Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Queen's Wish: The Conqueror gets trailer and Steam page, coming Fall 2019

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Did he even mention why he made it a kickstarter? Considering he has been making games for years without the need for that, why did he judge that this project required a kickstart?

My wild guess would be money...

I know that but what excuse did he use to ask for money?
Pretty sure he said it was largely to cover the cost of new art assets for the new setting in the original pitch.

Which leads onto another question; will Jeff be asking for more KS money for a Geneforge remake or will the... "classic" assets be returning for the "remake"?

This brings back the question: why the fuck did he reuse the same old minimap if the point of the kickstart was to pay for assets? Is anyone ever going to hold him accountable for that?

Also the tiers are a real joke, from 75k to 100k the game gets professional souind design. Since when does it cost 25k to have sound design on an indie game? It should cost 5k at most and even that is a lot. The first tier at 50k$ is an iPhone port which was already in his plans so this is looking even more like a cash grab.

Morkar Left

Did he even mention why he made it a kickstarter? Considering he has been making games for years without the need for that, why did he judge that this project required a kickstart?

My wild guess would be money...

I know that but what excuse did he use to ask for money?
Pretty sure he said it was largely to cover the cost of new art assets for the new setting in the original pitch.

Which leads onto another question; will Jeff be asking for more KS money for a Geneforge remake or will the... "classic" assets be returning for the "remake"?

This brings back the question: why the fuck did he reuse the same old minimap if the point of the kickstart was to pay for assets? Is anyone ever going to hold him accountable for that?

Also the tiers are a real joke, from 75k to 100k the game gets professional souind design. Since when does it cost 25k to have sound design on an indie game? It should cost 5k at most and even that is a lot. The first tier at 50k$ is an iPhone port which was already in his plans so this is looking even more like a cash grab.

Are you pretending that you learn for the first time that kickstarter stretchgoals are completely pulled out of the ass and have nothing to do with actual costs for additional content???

Deleted Member 22431

We're not talking about a plumber here (no disrespect for plumbers, great guys and here they make a shitton of money). We're talking about a guy who supposedly does a "creative" job.

You guys are full of it. You are judging him by such absurd standards that he is not allowed anything, really. Giving him a break. What does he meant by Bioware influence? Fucking C&C. How many of the recent cRPGs have this stuff? All of them. Stronghold mechanics? Underrail has this, PoE has this, a bunch of games have this. Stop talking as if were the worst concept in existence. It isn't. You want to pat yourselves in the back by acting like you are experts in the work of an obscure developer in decline. That's all that is to it. Will of power and hypocrise. If an unknown developer promised something similar you would buy it on the spot.

Dayyālu

Arcane
You guys are full of it. You are judging him by such absurd standards that he is not allowed anything, really.

I am judging him by the previous standards of C&C and faction writing (Geneforge) fun old-style combat-heavy RPGs (Exile&Avernum) and setting originality (Nethergate).

Not a single one of his games in the last.... 7-8 years have improved, they have considerably worsened. I like and love weirdo indies. I can ignore clunky interfaces, simple graphics, simple plotlines and the like, when there's good will and something behind it. The will to make a fun game. The will of making something others will enjoy. A spark of creativity. Effort.

Vogel nowadays is The Asylum of low-budget RPGs, a late-era Orson Welles without the art, the skills or the tragedy: it's there because it's the only way he knows to make money, and he will take the least risks and least effort to do it. And he'll be a utter condescending twat. But again, he apparently doesn't care about his customers, so why should you?

Enough. It's not like I'm going to even bother pirating this.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
@Mokar Well I was aware that goals in general were BS but I didn't think a single dev team to follow in that trend. Considering that he is accountable for everything by being alone.

What would Jeff answer if we asked him about the goals? Would he reply the same thing you did?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Eh, I think most of us here agree with the consensus of Vogel's :decline: and I don't think many people here backed his KS, so I don't really know what you're trying to suggest the course of action past not patronizing his games should be - it's not like we can drain more money out of his wallet by pirating the games since it's not a lost sale if you were never going to buy it.

corvax

Augur
That's one of the most astute observations I've ever seen Jeff make and he's spot on tbh. Probably the part of his talk that stuck with me since I first watched it. Heck, ask any number of ex-BioWare fans who've found their way to the Codex.

Edit: The "cutting it out" and ignoring negative feedback part is bad & short-sighted though.

There's some good and bad in that talk, a reflection of his games. I do find large portions of his talk make him appear unlikeable, perhaps its his staunch commitment to racing to the bottom. Not sure.
That's pretty much spot on. Although it seems like the actual Kickstarter pitch promised changes as opposed to take away something his fans liked. I'm sure others didn't expect the changes to be such a step back. This thing looks like a mobile game. I'll play the damn game because the story is probably good, despite the awful trailer but I don't think I will support his future games should they be Kickstarted. I'll wait for a sale.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't care about the graffics if there was an actually new mechanic/way of writing story that was involved in the gameplay at all

Not sure how I feel about Jeffs new styling in the Avernum 7 KickStarter...

latest

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's the weird thing, though: Yes, it looks mostly the same, with a slight change of perspective. So... where did the money go?

Increasingly I suspect the Kickstarter funds weren't meant to be some extra investment to make his next game notably better, but a replacement for revenue his previous games failed to earn.

Which raises the question what happens when this game is released with 2000+ of his most hardcore fans already owning it.

Opening scene "Mom has a job for you" just lol

A lot of people probably find that cute in a Chrono Trigger JRPG opening kind of way.

Problem with that is that Vogel is selling better than ever, not worse.

I mean, even if you assume Avadon 3 averaged $3 per copy he still sold $100,000 worth on Steam alone.

visuals are fine its a different aesthetic similiar to board game instead of fallout isometric look.

Agreed. The board game, low-animation approach is aesthetically valid and far more practical for one-man+ indie teams that don't have animation departments. Using low graphics 3D models as substitutes for the old pixelated/hand drawn is one of the things that plagues most modern JRPGs, especially the remakes.

I also think that it is a good fit for turn-based games in general because animation intensive graphics slow down the turns -- it is basically a requirement of being retro, where the execution of turns was almost instantaneous.

Last edited:

Yarddog

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
No sale, Mr. Jeff Vogel. I will use the ten U.S. dollars that I would have spent on your game and transport my body to the nearest McDonald's and gladly purchase a number one combo meal, thick vanilla shake, and whatever other crap I can squeeze out of ten bucks. I will then spend fifteen minutes consuming said meal. Ten U.S. dollars for fifteen minutes of nutrition and enjoyment. I'm lovin' it.

No, not really. Ten dollars paid for 80 hours of grind-fun-read in Avadon: TBF. I'll support the guy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some of the assets are actually from the RPG Maker assets.

I don't believe it's allowed to plug those into a non-RPG Maker engine game even with credit. Legal troubles for Jeff in the future?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some of the assets are actually from the RPG Maker assets.

I don't believe it's allowed to plug those into a non-RPG Maker engine game even with credit. Legal troubles for Jeff in the future?
It is not allowed. Although to be fair, I've only noticed those assets in the Kickstarter trailer, I wasn't able to find any of them in this new trailer. Maybe they were just placeholders.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I don't see what the selling point of this is supposed to be. Jeff's strength is imaginative settings, it's why Exile/Avernum and and Geneforge were modestly successful and Avadon really wasn't. If he's just making another BSB generic fantasy then his game doesn't really have anything to offer over others.

Morkar Left

I guess he made already enough money and/or has another main job and is just trolling everyone by now.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't see what the selling point of this is supposed to be. Jeff's strength is imaginative settings, it's why Exile/Avernum and and Geneforge were modestly successful and Avadon really wasn't. If he's just making another BSB generic fantasy then his game doesn't really have anything to offer over others.

Jeff's strength WAS. That time is gone. Now he idolizes Bioware and tries to take as few risks as possible. He doesn't want to make another Nethergate.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

The only selling point is that it is made by a famous RPG dev. Jeff is using his own name/rep as a crutch.

amurath

Educated

Aemar

Arcane
Man that looks like it was made in a RPG Maker engine and then additionally uglified
You could be right about RPG Maker, for a moment I thought it was ASP Erger, an overly simplified engine a lot of indie rookies seem to be using nowadays.
I wouldn't be surprised if he started adding microtransactions with new portrait packs or exclusive preorder items next.
I wouldn't be surprised if he'll manage to make some good money out of it, if your prediction turns out to be true. Kickstarter has proven he still has quite a following.

Last edited:

hexer

You could be right about RPG Maker, for a moment I thought it was ASP Erger, an overly simplified engine a lot of indy rookies seem to be using nowadays.

Smart people are often misunderstood, it's their cross to bear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom