Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
They even put the sales breakdown for Psychonauts on the front page of their Figstarter:

body_width.jpeg

The game sold poorly even by 2005 standards, and the vast majority of its business has been done at massive discounts, chiefly through the humble bundle they did. Seems to me like investment is a pretty dodgy proposition. Psychonauts may be a critical darling, but there really doesn't seem to be proven demand for a sequel.

Steam spy estimates ~300K people own Broken Age on Steam, which is bound to include a certain amount of people who got it as a kickstarter reward. While doubtless they sold some copies via the various console, mobile device and DRM free PC stores, I expect steam is their biggest market. Maybe half a million units sold in all? Certainly much less than a million.

OK, Broken age was shit, and maybe this game will be better reviewed, but I don't think that bodes well for the prospect of getting your money back.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam, in general, is not the biggest market. Well... PC in general is not the biggest market. (Steam is the biggest PC market though) This being a platforming action adventure game (which in general has a lot of console appeal) will most likely be sold a shit ton more on console than PC. Console sales usually account for ~70%, while PC may be close to ~30%.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure you know how i feel guys. I may be a huge Tim Schafer fan, but if you combine that with how big of a fan of Psychonauts I am, you get this:
426728.jpg

But fuuuuck! Fig? I didn't want to touch that crap, but oh well, I have a duty to back this.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
We’re calling upon you to help make this game a reality. And for that, we're asking for $3.3m.“$3.3m?!” you ask bewildered, "that sounds like 2D graphic adventure money! Surely that isn’t enough to make something as grandiose as Psychonauts 2!” Well, you are correct, you’ve seen right through us... are you sure you’re not psychic?

Yes, we do need more than that, as we've previously said we need to raise at leastthe same amount that went into making the original Psychonauts, which had a budget in the $10-13.5m range. In order to do that, we need to gather money from multiple sources.
I don't understand why a simple game like this would cost 10-13 mil $ ?!?!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Schafer, while a cool and very creative person, is also a notorious fuck up. So I'll wait like a good trooper till this thing actually gets released (hopefully in one piece, not several episodes) and then I'll re-evalue a possible purchase.

aratuk

Cipher
Even if DF is not leaving money on the table pricing-wise, by cannibalizing, I mean that the people who would have been launch purchasers are instead fig backers and don't count toward fig investment returns.

Oh, yes! My mistake.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So they will need to make at least as much as DFA to even collect the donations.

DFA made 1.5 Million in the first 3 days as the initial bump before trailing off:

dailypledges.png

It's at 629K now and still rising pretty fast. Not gonna hit Shenmue 3 numbers, but they'll probably make it, unfortunately.

Perkel

Arcane
Why does Psychonauts 2 take less money than Broken Age?

More actually. they want 3mln+ for just crowdfunding, Psychonauts isn't their IP so probably they also got deal with IP owners, then there are investors. Notch might not full fund game but dropping 3-4mln as investement shouldn't be a problem for him.

Also FIG idea IS good. There are shitload of people in industry who wouldn't mind dropping 100k or 200k as investment and generally fractured funding is way to go for almost all bigger normal project aside from gaming. Wanna build a bridge ? Then you have funding from several different places so in case of problems investor can take a hit because his individual share wasn't that big.

I mean there is SC which alone is like 100mln now and all of that comes from just crowdfunding.
Game developers in US earn from 60-70k a year to over 100k a year and those are in work position not owning company or being game director.

Perkel

Arcane

10-13mln$ is super low ball to almost any game that isn't indie.
Also Psychonauts isn't "simple" game. It featured open world + closed levels + ton of super voice acting that costs a lot.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Also Psychonauts isn't "simple" game. It featured open world + closed levels + ton of super voice acting that costs a lot.
I never played it or care to play it but it is a 3d platformer, still don't understand why it would need almost 3x PoE budget. For VA?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny things is that if DF wouldn't have tarnished their reputation in the last year, and they had launched this project on Kicksterter, they would be swimming in money. I mean, 5+ millions. Psychonauts has such a cult following, they would easily achieve that. But right now I think they will barely make it, if they make it at all.

talan

Augur
I liked the video and I liked Psychonauts, but I'm not throwing in 50AUD for a game that won't be released for 3 years.

Perkel

Arcane

I never played it or care to play it but it is a 3d platformer, still don't understand why it would need almost 3x PoE budget. For VA?

3D graphics is biggest part here.

FNV cost something like 15-20mln$ and was made on RPG making engine with heavy use of same assets everywhere.

Psychonauts alone if you count up all levels and hub world has more objects than FNV ever did. All that stuff needs work by artists, moddelers etc. And they can't hide reuse of assets like FNV or F3 did with almost every building, cave, vault or whatever. They also can't use some random character generator since all characters in game are wacky.

Funny things is that if DF wouldn't have tarnished their reputation in the last year, and they had launched this project on Kicksterter, they would be swimming in money. I mean, 5+ millions. Psychonauts has such a cult following, they would easily achieve that. But right now I think they will barely make it, if they make it at all.

P2 backers aren't some random people browsing net. Being on FIG or else doesn't matter as in the end same people will fund game.

aratuk

Cipher
If I recall correctly, many of us contributed to Doublefine Adventure at the "Watch Tim Schaffer Take a Shit" reward tier. And if I'm not mistaken, most of us are still waiting, even after he drank all that juice.

Keldryn

Arcane
Psychonauts would have had a big art budget, as each level had a pretty distinct visual style (so little reuse between stages) -- and sometimes Raz had a different character model, too.

There was also the fact that they had never made that type of game before, which would have made it take longer and thus be more expensive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. That came out of nowhere. Or perhaps there were hints we weren't paying attention to because lol Double Fine

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Gameplay isn't shit in Psychonauts, more like mediocre. Level design is cool aesthetically and conceptually, but rather boring in practice. You get a whole bunch of cool powers throughout the game, but don't actually get to do much with them. Ironically, I think the game works best when it's less a platformer and more of an adventure game, like in the Milkman Conspiracy level.

spekkio

Arcane
Psychonauts was great due to:
- level design (indeed rather aesthetics than great gameplay, like CM wrote),
- writing / humor.

This one is gonna be shit.

I may end up torrenting it 1-2 years after the release.
Giving money to the devs so they can maybe make a game I would like to play... What's the point? Don't we have enough good (and shit) games already? :roll:

:edge:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom