Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Queen's Wish: The Conqueror gets a trailer, coming Fall 2019

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Queen's Wish: The Conqueror; Spiderweb Software

Last year, Jeff Vogel went to Kickstarter to fund his new BioWare-inspired retro RPG, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror. The game didn't really look any more impressive than anything he'd created before, but that didn't stop Jeff's small but dedicated fanbase from dumping almost $100k on it. Since then there have been regular monthly Kickstarter updates, and now the game is close enough to release that it's time for a trailer and Steam page. You know the drill:

You are royalty of the mighty empire of Haven! Your mother the Queen rules, while you enjoyed a life of sheltered luxury. Then, one morning, you woke up to find yourself banished to a brutal war-torn land. Your job? Prove yourself by conquering it, or don’t bother to come home.

At last, you have been given wealth, magic, soldiers, power. The Queen thinks you will submit and join the family business. You might have other ideas ...

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer is a epic, indie fantasy role-playing adventure. Wander free through an enormous world, sink into a fascinating story full of surprises and interesting decisions, and use your cunning to outwit a multitude of dungeons and foes. In this open-ended adventure, you can build an Empire or free the oppressed. Serve the Queen or rebel. Fight or use diplomacy. Build fortresses, smith enchanted blades and armor, and deal with nagging relatives!

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer features:

• Epic fantasy adventure with over 50 hours of gameplay.
    • Open-ended story in a variety of mysterious lands, featuring many choices, paths and endings. Lots of replay value.
    • Suspenseful tactical combat. Select from fifty different abilities. Build and rebuild your warriors to face rapidly changing foes.
    • Explore (and conquer) an enormous outdoors and a huge variety of dungeons and enemy fortresses.
    • Gain strength with a unique fortress system. Build and equip fortresses, making your warriors stronger in a wide variety of ways.
    • Not just orcs and elves. Features the unforgettable races and characters that make Spiderweb Software adventures unique.
    • Over 100 side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts to hunt for.
    Enjoy a new adventure from Spiderweb Software, now celebrating 25 years of making fine indie fantasy role-playing goodness.
    Queen's Wish is due out sometime this fall, which is a bit later than the May release date declared in the Kickstarter campaign, but that's expected. Mockery of graphics aside, the concept seems promising enough. Hopefully Jeff will find the right balance of Dragon Age and Avernum with this one.

• Brofist x 8
    • hopw roewur ne x 6
    • decline x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • what? x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    Good to see Jeff has finally made the leap to using a 3D engine.

• Funny x 13
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Weird image to advertise your game with. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AdolfSatan Learned

AdolfSatan
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 15
    • hopw roewur ne x 9
    • nice x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Jeff Vogel has been steadily declining since his Exile Days.

Exile was ugly, but incline.
    old Avernum was quite a bit popamolized but still enjoyable.
    Avadon went full retard aping aspects of Bioware with an abomination of an engine for a cRPG.
    nu Avernum continued using the same dumbed down engine.
    And this Queen's wish continues using this Avadon/nu Avernum engine.

Only exception to the above is Geneforge. Good luck getting such incline from him ever again.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. slowtard Novice

slowtard
    There are a lot of old ladies named Joanne. That's realistic.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Aemar Learned

Aemar
    I guess getting those extra 70k actually hindered Vogel's plans. He was only hoping to get 30k in order to keep to a minimum the amount of new assets he has to create from scratch for this game. Now he has to go beyond the usual copy/pasting - more money, more work to do.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Dear god this shit is ugly. I wanted to say that there is hope that at least the combat would be good, but in each new game he simplifies the combat even more. Then there would be the hope that the story and C&C would be good, but the situation is the same as the previous problem.

:negative:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. mfkndggrfll Learned Shitposter Bethestard

mfkndggrfll
    I think it's time to stop supporting Jeff, he is becoming more of a parasite in the industry than anything else. This shit is a massive decline from his previous games which were lesser decline from the previous ones. He re-recycles the same old map style in a brand new IP with 100k$ of kickstarter funds, how fucking cheap is that? The art style becomes flat compared to the previous isometric art, more decline.

The game is also blatantly trying to cash in on the success of Pathfinder Kingmaker by copying the game's name, the name's art style and gimmicky fortress system.

He also admits that he chose a crappy art style just so he could easily turn it into a mobile port, seriously fuck Jeff.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm pretty sure the influence here is Dragon Age: Inquisition.

• Despair x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mfkndggrfll Learned Shitposter Bethestard

mfkndggrfll
    There is absolutely no common ground with DAI

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Ouch, just watched the trailer... as many here know graphics are one of my least concerns when I game but this... this even makes me appreciate the look of Pierre Begue's game*! :deadtroll:

Show Spoiler
    I'm actually really looking forward to KotC2!!

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    I will prob pirate it again, like i did the others.

• PIRACY IS WRONG x 7
    • Salute x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    I dunno but visuals look fine to me. I like the clean, crisp look instead of something with layers of after effects like in xulima. It's the tryhard humor (mom has a job for you) that's turning me off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. jungl Learned

jungl
    The funny thing is I bet his fortress development will be more entertaining and impactful on gameplay then pillars fortress and pathfinders kingdom building.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Bioware inspired? Way to aim high there, Jeff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Murk Arcane

Murk
    This is solid gold.

• Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    I don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna buy this game upon release.

• Participation Award x 7
    • Friendly x 3
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looking forward to the Official Codex Review. I won't be touching this with a barge pole. If Vogel actually showed any ambition at all I'd be all over it, but this could be a carbon copy of any of his recent rehashes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    Lol at the gfx critics. You are retards par excellence. On one hand you laud the bygone age of exile which had topdown squares, on the other you condemn him for returning to said topdown view.
    Gfx are the least of Vogels newer game's problems. Uninteresting character development is.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    You mean, like what it was in his last games?

He had reached a perfectly acceptable level for the visuals of the games in Avadon (I'm not talking about the gameplay here). And then he simply made a horrible downgrade in the next game. It doesn't make any sense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 19
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    Stylistically I don't see that much of a difference tbh. Palette is similarly toned down, human sprites same, it's just the environments changed from semi-realistic/rendered look to a more... drawn look I guess. And the change to topdown, but it's not that big of deal since the view is still angled. The animations do seem to be worse though. Overall it still looks like his recent games to me, so IDK, not enough of a difference to call it horrible.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    That's the weird thing, though: Yes, it looks mostly the same, with a slight change of perspective. So... where did the money go?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 5
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Looks don't matter. Unfortunately the game itself looks to be simplified tripe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)