar fancy, have some backward compatibilty advantages but it still overpriced mid-tier PC with no games.
It's cheaper than a mid end PC. Consoles exist to play games, and play just about all 3rd party games. Xbox has a fanbase.

Few years ago my good friend bought Xbox instead of mid end PC, I told him that Xbox is a console for retards.

11 months ago he switched to mid end PC, it was the happiest day of his life and to this day he still, every day, thanks me for for calling him a retard every day for past few years.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Last year (?) they're released ANOTHER Xbone (Xbox X) which is moar fancy, have some backward compatibilty advantages but it still overpriced mid-tier PC with no games.
It's cheaper than a mid end PC. Consoles exist to play games, and play just about all 3rd party games. Xbox has a fanbase.

Few years ago my good friend bought Xbox instead of mid end PC, I told him that Xbox is a console for retards.

11 months ago he switched to mid end PC, it was the happiest day of his life and to this day he still, every day, thanks me for for calling him a retard every day for past few years.
Perhaps Xbox isn't the best example because it isn't even the best selling console out nowadays, but the PS4 on the other hand would fit the bill

Zeriel

Arcane
I dont know but i disliked PS since PS1 because it associated with Decline(Anime, JRPG)

Anime is associated with the decline of Man and the rise of Manchild.

Anime is not. Expecting real women to be anything like characters is the real culprit.

Not anime as a whole but the art style. There are some amazing stories (Miyazaki, Ghost in the Shell) but the childish art style pisses me off to no end. I remember watching Howl's Moving Castle with my cousin, we were about 25 at the time. My dad walked in, watched for a while and left with a complete incomprehension on his face. For his generation watching an animated movie, however amazingly written, would be considered a sign of utter childishness for 15 year olds, let alone 25.

And I'm not even talking about adult men playing and gushing over stuff like Mario, that's complete insanity.

The world IS degenerating and people who don't see it are either in denial or regressed beyond repair.

I mean, yes, it's true, none of us as adults should be playing video games, but if that's the stance you take then that should apply to everything. There's no "monocled" vidya that is somehow immune to this perspective, in a traditional society of any of them would be seen as kids playthings, including your grognard hardcore shit. I guess this brings up the question of whether gambling and card games and et cetera were viewed the same way in the past.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean, yes, it's true, none of us as adults should be playing video games

Not my point. Saying all vidya are childish is a sign of ignorance. A colleague of mine, age 55, very distinguished gentleman, scoffs at vidya but is an avid chess player. Yeah. People have always played something but context matters.

There's a difference between normal chess and chess with pieces that are showy, colourful, have big ears and eyes, jump up and down on a spring and make funny cartoon noises. And sadly, adult men today play mostly the second kind.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not anime as a whole but the art style. There are some amazing stories (Miyazaki, Ghost in the Shell) but the childish art style pisses me off to no end. I remember watching Howl's Moving Castle with my cousin, we were about 25 at the time. My dad walked in, watched for a while and left with a complete incomprehension on his face. For his generation watching an animated movie, however amazingly written, would be considered a sign of utter childishness for 15 year olds, let alone 25.
Thankfully your father (and mine) will die, with their whole generation, and they will stop judging us gamers/anime watchers for out modern hobbies.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I can't wait for tables to flip yet again. Watch the peasants try to revolt again, only to be subjugated by their new masters. Drama! Lawn chair! Beer!
dgbg.gif

Black

Arcane
"Gamers" are incapable of having integrity, just dangle something shiny in front of them and they'll forget all aboot it. Especially console plebes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do we have a dedicated next gen thread?

Whatever, so the goofy V-shaped PS5 might actually be a thing lol. Seems MS wins round one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak..._ps5_icon_similar_to_the_ps5_devkit_was_seen/
Which is round one? Because people talk more about the V shaped PS5, while nobody talks about the Xbox, which is a literal box now.
Literally everybody talked about xbox after the Game Awards, it was the most discussed topic of the evening. And vast majority of feedback was "it's a box but it's actually p. cool".

While vast majority of webz, after seeing the first PS5 leaks, laughed out loud.

Sony underestimate how many people care about censorship, I think. Or at least how many in their key demo.

Update: Sony did not underestimate it, no one apparently cares.

Sony had too much of a lead over Microsoft for it to really matter this generation at the point they did it. But there was reaction to DMC5's PS4 modesty lens flares. And there's really going to be a reaction if Cyberpunk 2077 comes out and it looks like it changed because of Sony. Mostly people on the Internet that say they don't give a shit just say that because it's mostly Japanese cheesecake stuff they don't play anyways, but they will start caring when it affect their stuff.

New Consoles may as well be a reset button with how quickly things can flip, and doing shit that pisses people off would be a stupid move for Sony. It's probably why Sony has started entertaining the idea of cross play recently, where before they were just kind of telling people to fuck off.

At this rate, when PS4/Xbone will die, in 2026? 2028?

PS5/XboxSex still have no games.

Oh, it could go on a long time. The Switch is now the third best selling console of all time right behind the PS2 and Nintendo DS. If that upcoming Switch 2 is able to hold that lead Nintendo has over the market now, and the system’s games are able to easily be brought over to the PS4 (and Xbox One, I think there’s still a large user base of Xbox Game Pass subscribers there) then there’s no real reason not to do it. Especially if Sony is still making new PS4s. There could be new PS4 games for as long as the Switch 2 is around if the Switch 2 sells well. It’s totally possible there could be PS4 games going into, like, 2031 depending on how Switch 2 does.

If Sony was smart, and all signs point to that not being the case, Sony would be releasing a new handheld version of the PS4 to compete with the Switch and the upcoming Switch 2 instead of releasing that dumb fucking PlayStation Portal thing for PS5. If they weren’t so fucking stupid they would’ve come out with a portable Switch like PS4 instead of the PS5 back in 2020... and something called the PlayStation 5 would’ve come sometime in 2024 or 2025 packed in with a PSVR2 so they could push their VR stuff like they used the PS2 to sell DVD and the PS3 to sell Blu-ray. But they totally fucked themselves and gave up their lead, and stupidly didn’t wait just a tiny bit so they could capture the VR market and catapult it into the mainstream.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If they weren’t so fucking stupid they would’ve come out with a portable Switch like PS4 instead of the PS5 back in 2020... and something called the PlayStation 5 would’ve come sometime in 2024 or 2025 packed in with a PSVR2 so they could push their VR stuff like they used the PS2 to sell DVD and the PS3 to sell Blu-ray.
This is actually a pretty good idea

Though I would say the PS5 should've come at the latest in late 2021 (summer 2022 if you really want to push it)
Sorry but we're now finally seeing AA and AAA production move on from the 8th gen - a 2024/2025 release would've postponed that for 2/3 more years

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom