Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Qt\QtQuick Tutorial

tiagocc0

Arcane
Different hardware? 64?
Qt can use Visual Studio to compile.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
iOS, Android .. something like that. They want to see it run on a tablet or even smartphones and though I am not sold on the idea, it could be doable.

It'd be also a generally interesting study how the multi platform development with C++ works in practice.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Here you can see what compilers you can use, each is a different install and they can coexist.
You can have one project to be set to compile for several builds.

d63xwj3.png

Burning Bridges

Ah ok, I had seen those but thanks. I was more looking for a short summary what I have to do, from the viewpoint of a fellow developer.

Here you can see what compilers you can use, each is a different install and they can coexist.
You can have one project to be set to compile for several builds.

d63xwj3.png

I know, but there are no build configurations. That means if I want anything but MinGW32 I have to make a configuration myself (.. or so I think).

tiagocc0

Arcane
I compiled once for android but it was a long time ago.
It is a bit of pain in the ass to set everything up, but the pain is in setting the original environment, like if you wanted to compile for android without Qt.

So if you need help just look how to compile for android using google tools, setting up environment and all, when it's ready you just need to install Qt with the right version and the rest is the same.

The same goes for ios. So the painful part is the actual original setting of what target you want to use.

EDIT: If you want to use visual studio, just install it and then install qt for visual studio and it will work.

Burning Bridges

Thanks for the valuable information. Apparently it's going to be Android. I'll veto the iOS / OSX toolchain and my boss does not want Windows tablets. Andoid sounds like kind of a good, open compromise and costs least.

I compiled once for android but it was a long time ago.
It is a bit of pain in the ass to set everything up, but the pain is in setting the original environment, like if you wanted to compile for android without Qt.

So if you need help just look how to compile for android using google tools, setting up environment and all, when it's ready you just need to install Qt with the right version and the rest is the same.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you be a little more specific what you mean with "compile for android without Qt". I assume you mean the same as if I were to compile regular C++ apps (Visual Studio/ MinGW)??

google tools

"google tools"?? would it be a good idea to learn the process of compiling and deploying simple apps on Android first and then approach Qt? Is that what you mean?

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob but this is all new to me. so far I have never developed anything for a mobile device :(

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hey, don't worry about it. This is like one of those things that is really hard to approach but when you do it once it all makes sense.

Yes, what I mean is let's say I want to compile for Android in the official way, so I set up everything I need and now I'm able to compile it using Android Studio for example.
This means that everything you need to make it work for Qt is already there, so you can go to the Qt Online Installer and install 'Android ARMv7' version.
The downside is that you will get some things that you don't need, which is the Android Studio itself.

But if you follow this http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/androidgs.html should be enough.

So all this set up the environment that I'm talking about is this part here:

Installing the Prerequisites
In order to use Qt for Android, you need the following:

After installing these tools, update the Android SDK by installing the API and build tools packages required for development. You can install these packages either through Android Studio or using the command line tools package you installed earlier. For more details, refer to the Android Studio documentation.

As long as you install Qt later, after setting everything up, Qt Creator will auto configure the paths for you. If you install it first it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to set the compiler and all the stuff manually.
You can always reinstall it as well.

So the process for compiling is the same for Windows, you tell it to compile and it will generate an apk file which you can put on your android device, install and test.

If you want to compile and it 'magically' run on your device, I think is possible but I have never done it.

What will probably scare you is the part about publishing it but you can learn it later, for testing purposes I don't think it's necessary.

Burning Bridges

Fucking-A :)

I think I understand I will install the Android SDKs and then reinstall Qt and then try to setup the ARM target. The advantage is that I can begin with something simple like Hello World, not necessarily a full Qt App.

And apk is equivalent to an msi file? Is it basically a compressed exe (or equivalent to jar) file?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yes, I think it's just zip. Android is set to try to install it so if you copy it to the android device and run a file manager it will install for you.
You may need to set an option to allow unknown sources.

Like this site that keeps an copy of every official apk https://www.apkmirror.com/

You can download instagram for example and manually install it to test, or any other app.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad that you made so much progress Burning Bridges! For Android you do need the SDK installed first. You don't need to reinstall the whole Qt thing though, just run Qt Maintenance Tool and add the components you need.

I'm also very curious on what the different coloured areas mean in your prototype? Unless it's some proprietary knowledge ofc ;)

Burning Bridges

The colored areas is various stuff they map, damage and other related stuff. It's work related so they can plan the conservation, for example.

I hope to have a working exporter for CAD maps in the near future. now this is working proof of concept. The shading and coloring with Qt is amazing though, and very intuitive to grasp. And I'm just scratching the surface .. I'm not so sure that the tablet thing will work without problems, but I agreed it can be tried. I wanted to make a PC based program with beefier hardware, but we will see what else comes down the road.

tiagocc0

Arcane
QML doesn't need JDK, it's Android that needs it to compile it seems.
QML uses it's own implementation of java (taken from google) that already comes with Qt.

Burning Bridges

Ok, makes sense. So I need the JDK for Windows to compile Android apps because the IDE is made with Java :lol: there goes another 500 MB

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeah, when I compiled stuff for android I think I did a linux virtual box machine, easier to install stuff and when I didn't want it anymore I could just delete one folder.
Easier to carry around too on a pen drive so I could access the same work environment at home or at work.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Regarding Android compilation on Windows, i agree that the procedure is not one of the easiest.
You need:
  1. JDK (one that starts like jdk-7xxx.exe)
  2. Set up JDK folder path into Windows Environment variables (the PATH), like JAVA_HOME
    Those are needed so that "keytool" and "jarsigner" can sign the compiled APKs
  3. Android NDK, which contains the compiler toolchains for every architecture i.e. x86, arm, mips etc.
    And you also need to setup environment variables for it to be able to use "ndk-build" for command line compilation
    (https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads/index.html)
  4. ANT, which is responsible for building APKs from binaries (http://ant.apache.org)
    And you also need to setup environment variables to use things like "ant X"
  5. Android SDK, to install Android images for specific versions i.e. i wanted to develop for Android 4.4.4 because i had such a tablet, so i downloaded Android 4.4.4 Kitkat and some more from Android SDK (which are not small files)
    Obviously, you need to setup additional variables to Environment variables to be able to use Android SDK binaries such as "android X" to compile APKs
  6. And finally you need either a real table or an emulator like Genymotion
And this is only for clean Android NDK installation (if you code for C++) on Windows.
Some steps you may be able to skip using Qt, which i do not have an idea.
Compiling on iOS seems much more easier for setting the environment (X-code)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom