Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

I know that judging gaem by trailer is fukken low but c'mon.

This

latest

vs this

snaps-quake-about-e3-2016-on-ignzwjpg-bf66d9_765w.jpg

And this....

latest

vs this

quake-1040x580.jpg

:negative:

abija

Prophet
What are you talking about? Looks and behaves like a standard shaft, clearly inspired by Q4 design.
He shoots it like a fucking railgun, in short bursts most of the time. Did they try to replicate gamepad lg usage, whenever you move aim goes of target and you stop?

Venser

Erudite
He shoots it like a fucking railgun, in short bursts most of the time. Did they try to replicate gamepad lg usage, whenever you move aim goes of target and you stop?

OK, I get what you're saying. The whole trailer could've been directed better with some frag movie worthy choreography but it's quite boring except for the badass gauntlet ending.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I know I've been trying to keep my mouth shut about this, but I'm going to spill the beans and hope that some codexer will grab his balls and make something gewd.

ffsfsfffsfsfsfsfsfsfsfsffffsffyoufsfsssfsfsfssffffssfffsfsfcanfsfsffssssfffsfusefffsfsfssfsfsssdarkplacesfssfsffffssssfffsforfsssffsfcommercialsssfsssffsffpurposesffssfsssssffssffff....

Now forget about this abomination and do something good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lul: http://www.pcgamer.com/quake-champions-is-not-a-moba/

Quake Champions is not a MOBA
Id boss Tim Willits wants to clear up the confusion.

Id Software let loose with a trailer for Quake Champions at E3, in which a bunch of heavily-armed men, women, and whatever had a go at each other for reasons unknown. At least two known Quake characters—Ranger and Visor—willapparently be involved, and it will support a 120Hz refresh rate and unlocked framerates. And it is not, Studio Director Tim Willits told Rocket Beans TV, a MOBA.

“There have been some questions, when people saw the Quake Champions trailer, they're like, “Oh my god, is it a MOBA?” Willits said. “No. It's not a MOBA.It's not a MOBA.”

“What we're making is a competitive, arena-style, classic Quake game, with the addition of the Champions,” he continued. “We feel that the Champions are a natural evolution of not only Quake, but the genre. That's why you see a lot of character-driven games, because it doesn't change the fundamental way that you play the game, but it enhances the experience and gives you more to do.”

That characterization naturally leads to thoughts of Overwatch, but Willits said said Quake Champions was not “inspired” by Blizzard's team-based shooter, noting that id had started working on it before Overwatch came out. It will be a “gritty, mature, bloody, competitive, twitchy, high-speed game,” intended to satisfy old-timer Quakers while simultaneously attracting a new audience with a taste for competitive esports. The conventional gameplay modes will all be there, but id is also “refining” one of the team-based modes to make it more esports-focused. The aim is to make it an “inviting and natural progression” from Quake Live, with staples like “rocket jumping, strafing, air control," contained in "a modern game for today."

It will also be exclusive to the PC. “We are not planning on making a console version. We want no excuses, no limitations,” Willits said. “I love our console fans, I'm not shutting the door on consoles, but for this game we want to focus on the platform that can give us the competitive esports angle that we're striving for.”

A release date hasn't been set, but when Quake Champions does come around it will debut in closed beta and expand from there. “We will stay in beta as long as we possibly need to, to ensure it meets our expectations,” Willits said. Beta signups are not currently being taken, but you can register for updates atquake.bethesda.net. Rocket Beans' full interview with Tim Willits is below.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Lol at Popamole Gamer and their empty homages.

The next thing you’ll want to do is install nQuake. nQuake is basically a meta package that grabs all of the most popular mods and enhancements for a solid QuakeWorld experience. We even set up the servers using nQuake. nQuake makes use of the ezQuake engine, and will make it a lot easier to enjoy Quake on a 1080p monitor. (Remember, Quake was published in the era of 4:3 aspect ratio CRT monitors where 800x600 was considered high-res.)

Of course they recommend one of the least faithful source ports out there.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

They're probably already back to playing Overwatch or whatever the popamole du jour may be.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Quake Champions is not a MOBA
Id boss Tim Willits wants to clear up the confusion.

Id Software let loose with a trailer for Quake Champions at E3, in which a bunch of heavily-armed men, women, and whatever had a go at each other for reasons unknown. At least two known Quake characters—Ranger and Visor—willapparently be involved, and it will support a 120Hz refresh rate and unlocked framerates. And it is not, Studio Director Tim Willits told Rocket Beans TV, a MOBA.

“There have been some questions, when people saw the Quake Champions trailer, they're like, “Oh my god, is it a MOBA?” Willits said. “No. It's not a MOBA.It's not a MOBA.”

“What we're making is a competitive, arena-style, classic Quake game, with the addition of the Champions,” he continued. “We feel that the Champions are a natural evolution of not only Quake, but the genre. That's why you see a lot of character-driven games, because it doesn't change the fundamental way that you play the game, but it enhances the experience and gives you more to do.”

That characterization naturally leads to thoughts of Overwatch, but Willits said said Quake Champions was not “inspired” by Blizzard's team-based shooter, noting that id had started working on it before Overwatch came out. It will be a “gritty, mature, bloody, competitive, twitchy, high-speed game,” intended to satisfy old-timer Quakers while simultaneously attracting a new audience with a taste for competitive esports. The conventional gameplay modes will all be there, but id is also “refining” one of the team-based modes to make it more esports-focused. The aim is to make it an “inviting and natural progression” from Quake Live, with staples like “rocket jumping, strafing, air control," contained in "a modern game for today."

It will also be exclusive to the PC. “We are not planning on making a console version. We want no excuses, no limitations,” Willits said. “I love our console fans, I'm not shutting the door on consoles, but for this game we want to focus on the platform that can give us the competitive esports angle that we're striving for.”

A release date hasn't been set, but when Quake Champions does come around it will debut in closed beta and expand from there. “We will stay in beta as long as we possibly need to, to ensure it meets our expectations,” Willits said. Beta signups are not currently being taken, but you can register for updates atquake.bethesda.net. Rocket Beans' full interview with Tim Willits is below.

Quake Champions is not a MOBA but it is a MOBA.
-Fake ID

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So I haven't really been following news of id and how it's currently staffed, only that WOOD is an abomination (even tried the demo; fuck me, but some things cannot be unseen) but then I read

Id boss Tim Willits

and that clears things up for me and suddenly it all makes sense now.

Love

Cipher
Visually it's way closer to Unreal Torunament 3 than Quake 3 and it smells awfully to MOBA shit.

I never got around those brawny science fiction aesthetics but I guess with more realistic graphics nowadays it's a way out for designers to not give players too realistic characters to dismember.

Severian Silk

I've only played Quake 1 singleplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machine

Arbiter
Personally, I dont give a shit about what kind of artstyle they go for as long as gameplay is anywhere near old Quake(s), i'd be ok with ponies and teletubbies running around as long as i can frag em with railgun but lets be real, game will be popamole ala overwatch.

tormund

Arcane
If nothing else, at least it looks like general gaming public isn't swallowing this either judging by the ratings and comments.
This game will be a ghost town few months after release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom