Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Quest for Glory-like Mage's Initiation releasing on January 30th

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
My impression was that Primordia's coder was brought in as a "closer" to get the combat working a couple years ago, and from then on it's just been dealing with VO, this crazy lip syncing, and polish.

V_K

Arcane
and from then on it's just been dealing with VO, this crazy lip syncing
And all this time was thoroughly wasted. I'm playing the preview build, courtesy of Infinitron, and the voice acting in this one is a choice. With consequences.

If that's the game's only or main flaw then I'm happy!
Very far from it unfortunately. RPG elements are extemely shallow - all you get are 4 stats, and they only matter for combat. No skillcheck-reliant puzzles, but there are some (I encountered two so far) where you have to use non-combat spells, which are determined by your class. Will have to check how it'll work for other classes.
A lot of puzzles in the beginning also were very easy, felt more like fetch quests. But right now I'm stuck on one, which brings some hope. Hope it's not a bug.
Not sold on writing either. It's way too drawn out and expositiony. Although there were a couple of genuinely funny jokes. Let's see how it goes.

V_K

Arcane
A lot of puzzles in the beginning also were very easy, felt more like fetch quests. But right now I'm stuck on one, which brings some hope. Hope it's not a bug.
Nevermind, definitely a bug. The obvious thing wasn't working, and then out of the blue it did.
Finished the preview part. If it represents 1/3 of the game, as it says in the beginning, it won't be a long game - took me maybe 3 hours (except for aimless wondering due to the above).
My general impression is much more "Uanvowed with (actiony) combat" than "Quest for Glory". Hi-res graphics kinda adds to the impression, but it's not the main similarity. Your class choice has some effect on how the puzzles play out, but extremely minor - much like the choice of companions does in Unavowed. Only unlike Unavowed, you're stuck with your class for the whole game. I've encountered 4 puzzles - or more exactly interactions, as they were all pretty obvious - that required you to cast non-combat spells (or more exactly spell, as at the beginning you only get one). Of them, I'm pretty sure two will play out the same for any class, and two played out somewhat differently for fire and water mages. Oh, and the rate at which you acquire spells seems to be tied to plot rather than character development, so not much RPG here either. Another similarity to Unavowed are the two plot choices I was given with the promise of consequences - which, I assume, will all play out in the last act. Let's see how important they turn out to be.
Combat turned out to be actually a lot less annoying than I assumed from the videos. It does involve a lot of kiting, but at least it's possible to pause it to catch a breath. On the other hand, the frequency of random battles annoyed the hell out of me. I was trying to map the forest area, and on average had to fight two battles per square while drawing the map. Combat is advertised as optional, but I found it to be much faster to switch to easy difficulty and fight it through than run from battles and wait for the interface to change. Also, I don't think you can avoid the one boss battle I had in this build - which surprisingly, seemed easier than the random encounters (maybe precisely because it was unavoidable). But since I've put the difficulty to easy anyway, don't quote me on that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, and the rate at which you acquire spells seems to be tied to plot rather than character development

They say as much in the description, right?

Not being a proper Quest for Glory-like will be a disappointment for many I'm sure. Personally though, as a fan of this team's take on King's Quest II, I'm also interested in the game as a pure story-driven adventure.

V_K

Arcane
They say as much in the description, right?
I missed that.
Though to be completely honest, it doesn't make much of a difference since you mostly only get exp for solving puzzles, so in a sense character development is also tied to the plot. Enemies only give you exp the first time you fight them.
as a fan of this team's take on King's Quest II, I'm also interested in the game as a pure story-driven adventure.
I think the KQ crowd might be disappointed by the lack of non-combat deaths.

Curratum

Holy crap, I've been waiting for this one for like 5 years! Get pumped! <3

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wow, and only 4 years late.
This is the oldest game I've backed which is actually getting released. Not sure I want it nowadays, duh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom