Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

DeepOcean

Arcane
Giving 500$ to a guy with a history of money mismanagement on a vague promise of maybe making it back in 3 years If and only if everything is going to go increadibly well for them is not business, its just being retarded.

Meanwhile, people have been giving 10,000$ pledges on Kickstarter for getting an NPC named after them.
If someone gives 10000 dollars to a kickstarter, he is a retard and he knows it.
If someone gives money to Tim Schaefer and expect it back later, he is a retard but he doesn't know it yet.
I respect people who know their flaws more.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Giving 500$ to a guy with a history of money mismanagement on a vague promise of maybe making it back in 3 years If and only if everything is going to go increadibly well for them is not business, its just being retarded.

Meanwhile, people have been giving 10,000$ pledges on Kickstarter for getting an NPC named after them.

Totally different thing. Blowing 10 grand of vanity stuff like that is not a problem if you're rich and can afford that. It's either NPC or booze and hookers and some people choose the former.
OTOH if someone treats it as an "investment", hoping to get his money back with some return... that is, simply, retarded.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Totally different thing. Blowing 10 grand of vanity stuff like that is not a problem if you're rich and can afford that. It's either NPC or booze and hookers and some people choose the former.
OTOH if someone treats it as an "investment", hoping to get his money back with some return... that is, simply, retarded.
Actually the former is more retarded. Assuming that you are rich, which is better? Blowing your 10K for vanity stuff which won't matter to anybody not even yourself in a few weeks, or "investing" it in a risky business, which has a chance of bringing some return. Even if it is a small chance, it is better than getting nothing.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, because if you have enough spare cash to drop $10k of a whim, you're gonna care about potentially, maybe, getting a slim chance to earn an extra hundred bucks. :roll:

If someone is rich enough and believe in the cause, he will donate the money out of his own good will.
That "investment" is there to entice people who can't really afford to burn $500 to throw away their savings anyway, by giving them weak promise of making it back sometime in the future.

Mustawd

That "investment" is there to entice people who can't really afford to burn $500 to throw away their savings anyway, by giving them weak promise of making it back sometime in the future.

The $500 thing is temporary up until the SEC approves the filing. So future game funding won't have it. But I agree that the investment thing is to kind of trick people. Video games are notoriously high risk anyways. Add in indie studios and the risk just goes up.

But the point still remains that in terms of ROI, you potentially get more out of it than a run of the mill Kickstarter. Even the $10k guy...I mean compare Fig with Kickstarter..all things being equal the value is the same even if Fig never makes enough sales for the guy to get his money back.

I'm not saying Fig is a good investment. IMO it's not. But the potential value is higher than Kickstarter, all things being equal.

RPGMasterLvl2

Novice
Hey, John. When you say “mishandling of several past games resources” I assume you’re talking about two things: games going over budget, and then Spacebase.

Regarding games going over budget: Many times in the past I have made the choice to invest more in a game than the original budget specified. That is because in the end, my highest priority is the quality of the game. Most of the games you play (not all of them, but more than you think) went over budget and extended their schedules at some point. Double Fine is just more honest and transparent about it. There are many things that lower the risk of Psychonauts 2 going over budget. It’s a sequel, so the gameplay and IP of the game are already known. We are using the Unreal Engine, so we don’t have to write an engine from scratch. And our team is much more experienced than when we made the first game. But if even after that, if the game has any overages, Double Fine is committed to paying for them ourselves, as we have done in the past.

We have successfully completed and shipped both of the games we crowdfunded (Broken Age and Massive Chalice) and are very proud of them. The majority of our fans and critics enjoyed them as well. We have put three games through early access--Hack ‘n’ Slash, Massive Chalice, and Spacebase. Two of these worked out great, and one of those was a disappointment to many people. We have shipped 17 titles over the last 15 years and overall we have a great track record of shipping great games and being extremely transparent and honest with our community. That is the more lasting reputation of Double Fine, and the reason people can feel confident about Psychonauts 2!

:D

duanth123

Arcane

Actually the former is more retarded. Assuming that you are rich, which is better? Blowing your 10K for vanity stuff which won't matter to anybody not even yourself in a few weeks, or "investing" it in a risky business, which has a chance of bringing some return. Even if it is a small chance, it is better than getting nothing.

How a bout ya don't be fucking stupid, and instead do neither of those things.

False dilemma solved.

logic

Edit: Btw this statement

We have successfully completed and shipped both of the games we crowdfunded (Broken Age and Massive Chalice

is a total lie. Take one look at the forums section of Massive Chalice's steam page and even the steamtards would tell you the game was rushed out in an unfinished state with nary a patch/update in sight after more than 6 months.

Last edited:
But wait! Unaccredited investers can reserve shares and invest as soon

You make it sound like people pledging more than $500 on kickstarter is an anomaly...

Pillars of Eternity had 367 backers at the $500 level. That's not even counting any backers over $500.

But really, you do understand the intent of Fig is to open it up in a similar way to Kickstarter right? So stop trying to nitpick little details when we both know that'll be the end result. And that's what my comment was intended to address.

I dunno, less than 1% of all backers seems like its kind of an anomaly and not your *normal* backer but I dunno.

Whats exactly your example here?

What is it as a % of money raised, though? Genuine question. It does seem a bit exclusive, but if the top 1% provides most of the cash overall, then it could work (in before 'we are the 99%' sets up a protest camp on Schaeffer's lawn).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We have successfully completed and shipped both of the games we crowdfunded (Broken Age and Massive Chalice

is a total lie. Take one look at the forums section of Massive Chalice's steam page and even the steamtards would tell you the game was rushed out in an unfinished state with nary a patch/update in sight after more than 6 months.
72% of steam users rate the game as positive. It was a shallow game mechanics wise, and didn't like it too much myself, but I don't think it qualifies as unfinished.
/topic

Last edited:
tl;dr: Tim is a good creative who is shit at everything else.

Anyone who is surprised by this is almost certainly a far bigger retard than anyone still working at DF.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Massive Chalice was pretty fine as a release. As a game nothing special but not too bad too. Worth a run just for the whole genetics thing

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
:lol:

J_C is trolling the shit out of you guys.

Naw he's simply tellin' it like it is.

Not that professionally offended retards in this thread will ever admit to being wrong, but that's what you can expect from people who can't do basic research and have to rely on gamergate youtubers to tell them what to think.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Haha, this campaign is on a roll. They reached 3,3million 5 days ago, and they are at 3,69 now. Almost 100K/day. That dirty scammer Tim sure knows how to manipulate people.
:fuuyeah:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well, I don't care much for Psychonauts, but this is good news anyhow. Pillars 2 and next InExile game will probably be on fig, meaning probably more money and potentially better games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom