Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Mortmal

Arcane
Part of the reason my Avernum playthrough takes forever even though I really enjoy the game is that I stupidly chose a higher difficulty, which doesn't make the game more interesting at all. Combat is serviceable but relatively bland and the higher difficulty adds little to change that. I am still going through the same motions and using the same abilities all the time. Its not like a challenge makes me try completely different tactics or anything, since the systems just don't support diverse approaches. So the only difference is that I progress much more slowly and very often I have to stop halfway through a dungeon to return at a later date. If you have to do that several times, it can get annoying and also simply confusing in such a large game world (wait, have I already been there?).
Are you sure the system doesn't support diverse approaches? In my recent Avernum 1 playthrough (not Exile, and not A:EFTP, the one in between) on Torment difficulty, I spammed high level summons through every single lategame fight, and one of my characters was fairly useless in fights and just used wands because he had all the utility skills. Therefore if YOU haven't been summon-spamming, the game does support multiple approaches. Of course you do absolutely need mass haste, mass heal, and some beefcake with a sword, but a lot of my damage was coming from summons. I could probably do a playthrough where I had two or three mages instead of one, or focused on fireblast/lightning instead of summons.
You wont do that anymore, you have to complete the dungeon in one row , so you spare energy for final fight and most often use the base attack more than anything else. Summons cost too much, you can only have one at a time, and they are super weak....The only different approach are either you auto attack dealing physical damage or will you auto attack dealing magic damage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i doubt that i will care for any of his upcoming games.
sadily this. it's just a few pages ago i said i am his lifelong customer, but it seems that he made me lost faith with this.
Sadly,this is life. Sooner or later all devs decide to take the path of dumbing down and shit eating,they all end up dead in due time. I too was very hopeful for this game and hyped to loose 80 hours exploring a new world,but it ended up as some mobile garbage. If this is his path,well he will walk it without my money,i still have his older games to replay once in a while.

passerby

Arcane
I think having to do a dungeon in one go is an excellent idea, I always wanted games to enforce this and design encounters accordingly.

What is retarded is unlimited respec and designing dungeons with a tailor made party after respec in mind. Makes both character builds and dangeons themselves trivial.
You should be able to overcome unusual difficulties with some rare and expensive consumables, instead of respecing.

Unless dungeons are beatable without respec, regardles of difficulty and people that complain should learn to play ? Which is it ?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's as if the additional PCs are just labels for the henchmen the main char recruits each time he or she sets out on a new tasks. No continuity of identity is assumed :)

thesecret1

Arcane
Holy fuck, jokes aside, Queen's Wish is essentially a RPGmaker game.
Fuck, you're right. It really is like somebody made a game engine that's essentially an RPGmaker clone. The only significant difference between the two is that Queen's Wish has a super simple TB combat instead of JRPG menu one, and that RPGmaker tends to have better graphics, music and scripting. No, wait, the main difference is that RPGmaker characters have actual stats and more types of loot (which, given how simple RPGmaker items are, is really sad).

I can't believe the guy who made Geneforge ended up being outclassed by fucking RPGmaker.

mondblut

Arcane
What's with developers who want to prohibit grinding? Let the people play the games how they want to and reward them for very agressive, non-grinding play, instead of limiting their playstyle choices

They are butthurt that player would ruthlessly break their treasured systems and balance meticously tailored to very specific power range. You should only play muh game the way I envisioned it, you entitled white male gamer asshole!

Mortmal

Arcane
Holy fuck, jokes aside, Queen's Wish is essentially a RPGmaker game.
Fuck, you're right. It really is like somebody made a game engine that's essentially an RPGmaker clone. The only significant difference between the two is that Queen's Wish has a super simple TB combat instead of JRPG menu one, and that RPGmaker tends to have better graphics, music and scripting. No, wait, the main difference is that RPGmaker characters have actual stats and more types of loot (which, given how simple RPGmaker items are, is really sad).

I can't believe the guy who made Geneforge ended up being outclassed by fucking RPGmaker.
It's still a bit better than that you can customize gear ,stack some runes and modify stats, and unless i am wrong rpg maker turn based combat doesn't allow combat on tiles. Despite neutering character creation combat is more tactical than any rpg maker game i've seen.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what exactly does a 'bonus to healing' do? Improve the performed healing, or increase the number of hps received if the char is the recipient? The game doesn't explain this and I see no way of checking

It improve healing done. You can check the effect of stats in the skill screen, you have to select the magic or support tab to see them.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Queen's Wish has a super simple TB combat instead of JRPG menu one
For each RPG Maker iteration, there seems to be an increasing number of easy-to-use tactical combat scripts being made, like this one:
https://ryanbram.itch.io/srpg-engine-demo
It's still a bit better than that you can customize gear ,stack some runes and modify stats, and unless i am wrong rpg maker turn based combat doesn't allow combat on tiles.
In addition to the combat style above, there's also some script that I've seen in two or three games (don't remember the names; haven't played anything RPGM in quite a while) with, if I recall correctly, 10x5 grid combat where both you and your opponents can move inside own half, and attacks and skills have different attack ranges and areas of effect. And for RPGMaker XP already there was some script showcase game with full party creation and various forms of customization (crafting equipment with different effects and bonuses depending on materials used, letting the player decide what stats and skills get on levelup, etc.). If these are underused it's because most of western RPG Maker devs either are artists that focus on telling their unique amazing stories with pretty graphics, or genuinely prefer the default combat.

In other words, it probably wouldn't be hard to actually recreate the game in RPG Maker? The only lack of evolution all this time is in dialogues, I think, so that would have to be made from scratch. Everyone seems to love their linear two-lines-long dialogue boxes with no way to direct the flow of the conversation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
unless i am wrong rpg maker turn based combat doesn't allow combat on tiles

You can do it with scripts, but it's not something supported out of the box. Someone like Jeff could implement it no problem.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
unless i am wrong rpg maker turn based combat doesn't allow combat on tiles

You can do it with scripts, but it's not something supported out of the box. Someone like Jeff could implement it no problem.

But Jeff is old and Jeff is tired and has been making this for 25 year... Even then I think he would prefer to continue working with what he's familiar with.

Also, does someone has found how to solve the murder accusation?

In you first fort, after some time has passed, Miranda presents you a case of a man accused of murder. The accused of course says he's innocent, according to him the dead man was drunk and drowned. You can say that you'll go collect some evidence, but I haven't found anything.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've played it a bit. Some random impressions:

1. It's not as dumbed down as it first seems. The skills are about as varied as any of the new Avernums/Avadons, they are just organized differently, so they look simpler than they are. There are no stats, but Spiderweb games have always just been "Put points in STR if fighter, INT if mage, Dex if archer," so it's not like we are missing a huge amount of depth by not having that. I kind of like shunting all of that off to armor, as the potential power ups for armor are more varied.

2. I love the dungeons. The monsters respawn until you kill the boss, which forces you to play the whole dungeon in one go. That's a really great idea that forces you to strategize a bit more than you otherwise might have, conserving energy and potions.

3. That said, even on Torment, the game is absurdly easy. Maybe I'm just too good at Spiderweb games, but I'm like 1/3 of the way through and I think my party has been wiped once.

4. I kind of like the ability to redo stats on the fly, although I do think it trivializes character builds, so that's more of a wash.

5. Story's OK. I like the tone, in that there's a lot of humor and you can play the lead as a spoiled brat if you want.

6. The city building stuff seems way to simplistic so far. There's little strategy to it, so as a mechanic, it seems like it's more just an artificial way to lock off high level weapons and armor until end game. Which is fine, I guess, but in effects, it's not different than just hiding higher level weapons in dungeons or late game shops the way that SW always has. The shop building mechanic doesn't add much to the gameplay.

7. I dislike the experience system, mainly just because it's so opaque and artificial. You basically only get exp by completing main quests, which seems kind of empty, as basically everyone will be the same level as long as they progress through the game.

Overall, I'd say it's a solid 3/5 game. I like it slightly better than the Avadons. If the combat were better, I'd like it equal to the Avernums, but the combat is just too easy so far. We'll see if it gets better.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Have you tried disabling/setting to minimum everything in the preferences menu? In his old games you could disable sounds to make everything much faster because he's never learnt to code it to be separate from the game flow, and reportedly now there's some graphics quality slider too (maybe it disables some animations).

Try replacing SDL2.dll in the game's directory with a newer version downloaded here:

https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php

The game wouldn't run at all for me until I did that.

Deleted Member 16721

Search 'The Red Hand of Doom' for a look at a nice D&D tactical RPG made with RPGMaker.

thesecret1

Arcane
Someone like Jeff could implement it no problem.
He probably could and he'd probably take less time to make the same game with it. But reading "RPGmaker" anywhere near his kickstarter pitch would kill the hype then and there, so that's a deal breaker.

Dayyālu

Arcane
2. I love the dungeons. The monsters respawn until you kill the boss, which forces you to play the whole dungeon in one go. That's a really great idea that forces you to strategize a bit more than you otherwise might have, conserving energy and potions.

Do they improve later? Serious question. Bar the RPGMakerish "only killing the Boss matters", I've found that they mostly remind me of Oblivion: there's nothing interesting found in exploring (more trash combat, disposable resources that your forts produce by themselves anyway) and they are essentially a circle with a lever that gets you back to the beginning.

Despite Vogel's previous blogposting that "a game should give his best right at the beginning", there's more variety than this?

More I play this, more I am convinced that it's a valiant if misguided effort. It must have been years since Vogel played any non-Bioware non-AAA Rpg, so he must be convinced that's he's threading new ground instead of clumsily re-doing stuff others have done, even if I admit that the hardcore respec thing is novel (done out of extreme laziness in balancing already easy content, but it's at least novel, credit where credit is due).

If this was the first game developed by teen, I'd seriously consider it a great effort: the writing is childish but it has a tad of humour, the map is overly simplified but it does the job, the mechanics are simple but, hell, they somehow works.... it just doesn't feel like the work of someone who mastered the genre.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Search 'The Red Hand of Doom' for a look at a nice D&D tactical RPG made with RPGMaker.
As impressive as this appears, I'm not surprised it was abandoned years ago considering the overambition, and the unauthorized use of Pillars of Eternity assets immediately puts me off.

Mortmal

Arcane
3. That said, even on Torment, the game is absurdly easy. Maybe I'm just too good at Spiderweb games, but I'm like 1/3 of the way through and I think my party has been wiped once.
Vogel has confirmed on steam forums that level scaling is in, so it's not surprising the game is easy.
You need to play it at veteran level minimum, still i never failed even once.

so anyone experiencing weird stuttering? like everything seem to pause for 1-2 seconds weirdly. another one of jeff's 25 years of experience in action?
Yes (in combat).
Same freeze for a few secs sometimes, that's the new engine being too demanding for our 64bit os.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom