Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pure mage in Morrowind (and expansions): Hard or Impossible?

My Name is

Novice
Scrolls are ridiculously good; 100 lockpicking, Windform scrolls let you fly across 1/3 of the world map while invisible plus Drathis Soulrot scrolls that kills "mobile ATM" Ordinators in just 2 hits. All of these for low, low rank of Conjurer in Mages Guild. Besides, Creeper is also just a few houses away for all your liquidating needs.

Codexlurker

Savant
My Name is said:
Scrolls are ridiculously good; 100 lockpicking, Windform scrolls let you fly across 1/3 of the world map while invisible plus Drathis Soulrot scrolls that kills "mobile ATM" Ordinators in just 2 hits. All of these for low, low rank of Conjurer in Mages Guild. Besides, Creeper is also just a few houses away for all your liquidating needs.

Those 50 and 100 lock scrolls are all over the place. Boy, Morrowind is packed with thieves.

DraQ

Arcane
Creeper does not only ignore mercantile, but can be sold items at 101% value and sell them back at 99% value via haggling, creating infinite money loop.

tl;dr
People who use Creeper are fargoths.
:smug:

That's odd, but you might be right.
I've tested it and there don't seem to be damage differences.
It's odd because hits are localized to individual bodyparts, as the game does calculate which piece of armour was hit and plays appropriate sound while also subtracting durability. It's just that it doesn't seem to use individual AR.
:decline:
Well, poo.

I'm deeply butthurt.
:x

Also, I have no access to game's code :P .

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DraQ said:
I AM BUTTHURT MY LOVELY MORROWIND HAS SO MANY BROKEN MECHANICS SO I WILL MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE PLAYING IT NOT MY WAY

God relax DraQ you're a bro but you take this Morrowind thing too seriously.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's ridiculous how meek enemy spellcasters are in Mor(r)o(n)wind compared to Arena and Daggerfall were fireballs moved to your character almost at the speed of light, a simple wraith in Arena can spam a volley of fireballs in less than 3 seconds, meaning if your character isn't protected = death.

Similarly in Daggerfall liches and vampires spammed not only damage spells, but also poison, silence, paralyze, etc. Again, unprotected character dead in seconds.

Of course, in Daggerfall there existed the spells "Dispel Undead", "Banish Daedra" and "Disintegrate" making all enemies go *poof* at the wave of your hands (this was balanced by the fact that you would get zero loot) and spells actually became more powerful as you leveled up, eventually reaching 100% effectiveness.

While in Morrowind you close in with any mage and bash in his/her skull while the sucker is still waving about his/her hands like a retart. Even supposedly ancient and powerful casters like the Telvanni councilers go down in mere seconds (said casters should of course be equipped with ridiculously powerful enchanted items that either summon an army of Daedric creatures upon being hit, or transport them away upon being hit, or rape your character upon being hit). Fyr lasts a bit longer only because of his Daedric armour.

The only magic danger in Morrowind is when a Dremora Lord appears in your back when you pick a cursed item from a sacrificial altar in a ruin, and only at low levels.

hakuroshi

Augur
Speaking of thread necromancy... Gedna Revel in Tribunal is quite dangerous if you don't have protection from magic. His spells deal around 600 hp.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If you head into Tribunal after Morrowind main game, you should have enough crap lying around that makes you impossible to kill by magic. Bigger threats are actually that bitch with the poison-paralyze arrows and the Black Dart gang.

Enemies like that lich and Gaenor are an annoyance for a pure mage LARP because they're either immune to magic, or reflect everything. Relying on summons takes ages, so you're forced to resort to custom made Tenser's Transformation Super Saiyan spell.

Captain Shrek

If you head into Tribunal after Morrowind main game, you should have enough crap lying around that makes you impossible to kill by magic. Bigger threats are actually that bitch with the poison-paralyze arrows and the Black Dart gang.

Enemies like that lich and Gaenor are an annoyance for a pure mage LARP because they're either immune to magic, or reflect everything. Relying on summons takes ages, so you're forced to resort to custom made Tenser's Transformation Super Saiyan spell.

100% Immunity to magic is dirt cheap. Start as a Breton and find the hair shirt of whoitsface. 100% magic immunity right within first two towns.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's ridiculous how meek enemy spellcasters are in Mor(r)o(n)wind compared to Arena and Daggerfall were fireballs moved to your character almost at the speed of light, a simple wraith in Arena can spam a volley of fireballs in less than 3 seconds, meaning if your character isn't protected = death.

Similarly in Daggerfall liches and vampires spammed not only damage spells, but also poison, silence, paralyze, etc. Again, unprotected character dead in seconds.

Of course, in Daggerfall there existed the spells "Dispel Undead", "Banish Daedra" and "Disintegrate" making all enemies go *poof* at the wave of your hands (this was balanced by the fact that you would get zero loot) and spells actually became more powerful as you leveled up, eventually reaching 100% effectiveness.

While in Morrowind you close in with any mage and bash in his/her skull while the sucker is still waving about his/her hands like a retart. Even supposedly ancient and powerful casters like the Telvanni councilers go down in mere seconds (said casters should of course be equipped with ridiculously powerful enchanted items that either summon an army of Daedric creatures upon being hit, or transport them away upon being hit, or rape your character upon being hit). Fyr lasts a bit longer only because of his Daedric armour.

The only magic danger in Morrowind is when a Dremora Lord appears in your back when you pick a cursed item from a sacrificial altar in a ruin, and only at low levels.
I'd say that of all the TES games, resistances and immunity mattered the most in Arena and the least in Morrowind. I say so, because I never bothered getting resistance or immunity to anything in Morrowind and still did just fine. Only while killing Vivec did I turn any resistances on. But in Arena, not having any resistance/immunity meant certain death. No amount of save/reload would save you, which was still possible in Daggerfall.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

100% Immunity to magic is dirt cheap. Start as a Breton and find the hair shirt of whoitsface. 100% magic immunity right within first two towns.
Still, at least in Morrowind magic resistance was separate from elemental resistance, while Oblivion went full retard.

Captain Shrek

I agree. I personally enjoyed Morowind very much.

DraQ

Arcane
You mean Cuirass of Saviour Hide, not Hair Shirt of St. Aralor.

Neither is within first two towns and immunity to magic won't help you in the least if you get attacked with elemental damage or silenced or paralysed.

Captain Shrek

Neither is within first two towns and immunity to magic won't help you in the least if you get attacked with elemental damage or silenced or paralysed.
Right. But somehow I manged to find it quite quickly. But then I played this game a LOOOONG time ago.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

- Which was a silly change in the later Elder Scrolls games. 100% magic immunity to magic means just that. Breaks the game balance by making it too easy to cut off magic attacks.

Got nerfed in Skyrim, but 85% is still enough to make magic worthless against you. Not like magic is any good in Skyrim. Such a lack of variety...

Topher

Cipher
Enemy mages in Morrowind are basically free kills. Even if there spells do massive damage, or have some other powerful effect, a quick side step renders it all useless. Couple that with AI who will happily spam poison attacks on your argonian and enemy mages are clearly a joke. One of the first enemy mages you are likely to fight in the game, at the seyada neen bandit cave, has a drain personality for 1 second spell in his arsenal?!? Even with decent AI and spells that can't be dodge, their spell lists are often incredibly stupid as well.

DraQ

Arcane
Even with decent AI and spells that can't be dodge, their spell lists are often incredibly stupid as well.
I think that spell lists would be easier to fix than all the other stuff, but wasn't there projectile speed for magic attacks somewhere in editor?

Also, scripting enemy caster lists to dynamically include/exclude elemental spells based on your race should be possible.

Shit, I need to sit down some time and implement most of the MW fixes I have in mind. Most consist of merely modifying various lists and properties of stuff, so they should be doable without much CS experience or extensive scripting.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Creeper was fucking awesome. I spent more in-game days with that little guy than exploring the world. He also ends up having stock that's worth in the millions.
I'm not averse to using Creeper (contrary to Mudcrab merchant, who is :retarded:incarnate - probably an idea of Ken Rolston), since he's supported by the lore: he's Barbas.

Topher

Cipher
I think that spell lists would be easier to fix than all the other stuff, but wasn't there projectile speed for magic attacks somewhere in editor?

Also, scripting enemy caster lists to dynamically include/exclude elemental spells based on your race should be possible.

Shit, I need to sit down some time and implement most of the MW fixes I have in mind. Most consist of merely modifying various lists and properties of stuff, so they should be doable without much CS experience or extensive scripting.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's all fixable, yet to my knowledge it remains unfixed. I love Morrowind, it's one of my most play games, but had it been a rogue-like, as they often come under heavy mechanical scrutiny, it would have been declared a "beta" and decried for incomplete mechanics and features. Graphics and marketing buys you a lot of slack, sometimes that's deserved, sometimes it's not.

I'm not averse to using Creeper (contrary to Mudcrab merchant, who is :retarded:incarnate - probably an idea of Ken Rolston), since he's supported by the lore: he's Barbas.

Oblivion lore :troll:

MM is basically an easter egg in the middle of nowhere. Creeper is hanging out in the middle of a easily accessible town, you're sure to run into him sooner or later - they're matched in terms of "wtf is this doing here".

DraQ

Arcane

Oblivion lore :troll:

MM is basically an easter egg in the middle of nowhere. Creeper is hanging out in the middle of a easily accessible town, you're sure to run into him sooner or later - they're matched in terms of "wtf is this doing here".
Creeper is worse in terms of gameplay, because it's almost impossible to stumble upon the mudcrab without metaknowledge, doubly so without killing it in the process.

In terms of lore, well, Clavicus was depicted with a big dog since Daggerfall and it's somehow fitting to have Clavicus' companion in the role of something that lets the player break the enjoyment derived from game out of his own volition.
:troll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Do it faggot.

DO IT.

it's somehow fitting to have Clavicus' companion in the role of something that lets the player break the enjoyment derived from game out of his own volition.
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom