Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting that they haven't broken 10K backers yet. At this point in the campaign DFA already had 30K+.
If you look at funding just from "REWARDS" which I assume is the non-investor backers, they're behind The Bard's Tale IV numbers ($907K after day 2). Could fail afterall :bounce:

KAOoAiX.png
It's actually only been 24 hours.

I mean, I lied, it's more like 28 hours

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, it might be Indiegogo rules rather than Kickstarter, and they can collect pledges even if the funding goal isn't reached.
Nah, it's still default kickstarter rules. It says this at the bottom of the pledge button:
"
You will only be charged if this campaign reaches its goal on Jan 7, 2016 8pm
"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People really think they won't hit the goal when they're halfway there after a day?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Honestly, if it was made by a new team and far away from Tim Schafer I might be tempted to donate....let us call this the Lucas Effect.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
People really think they won't hit the goal when they're halfway there after a day?

It's now technically the third day the campaign has been open and they aren't even halfway there yet. For any campaign with a smaller goal this would be a very bleak situation. People want to jump into the wildly successful projects, not the ones that struggle to reach even the minimum funding. These crowdfunding drives always hit a slump after about 3 days. If this still hasn't hasn't reached 3.3 Million by the end of the day I predict enthusiasm will dry up.

And the other point is that 45% of their current funding is from "investors", and I don't think it's a given that those donations will continue to flow in the typical crowdfunding curve.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm ashamed to admit I liked Psychonauts back in the day, it was genuinely funny.
What's wrong with you people? From time to time somebody says something like this: I'm ashamed to admit that I like a game you other edgy asshats are shitting on.

Are you ashamed in front of the Codex? How? Why? The members of this forums like all kinds of shit, it's full of hypocrits who are bashing games which they play for a 100 hours. And you say that you are ashamed because you liked a game you had fun with? Just don't. Don't try to gather KKK with saying like this.

Also LOL at idiots who are already giggling how this will fail and they make up theories about it, despite gathering 1,5 million in 30 hours. :lol:

Dexter

Arcane
About some of the stuff in the late posts:
1) Psychonauts was fucking great, similar to Beyond Good & Evil. No need to shit on the man's legacy because of his most recent work.

2) The documentary for Broken Age was actually rather good.
3) This campaign is going to get funded, it already got too much momentum. Even if they come short like $200-300k on the last day there's going to be some sort of push or "angel investor" stepping in and pushing it over the line.
4) Psychonauts 2 is going to be late, miss every milestone, overspend on its budget and probably not be very good, I doubt they're going to catch "lightning in a bottle" like they did with part 1, especially since Schafer ain't the same Schafer he was in 2002-2005 and Derple Fine isn't the same company.
5) Hopefully this'll put an end to Derple Fine, but Schafer might still have too big a cult of personality for this to happen.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Reading this thread makes me feel old.

On one hand one of the coolest video games of the past 10 years is getting a sequel, which despite everything at least calls for cautious optimism, since some of the same people responsible for the original are behind this one. (Unlike some other sequels in recent years.)

On the other hand, this thread is full of angsty tryhards competing to see who's the edgiest, whiniest little dipshit of them all.

You have beef with Tim Schaefer trying to fund his next game, based on his inability to plan a game budget and seeming general mismanagement? Go ahead, I'm not bothered. I saw and heard signs of those negative traits from listening to the Director's Commentary of Grim Fandango, and that touches on events from 20 years ago. My concern is more about him using Fig to fund Psychonauts 2, as I get the feeling that he's using the game to promote the service (or is it the other way around?).

I AM, however, bothered by the angsty tryhards here trying to out-stupid anti-Gamergaters by making statements such as sending Schaefer (and his supporters) anthrax by post. (The join dates of the posters involved speaks for itself.) Precisely what will that accomplish? If anything, that will net Schaefer MORE money through sympathy and mainstream media publicity, not to mention give points to aGG.

If anything, this thread proves that we gamers are generally stupid cunts. You're raging, ranting and whining that a middle-aged man is working within an industry, trying to make ends meet, trying to create entertainment products for the rest of us. Sure, no one is above criticism, but most of you aren't even doing that, you're just dogpiling on the shit-throwing frenzy. And he's not even that bad or evil a figure in the gaming industry. Compare him to Randy Pitchford over at Gearbox, who takes funds from one project to complete another, creates fake demos of games, then denies and lies about the whole thing. Schaefer appears merely incompetent by comparison. We could bring Bethesda, EA and Sega into this as well, but then we're comparing giant, evil, soulless corporations...to one guy and his studio. Not exactly fair.

So step back, take a deep breath, and chill. It'll be a couple of years before this sees the light of day anyway, no need to get a seizure now...save it for later.

Starwars

Arcane
I do wonder if this project will make it though. It's still at less than half of what it needs and the slowdown is likely gonna set in now (might have already, haven't followed it). 3.3mil is a lot to ask and Fig isn't kickstarter. Perhaps there will be some "mystery funding" to bring it over the goal in the end though.
Maybe that's viewing it skeptically though, a full month left so anything can happen I guess.

It's pretty weird that they decided to bring Tim's game as the first big project given all the drama from Broken Age and the Spacebase game. But I guess that's down to stuff like scheduling also.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
Reading this thread makes me feel old.

On one hand one of the coolest video games of the past 10 years is getting a sequel, which despite everything at least calls for cautious optimism, since some of the same people responsible for the original are behind this one. (Unlike some other sequels in recent years.)

On the other hand, this thread is full of angsty tryhards competing to see who's the edgiest, whiniest little dipshit of them all.

You have beef with Tim Schaefer trying to fund his next game, based on his inability to plan a game budget and seeming general mismanagement? Go ahead, I'm not bothered. I saw and heard signs of those negative traits from listening to the Director's Commentary of Grim Fandango, and that touches on events from 20 years ago. My concern is more about him using Fig to fund Psychonauts 2, as I get the feeling that he's using the game to promote the service (or is it the other way around?).

I AM, however, bothered by the angsty tryhards here trying to out-stupid anti-Gamergaters by making statements such as sending Schaefer (and his supporters) anthrax by post. (The join dates of the posters involved speaks for itself.) Precisely what will that accomplish? If anything, that will net Schaefer MORE money through sympathy and mainstream media publicity, not to mention give points to aGG.

If anything, this thread proves that we gamers are generally stupid cunts. You're raging, ranting and whining that a middle-aged man is working within an industry, trying to make ends meet, trying to create entertainment products for the rest of us. Sure, no one is above criticism, but most of you aren't even doing that, you're just dogpiling on the shit-throwing frenzy. And he's not even that bad or evil a figure in the gaming industry. Compare him to Randy Pitchford over at Gearbox, who takes funds from one project to complete another, creates fake demos of games, then denies and lies about the whole thing. Schaefer appears merely incompetent by comparison. We could bring Bethesda, EA and Sega into this as well, but then we're comparing giant, evil, soulless corporations...to one guy and his studio. Not exactly fair.

So step back, take a deep breath, and chill. It'll be a couple of years before this sees the light of day anyway, no need to get a seizure now...save it for later.

lol

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
worth noting that I believe Schafer stated the required budget to do Psychonauts 2 would be 18 million.

Also, this may be the game that finally kills Double Fine, giving an even greater reason to back. If it works, fuck yeah Psychonauts 2, if it fails you can say you financed the organized destruction of Tim Schafer.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I like the idea of independent studios getting to release their own IP.

Independent studios with their own successful IPs have security, which allows them to take chances once in a while.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I haven't played PoE, or Wasteland 2, but I support those games because they can help InXile and Obsidian get into a position where they can eventually take a chance on something good in the future.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Dead State is a game that's great to watch someone do a let's play with, but it's torture to actually play it yourself.

Broken Sword: Serpent's Curse was awesome. I hope Revolution Software and DoubleBear prosper and release more games in the future.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
GGers are mostly butthurt at Schaefer because of that sockpuppet joke he made at GDC. You know this because they don't even bring up actual morally suspect moves by DF, like waiting for the Massive Chalice KS to end before admitting to problems with Broken Age's development, or putting Spacebase DF-9 on sale right before announcing ending its development. Just more proof they care more about people insulting their precious little tribe than ethics or SJWs or whatever the fuck else the claim to be about. :smug:

Giving Schaefer money is still a risky venture to say the least, though.

Tehdagah

Arcane
1) Psychonauts was fucking great, similar to Beyond Good & Evil. No need to shit on the man's legacy because of his most recent work.
Another overrated hipster game. This one gained a cult status due to the strong and independent unattractive non-sexualized female protagonist.

Also, Zero Punctuation talks too much about presentation and mood but not so much about everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom