Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Putting the science back in Wasteland 2's science fiction

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

A lot of people wondered why hiring a consultant firm to help with the science(!) in Wasteland 2 was even necessary. The good news is that ArsTechnica caught up with Thwacke Consulting's Sebastian Alvarado to shed some light on how they intend to put the science back into Wasteland 2's science-fiction.
To help shape Wasteland 2's radiation-soaked, er, wasteland, the team at Thwacke reviewed research on everything from Hiroshima to the nuclear tests on Bikini Atoll to determine how survivors and the environment would be affected. For example, Alvarado points out that nuclear blasts often create trinitite, a shiny green glass formed when sand gets super-heated incredibly quickly. Thwacke passes that background on to InXile and lets them decide how or whether to use it in the game.

One of the best examples of how Wasteland 2 will be intertwining real world science and imaginative fantasy probably comes through in enemy design. Alvarado recalls that the InXile team needed some believable enemies for a waterlogged area that had been ruined by a natural disaster. "We wanted to explore what kind of animals would survive in water and out of water, what animals do we know that live in a tidal zone and that could survive, things like that," he said.

The scientists found the humble hermit crab was a likely candidate for post-nuclear survival, thanks to its ability to absorb radiation in its shell and then discard it during a molting cycle. That's the academically valid, scientific part. But since this is still a video game, they wanted to make sure it was a little "off the wall" as Alvarado put it.

"We used radiation as a very simple gaming mechanism to argue that it makes animals super large, because everyone knows radiation makes things super-large... we'll just take that one as a granted," he said, laughing. "So let's let these hermit crabs get [so big] they can't find housing in their conventional shell and they'll actually seek housing in a bus or a telephone booth or something like that."

"So the whole idea is that they'll hide in parts of the environment and they'd actually have this stealth ability, in the fact that they wouldn't actually be seen by the player," Alvarado continued. "It kind of works with a bit of biology, it works a bit with what Wasteland is after ... it fits into this world that Wasteland has with bizarre and fun off-the-wall type humor and everything."
I'm feeling so immersed right now.

kaizoku

Arcane
This whole deal seems like a waste of money.
On all(?) post-apoc games radiation is a deus ex machina to explain "super powers". And that shit just doesn't happen in real life (tm).

Did Wasteland or any other PA game ever aimed at realism?

I suspect designers won't use that info for realism purposes, but more like as sources of inspiration.
For example, considering the sand liquidification effect into glass, maybe they could up with a "crystal castle" area, or a follow the "green bricks" to Oz.
Or use some hermit crabs as source power for cars.

But these are the type of things that you can do on your own by prospering imagining.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Well, Fallout did use FEV to explain most of the mutations, including stuff like radscorpions. Of course, most people missed that and just assumed that things grew big because of radiation.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Giant hermit crabs using buses as shells and shiny green radioactive glass. What say you, Vault Dweller?
This interview and the example given only reinforce my opinion that the scientists involvement wasn't necessary and doesn't bring anything useful to the proverbial table.

So, they were asked what creatures could be found near the water areas [that can appear in-game]. The scientists told them what Bethesda figured out 3 games ago - crabs. Who knew, right? Now, in-game creatures should be "off the wall", i.e. wacky. Again, who knew? So, we're gonna make crabs huge - giant crabs! - blame it on radiation and give them cool shells. This is what a creature concept artist does, btw, in case you're wondering. They would design a giant (in this case) creature and give it some discarded pre-war items, like Bethesda did with the behemoth - make it big and give him a shopping cart and a fire hydrant on a metal pole as a makeshift mace.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This interview and the example given only reinforce my opinion that the scientists involvement wasn't necessary and doesn't bring anything useful to the proverbial table.

So, they were asked what creatures could be found near the water areas [that can appear in-game]. The scientists told them what Bethesda figured out 3 games ago - crabs. Who knew, right? Now, in-game creatures should be "off the wall", i.e. wacky. Again, who knew? So, we're gonna make crabs huge - giant crabs! - blame it on radiation and give them cool shells. This is what a creature concept artist does, btw, in case you're wondering. They would design a giant (in this case) creature and give it some discarded pre-war items, like Bethesda did with the behemoth - make it big and give him a shopping cart and a fire hydrant on a metal pole as a makeshift mace.

I don't think an amateur would have thought about hermit crabs specifically. The whole bit about them swapping shells to discharge radiation. That could even be part of a quest or a special way to defeat them or something.

almondblight

Arcane
I don't think an amateur would have thought about hermit crabs specifically. The whole bit about them swapping shells to discharge radiation. That could even be part of a quest or a special way to defeat them or something.

Yeah, it's good that we have the scientists for that. Hermit crabs can absorb less radiation, and since the radiation makes things huge if they didn't they couldn't discard their irradiated shells they would be...wait a second...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't think an amateur would have thought about hermit crabs specifically.
That's exactly the problem, creature concept artists have been extremely amateur & unnimaginative in recent years. All we get is 8-years old kid level of mythological references (dogs names fenrir or cerberus, hur dur) or endless reuse of done-to-death cliches like giant mutated animals, Lord of the Rings/D&D bestiary varaints and the likes. You know that a scorpion-shaped robot woudn't pop up as an idea today, is too "silly" and these guys take thenselves too seriously.

FFS, there are countless places a PROFESSIONAL concept artists could draw influences from, but it seems that is simpy asking to much nowadays for them to know more than really basic greek & nordic mythos and own a D&D bestiary book one. No, let's hire a scientist to inspire us to create giant crabs... what a breakthrought!

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't think an amateur would have thought about hermit crabs specifically.
If you want to make a distinctive crab, that's your only choice. Hermit crabs aren't something obscure that only a scientist would know. You may forget what it's called and have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that most people know that there is a crab that uses empty shells.

In the end though, is there a difference for the player? Other than the cool factor?

The whole bit about them swapping shells to discharge radiation. That could even be part of a quest or a special way to defeat them or something.
I doubt it. First, it would require an extra model and animations. Second, they swap shells not to discharge radiation but to get a bigger one. Third, the shell, especially made out of a pre-war, rusty car isn't armor impervious to bullets and grenades.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Hermit crabs aren't something obscure that only a scientist would know. I mean, look at me for instance. I think of Hermit crabs every fucking day. And I mean EVERY. Fucking. Day. Shit, just the other day I was spitballing ideas to my tape recorder (I call it "The Scientist") and I was like "Ok, distinctive post-apocalyptic creature ideas--GO!!" and man you should have seen how many times I caught myself saying things like "Hermit crabs!" or "Hermit crabs swapping shells to discharge radiation!!" before I'd catch myself chuckling and thinking "Oh yeah, baby. I got this."

:hmmm:

crafthack

Educated
hopefully it's not too silly though i would really like to see some "scary" maps in WL2 with some creatures like the floaters or centaurs from Fallout, especially with morgan's music it could be cool

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Here, I just did a quick gathering of some of Wasteland's creatures, apart from rats & humans:

8VUfp.png

I think the science department woudn't be able to come up with any of those, much less approve their in-game existance...

Morkar Left

Not a bad idea to have some "real" science in it to make it more believable.

But mudcrabs again? Sigh, science is really boring sometimes...

In the end though, is there a difference for the player? Other than the cool factor?

The "cool factor" is enough. Details are important.

A user named cat

"I saw a hermit crab the other day in General Discussion. Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can."

Gord

Arcane
Small anecdote I just remembered:
I saw this documentary about the influence of Chernobyl on the fauna living in the vicinity of the power plant a while ago.
It recounted the findings of scientists researching the long-term effects on different species.
Short summary: While some species deal with it better than others, most animals looked surprisingly healthy and normal. There was a higher rate of mutations esp. amongst birds, but just the boring kind, i.e. small deformations. Especially rodents coped pretty well, though
So, just going by hard science, the game might turn out somewhat... boring.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hermit crabs aren't something obscure that only a scientist would know. I mean, look at me for instance. I think of Hermit crabs every fucking day. And I mean EVERY. Fucking. Day. Shit, just the other day I was spitballing ideas to my tape recorder (I call it "The Scientist") and I was like "Ok, distinctive post-apocalyptic creature ideas--GO!!" and man you should have seen how many times I caught myself saying things like "Hermit crabs!" or "Hermit crabs swapping shells to discharge radiation!!" before I'd catch myself chuckling and thinking "Oh yeah, baby. I got this."

:hmmm:
You're right. Who's ever heard of hermit crabs? Every fucking child, apparently (the scientists of tomorrow!).

sebastian2.jpg
dieg-hermitcrab-01.jpg
PerfectShell_Mason.jpg

281322.jpg
thumb_ahouseforhermitcrab.jpg
51x9mIn-6kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think the science department woudn't be able to come up with any of those, much less approve their in-game existance...

And what exactly is special about any of those? Some people really try to make Wasteland's setting a lot more than it is. It's just stuff thrown together for the "cool factor". A bunch of robots, 2 humanoid mutants and one giant worm. WOW, who could come up with this, man? For fuck's sake, just grab the notebook of some random high-school kid and you'll have enough robot and mutant drawings for two Wastelands. Well, OK, today you might find it full of tentacle rape and mechas instead.

But anyway, I'm not saying that this "style" is bad and it certainly set the tone for Wasteland. But to claim that it's something so original it's fucking hilarious. It's not, and there was no more thought put in it than "let's make it what's cool today and also LETS HAVE TOASTER REPAIR CUZ ITZ FUNNY LOL ALSO KILLER CLOWN GANGS ARE FUNNY".

The "cool factor" is enough. Details are important.

No, they're not. VD decided so for every gamer out there. Didn't you hear? People don't care. They just want to teleport.

catfood

AGAIN
Here, I just did a quick gathering of some of Wasteland's creatures, apart from rats & humans:

8VUfp.png

Yeah, seriously what the fuck was wrong with the original creatures? I mean who (short of terminal assburger cases) the fuck cares if some shit in a game isn't scientifically accurate? Wasteland 1 was like a Monty Python sketch on crack and you know what? it still made sense because it had internal consistency which is vital when making settings. The game had a lighthearted tone for the most part and the critters populating it were in tone with this.

Now I'm not saying that a more scientific aproach to world building is a bad thing but only if the setting of a game calls for it. Wasteland 1 was full of lulz. Fallout 1 tried to explain some things but I doubt centaurs and super mutants can be scientifically explained even with alll that FEV jazz. By the looks of it WL2 is distancing away from the original and moving towards F1 when it comes to tone, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but it's obvous that this SCEINS!!11 schtick is just a marketing gimmick since they don't have anything more concrete to show at this moment. "Hey guys so uh about dem updates we uh we uh brought in SCIENMAJIFICS to help us make the game more SCIENMAGIFICAL FOR YOU so uh yeah guys tune in next time."

PorkaMorka

Arcane
While Fargo says most players probably wouldn't mind if Wasteland 2 had no connection to modern science, he thinks having some grounding in reality can only be a good thing. "I find that being inspired by nature and science is always helpful when fleshing out a world," he said. "Nobody really cared how the forests of Avatar were inspired by Cameron's exploration of the ocean yet it gave it a wonderful look. Much of our work with Thwacke helped inspire some big ideas that we might not have come across otherwise. Sometimes the truth really is stranger than fiction."

It's important that a focus on realism doesn't impinge on making a fun and imaginative games, though. Fargo says players definitely shouldn't worry on that score. "We would never let the realism trump the fun factor of the gameplay as our goal is to make a game a not a simulator or learning game," he said. "We are focused on the experience over the realism and the two can work hand in hand. The sensibilities of our Wasteland world are well documented in the vision document that we posted so the input of Thwacke does not affect the world feel in a negative way."

Alvarado agrees wholeheartedly. "I know some people are saying, 'Oh, I don't want Wasteland 2 to be scientifically accurate or realistic, because that would ruin such an off the wall game,' we're not doing that at all. ... We know that the game would be pretty boring if it had to be 100 percent realistic. We're trying to add some science facts on to their fiction just to give it a bit more grounding in reality. If you happen to identify with some of the actual science, you enjoy it that much more. If you don't, that's fine, you're still going to enjoy the game."

The Hermit crab example sounds fun to me. I don't see any possibility that the game will be too realistic. It will just be a little bit less dumb than other games.

Fargo seems like a relatively savvy businessman, so I'm guessing that he is not spending a lot of money to hire these guys. There probably isn't a lot of call for these consulting services, especially in this economy.They are probably happy to work for cheap and get some publicity.

If it turns out that this is eating up a lot of the budget, then it is bad. If it turns out these guys are working for cheap, it's a fun idea that will probably enhance my enjoyment of the game.

EDIT: I've never heard of any of the other companies that they are consulting with, so I'm guessing they jumped at the opportunity to work on a semi-well known project like W2.

http://www.thwacke.com/clients.html

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The funny thing is that even the stereotypical, "wacky" and unscientific idea of a post apocalyptic wasteland is based on science.

The idea that radiation causes mutations comes from science. It's not fantasy, it's not magic. This discussion is about differences of degree, not of kind.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasteland 1 was like a Monty Python sketch on crack and you know what?

Yeah... no.

Now I'm not saying that a more scientific aproach to world building

Well, you've seen from this article how scientific it is. But hey, according with VD everybody could come up with that anyway because LOL LOOK KIDZ BOOKZ HAHAHA GET IT EVEN KIDS COULD COME UP WITH IT ITZ SO OBVIOUS.
Also scientists are hacks who can't really tell how a creature would evolve, because human evolution has missing links so who needs those losers anyway?

Gord

Arcane
internal consistency

Yes. Although I'd go a bit further and demand plausibility, as well.
I'm perfectly fine with SCIENCE! in a game instead of real science and therefore don't bother much about giant hermit crabs.
But somehow I thought they hired/consulted some scientists mostly for stuff like "What are the immediate and long term effects of a global thermonuclear war on climate?" or "What will be the typical destruction pattern of a nuclear attack" or even "How will (distribution of) fauna/flora be affected?", i.e. some background stuff one can use to flesh out the game. Stuff where being scientifically accurate is a nice touch, without it being too restricting.

I have to agree with VD on one thing there, which is that they could have come up with that hermit-crab idea on their own, without needing scientific counsel.
You don't need to ask scientists to know that you might find hermit crabs close to the water. Just open a book. The idea that they use the shells to cope with radiation is nice, but ultimately of no consequence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom