Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pyre - Supergiant Games is at it again

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game looks visually sharp.

The trailer's plucky guitar reminded me of Bruce Dickinson's Jerusalem...

Can't quite put my finger on it. I have nothing else to contribute to this other than I apparently got Bastion in June 2012 and have yet to play it.

Interesting looking game and the people behind it are clearly talented, but the gameplay is simplistic rubbish. What a waste.

It only confirms the rule that when an indie game is hyped to oblivion it's most likely garbage. This is pretty, sounds nice , and the setting is at least somewhat interesting (they took the loredump on mouseover concept from Pillars of Eternity), but there's no gameplay to speak of.

How is such a thing even marketed as an RPG? It really is a visual novel with a minigame, as said above.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
What a snob!

I assume you are talking to me. If hating retarded hipster shit for retards that has the audacity to call itself an rpg on a site devoted to supposedly the "incline" of the genre makes me a snob then I'll wear that moniker like a badge of honor.

The devs chose to make a super rpg lite hipster shit for kids and retards. I didn't. Some other retard decided to post about this hipster shit in the general rpg forum instead of the general gaming forum. I didn't. I love good rpgs and hate rpg lite hipster shit. That is why I post on an rpg site. Why do you and the other people that like this "game" post here? Why not go to a general gaming site devoted to hipster shit and console trash? Your kind isn't wanted here, whereas my kind is needed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Game looks visually sharp.

The trailer's plucky guitar reminded me of Bruce Dickinson's Jerusalem...

Can't quite put my finger on it. I have nothing else to contribute to this other than I apparently got Bastion in June 2012 and have yet to play it.

I was in the same boat. Recently I decided to give Bastion a try. I found it really good for some short, light entertainment. The narrative aspect and areas being build as you go is pretty unique. Graphics are very pleasant to look at. But the most fun aspect was the extremely varied arsenal you quickly accumulate and get the opportunity to upgrade. The variety of movesets (or in this case maybe more accurately control schemes) is quite astounding. Most of the weapons feel unique, powerful and fun. Also at least some upgrades are game-changers.

I heartily recommend Bastion for a quick gaming fix.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'm with YES! Bastion was boring and dumb and I this sounds even worse. I wouldn't care if it was just another indie game in the sea of indie trash, but somehow this gets hyped and reviews pretend it is bigger than it is. The hype and blind love of indie darlings deserves to be used elsewhere.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can this pronoun shit be for real.

Seriously? Pyre gives you the choice of being male or female (that's it, just standard he or she), like a zillion other games. I can't believe anyone is bothered by this, the most basic element of character creation. Even by codex standards that's crazy. There's no trans option, no intersex option, no queer option (the presence of which would be fine with me), just boy or girl.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Why do people pretend to enjoy things I don't like?!!! Stop pretending, you fake fakers!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What a snob!

I assume you are talking to me. If hating retarded hipster shit for retards that has the audacity to call itself an rpg on a site devoted to supposedly the "incline" of the genre makes me a snob then I'll wear that moniker like a badge of honor.

The devs chose to make a super rpg lite hipster shit for kids and retards. I didn't. Some other retard decided to post about this hipster shit in the general rpg forum instead of the general gaming forum. I didn't. I love good rpgs and hate rpg lite hipster shit. That is why I post on an rpg site. Why do you and the other people that like this "game" post here? Why not go to a general gaming site devoted to hipster shit and console trash? Your kind isn't wanted here, whereas my kind is needed.
Put that monocle on you asshole in the hopes of stopping the shitrfalls that is coming from you.Also i didn't say the game is a rpg,oh and i hate hipsters.By the way you sound just like some hipster "Ohhh look at me i like only old stuff everything else is shit because i am special snowflake!".Also talking about rpg i doubt that you have even played half the rpgs i have played.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, just finished it in just about 10 hours of playtime, which is pathetic honestly speaking. I’ll elaborate on this... game soon.

hajro

Arbiter
How can this pronoun shit be for real.

Seriously? Pyre gives you the choice of being male or female (that's it, just standard he or she), like a zillion other games. I can't believe anyone is bothered by this, the most basic element of character creation. Even by codex standards that's crazy. There's no trans option, no intersex option, no queer option (the presence of which would be fine with me), just boy or girl.
There is a They option

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mea culpa, I didn't click through all the gender options in the menu. I do like how the game lets you get reassignment surgery in the same place where you can change the hotkeys, but I can understand how you might see that as evidence of a certain agenda.

How can it be evidence of anything other than virtue-signalling rubbish? This is a non-game made for trannies.

:edgy:

For real, though, my eyes rolled to the back of my head when I saw that third option. I'm sure that the next game by these people will feature all of NYC's 31 officially sanctioned gender identities.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
What a snob!

Put that monocle on you asshole in the hopes of stopping the shitrfalls that is coming from you.Also i didn't say the game is a rpg,oh and i hate hipsters.By the way you sound just like some hipster "Ohhh look at me i like only old stuff everything else is shit because i am special snowflake!".Also talking about rpg i doubt that you have even played half the rpgs i have played.

I'll take that bet you fucking hipster. Hipsters like hip shit. That is how you can tell a hipster from normal people who think for themselves. If there is a non-game or a shit game that is super popular and well reviewed it is popular because of hipsters being hipsters and having to be hip enough to like the same hip shit as their retarded piers. You are a hipster, you like shit, and you are retarded.

Hipsters and their shit taste ruin things for everyone. Now more devs will try to make artsy shit games with no gameplay or content to be cool like these guys. While non-hipsters and people with brains super actual rpg developers, like inXile.

Lastly, you are almost certainly a kid and have played jack and shit. You probably have played more console games you think are rpgs than I have, but I've been playing crpgs almost exclusively for 3 decades. And since I place gameplay way over artsy fartsy shit I am willing to play way more games than most people would try. Why, because I'm here because I like rpgs. You are here to support hipster shit and destroy this genre.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Okay, so as I said I’ve finished it. It took me something about 10 hours, or so my Steam says and it’s usually pretty exact when it comes to this, so there you have it, 10 hours of playtime. I’m talking only about single player campaign here, and I guess that if I would have done everything properly I could add 1 more hour to this, and that’s as far as it goes. I read pretty fast and game is very text-heavy (especially compared to previous Supergiant games, which were extremely focused on voiced narration driven plot, in context voice acting in this one is almost non-existent), so I guess if someone reads slower than me (because said someone have only played fucking games all one’s life or something) it could add to the count, but in the end – what you should expect is 10-15 hours of game. It’s fucking short. But it’s short on purpose. Plot is constructed in a way that encourages multiple playthroughs, I’m not going to explain why, because that’s a spoiler, and taking into consideration that this game is so fucking short, then as you might guess spoilers start to fly pretty early.

As for the genre, this game IS NOT a cRPG and should never be named as such. My guess and my estimation is that’s a visual novel with pretty heavy elements of pure game. The Banner Saga is closest kin to this game, if you played The Banner Saga then you perhaps know what you are signing for. Pyre has some elements commonly associated with cRPGs or jRPGs. Each character has stats, four of them, but they only, and I mean only, influence performance during the match/the game/whatever the fuck this is what you are doing most of the time. There is equipment and there are items, but this is so fucking basic that I guess most racing games done that better and in more depth. There are no side quests bare one optional questline which is connected with personal ability trials of your characters. So there you have it – visual, interactive novel with heavy focus on the plot and on battles, with light mechanics and ultimately not very much content.

Most of the content is in the lore and backstory, but here’s the trick. Supergiant Games learned their lesson from Morrowind, that being said most of the backstory is optional, and like 95% of the lore is even more optional. That’s pretty fucking amazing and I praise this design choice. Lore is always explained by the method of in-world description, comes from mouths of certain characters or from the Book of Rites. The Book is an important artefact that in-lore lets your character – the Reader – conduct the rites, but aside from that it serves as a source of lore. It’s written pretty well, and world that it describes is rather nice and well-constructed. Game does not shove exposition into your throat with a fucking shovel. You know that the Outside is a purgatory for political dissidents from the Commonwealth, that all your party members did something to deserve this punishment, and that there are Eight Scribes, folk heroes who probably invented the rites and are believed to watch over the Outside – that’s it. That’s all that you need to know, rest is optional, and rest is very interesting for the most part.

As for the plot – it’s a highly forgettable story about simple truths and simplest of problems. AND ABOUT MUH FREEDOM, Jesus, I was so bored by the political propaganda of one of the main characters… Nevermind. Game does not even compare to Bastion or Transistor in this department and this is a FUCKING SHAME. Game also does not create such brilliant narrative moments like Zulf moment from Bastion, mainly because it’s not so focused on the narrative. It’s less linear than it seems and plot suffers from it. Supergiant focused on the characters instead, and while, as I have said previously, they are clichés of clichés, they are still written competently, their backstories are basic but interesting, and game is made so that you eventually connect with at least some of them. As always Supergiant put much effort into side characters, and they deserve praise for that. Even the Voice that at the start (once again, for those interested, he’s fucking Magnus from Text-to-Speech Device, this is hilarious) seems to be only a narrator of the events and sports commentator equivalent ends up as a character with an agenda, so that’s nice I guess. But for those who will end up buying it and expecting tight, narration driven plot as was presented in Bastion or in Transistor, they will end up disappointed. Devs did not handle sort-of-open-narration and choices & consequences kind of story. There are many choices in this piece of gaming, but I’m yet to see how it translates to the plot, I’m afraid that not very much.

And yeah. You can fuck up. I believed so. See, here’s the trick. If you lose a battle, than you must suffer the consequences, and I would say that they are rather… dire. Also, you can make bad choices in-game when choosing where to go, what to do or what to say to certain characters. There is however a one big BUT to this all. You can fucking restart a rite. When you lose a battle you can easily go to the main menu and click restart the rite, and here you go, have another swing at it. It’s this game’s ersatz of save scamming, but option is evident and easy to use. This fucking sucks and is pure decline. You either commit or do not commit to style of playthrough in which defeats hurt you.

And on to the rites, that is the matches. Plot is that you play a magical ball and gain mystical enlightenment from tossing this fucking ball into a colourful flame. Who am I to judge what Supergiant thinks is spiritual enlightenment, but whatever. They are fun. Dynamic. Unique. I’ve never seen anything like that in a game like this, that’s for certain. As the game progresses the fights become more difficult, and you have an option to make them even more difficult, this is cool. AI knows some really fucking nasty tricks, Supergiant really made it smart when it should be, and in late game you really need to focus, what AI can do to you is sometimes impressive and invites a challenge. Each character really plays differently, outside of perhaps two or three speed focused ones. You can make all different kind of teams and you play against sometimes very varied enemies. Some skills of some heroes encourage slower, more tactical approach, while other characters tell you to play fast and with no regrets, so while overall dynamic, rites can be approached from different angles. Yet still, the mechanics behind whole match/rite system are shallow. Game ends exactly when you feel that you explored all the options. Supergiant could have utilized different kinds of terrain or give heroes more abilities, or make items relevant, I don’t know. All arenas have more-or-less the same shape, and terrain obstacles are almost never truly hard to overcome. In the end I felt that fights in this game had their moments, but were overall underdeveloped.

What can I say about the art style. It’s good for what it is, if someone digs the colour palette and aesthetics than it’s cool. Supergiant are generally extremely competent when it comes to their art, and this game is no different. It took much inspiration however from a source that’s not to my general liking – from jRPGs. There are moments in this game when you’ll feel like you’re playing an jRPG. Especially during conversations or during travel. It’s however western take on the overall style, close to Child of Light or The Amber Throne for example, so that’s not bad by the definition. As for the music, I uphold what I’ve said, it’s a good soundtrack with some brilliant themes, and I think it ranks the lowest out of their three games.

Overall – good game I guess? Good visual novel with rather heavy gameplay aspect? Plot is good and competent, some characters are fun, lore and setting are entertaining. Fights are really cool and sometimes tense, but still a lot of pleasure from them. Art as per usual with the devs is good, for some even splendid. That’s not a cRPG however and never should have been marketed as such. If you take that into consideration you end up with a good game, just a good game.

And yeah, as for the SJW shit. There. Is. None. Of. It. In. This. Game. Game gives you an option to choose gender of your Reader the same as it gives you the option (at some point) to choose a background or motivation of your Reader. Game gives you the option to choose They as a gender because in the setting there are races which do not have classical human genders, that’s it, although game I think assumes that you’re a human. Other than that this game is classic, even sexist some might say. All characters are either male or female, all at least slightly suggested romance sublots (be that your characters FAILED attempts or stories of other NPCs) are heterosexual, and only interracial romance in this game between human-like beings promotes a white dude banging a black chick (yeah Celeste we all know you want this BWC). So there you have it.

hajro

Arbiter
Holy shit the -ae girl is a
TRAP
:stunned::5/5::positive:

Edit: oh i mistunderstood her, THANK GOD

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Game gives you the option to choose They as a gender because in the setting there are races which do not have classical human genders, that’s it, although game I think assumes that you’re a human.
Was it confirmend that They is supposed to be a gender? Considering the plot it is very likely that reader is in fact a royalty, so it's natural for them to refer to themselves as We.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom