Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Man oh man. Is it 2019? Spiderweb never disappoints.

I probably could've done without watching the Kickstarter video, though . Hearing him actually speak crushed my image of him sounding like what Redbeard would sound like (gruff and intimidating)

Terra

Cipher
Our old/tired friend Jeff's been working so hard on his new engine he's forgotten what year it is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror/posts/2262641

Queen's Wish August 2017 Update!

Here is the first monthly update for Queen’s Wish development! We’ve been hard at work on the new game, and it is moving along.

Spiderweb games are developed in three phases. First, we work on the game engine and system. This takes 3-5 months, depending on how much of the game is new. In Queen’s Wish, almost everything is new.

Then we write the game world, which is about six months. Then 2-3 months of porting to Windows and testing. Then we ship! (And then move on to the ports to mobile.)

What We Did Last Month

We are still grinding our way through the first phase: the main engine.

On the technical side, we spent a while porting our code to a new, powerful game engine called SDL. In this case, the engine is the layer between my game and the computer itself. The game engine we used before was way out of date. This engine is completely current and should support lots of cool stuff, like 64-bit Windows and mouse wheel input.

Then we worked on making the game playable. This involves a million things. Training window. Inventory window. Fully fleshed out combat code. We are trying to get a basically playable game, so that I can see how much of the stuff I’ve been assembling in my brain for the last two years actually works.

Finally, I scripted the statistics for all of the creatures, abilities, and items. This is tons of painstaking work and takes forever, but the game is now full of critters to fight and treasures to look for.

Rewards

We have sent out messages to the design assistants, and we’re getting some great stuff back from them. There are some terrific ideas in there, and I’m really excited.

If you got a signed, singed Certificate of Absolution, watch out for the survey asking for your name, address, and other info. We’ll be sending it out soon.

What Is Next

The game isn’t fully playable in a near-final sense yet, but it’s getting there. By the time the next update is out, we should be able to have full combats, and a lot of the world system stuff (like dressing up your fort, mining resources, and wandering the outdoors) should be in.

It’s a good start, but we have a long way to go. It can be demoralizing when I sit down in the morning and look at the To Do list. Then I pick the quickest job to do, do that, and move on to the next job. We’ll get there eventually.

And that’s where we’re at. See you next month!

- Jeff Vogel

Zeriel

Arcane
No, I believe in it myself, I'm just used to people pushing back against it. Its just funny to see him acting this way.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man oh man. Is it 2019? Spiderweb never disappoints.

I probably could've done without watching the Kickstarter video, though . Hearing him actually speak crushed my image of him sounding like what Redbeard would sound like (gruff and intimidating)
i thought redbeard was a,self insert forreal

getter77

Augur
...I presume he just didn't specify and means SDL2---which is rather overhauled compared to the original. Still, better late than never.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to know if he'll ever implement some sort of broad modding or otherwise license the general game system that he's created and support other devs. I like spiderweb game mechanics so it would be nice to see what other people can do with the general system he's created.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I want to know if he'll ever implement some sort of broad modding or otherwise license the general game system that he's created and support other devs. I like spiderweb game mechanics so it would be nice to see what other people can do with the general system he's created.

He didn't seem happy with the way his Blades spinoffs went, largely because the "work" he does on making new games is just equivelant to making a mod, so providing the ability for end-users to do that for free cannibalizes his customer base. I guess what I'm saying is: not likely.

almondblight

Arcane
nuCodex: "Vogel needs to use a new engine."

nuCodex: "I hate how everyone is using Unity, people should write their own engines."

Vogel: "I'm going to be using a new engine, and instead of Unity I'm going to be writing it myself."

nuCodex: "Hah! Senile old fool."

ColCol

Arcane
In before game fails to due to Jeff not being able to deal with the pressure.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He didn't seem happy with the way his Blades spinoffs went, largely because the "work" he does on making new games is just equivelant to making a mod, so providing the ability for end-users to do that for free cannibalizes his customer base. I guess what I'm saying is: not likely.

I wasn't necessarily thinking he'd do it for free; I was hoping he'd license it out or work with others in some capacity. I'd be interested and there has to be other people who want to use his work.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

nuCodex: "I hate how everyone is using Unity, people should write their own engines."

Vogel: "I'm going to be using a new engine, and instead of Unity I'm going to be writing it myself."

Posters A, B and C: "X is shit"

Posters D, E and F: "Y is shit"

Tryhard Dumbfuck: "Ha! Codex thinks X AND Y is shit. Look how unique and against the grain I am. Now please shower me with attention!"

Ranarama

Learned

First off, if a developer is using Unity, I doubt their game would do that well if they wrote their own engine. Most Unity games certainly deserve their reputation - but how many of those games would be created without it? Unity isn't ruining games that would otherwise be brilliant, it's allowing the creation of more games, albeit, many of dubious quality. Instead of those games being vapourware as a would-be developer learns the task of building their own engine is more ambitious than they first realised.

Sometimes though, trash is enjoyable.

Secondly, my comment was not that Vogel was senile for making a new engine. Merely that it was a notable decision coming from someone who has made the same games again and again...

Though he may be senile for calling SDL an engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror/posts/2263328

Queen's Wish September 2018 Update!

Here is the second monthly update for Queen’s Wish development! It’s been a productive month, and the game is taking shape more and more.

As the game takes shape, one thing is becoming clear: This game will be unique. It is not your standard RPG fare. Far from it. Will you love it? I hope so. But I really think it will be something that feels different.

Right now, work on the game is split into thirds: Engine, Data, and Content.

Data

We have finished scripting all most of the data for the creatures, items, and abilities. This is a huge chunk of work, since it also involves graphics effects and lots of engine changes. Sound effects won’t go in for a while. Some abilities will also be added for the benefit of backers who purchased the Design an Item reward.

Content

We are working on the first two towns in the game. These are the spine of the game. The dialogue here is the framework for the entire storyline. The quests here form a large portion of your activities. This is also where the tutorial is. We want Queen’s Wish to be more tightly written and less wordy than our earlier games, but still, many thousands of words need to be produced.

We’ve gotten a great start on this, but it will be another week or two to produce all the quality dialogue requires.

By doing things like adding shopkeepers and artisans to towns, we are able to continue work on the …

Engine

To get Queen’s Wish ready for the Kickstarter, we came up with rough, basic versions of all of the game features (abilities, buying buildings, etc). Now we have to go back and actually finish them. The building system is now complete and ready to go. So is combat, spell casting, training, the quick use buttons, all of that stuff.

In the Next Month

We will put another week into the starting dialogue, town, and shopkeepers. Once we have shopkeepers, we can code shopping and crafting. We are also putting in new fonts and graphics and updating all of the interface we passed by before. By the end of this month, the bulk of the engine should be ready and waiting for the longest phase: Main content development.

Reward Update

We’ve sent out two emails to people who are able to contribute design to the game. Be sure to look for them. Now is the time to start thinking about what you might want to add.

We are working on the Certificates of Absolution. and we hope to send them out in the next couple of months.

And that’s where we’re at. See you next month!

- Jeff Vogel

PS We're still a ways from final screenshots, but here are a few portraits to whet your appetite. Ben Resnick is doing a great job for us, as always.

06c40d7b7a17b4e97e4d892b6bc07192_original.png

Sage Harlan, a reliable source of information.
8448e7297933db39889b8f42b4f7b760_original.png

Your loyal butler, Stonehouse.
4487d897765382b6ddd62af0f551cc21_original.png

Chief Miranda, your guide and advisor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom