Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

race popularity

your favourite PC race

• human

• elf

• dwarf

• ugly humanoid (orc, half orc, ogre, stronger and bigger humanoids go in here)

• midget (halfling, gnome, fairy, anything that can run between legs of human oponent)

• furry (furry and scales bucket. Check this if you want to be a dragon )

Results are only viewable after voting.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It all started as shoutbox argument whether elves were ever popular(as PC race pick) or not.

Then it turned interesting when actually trying to find any data. Lutte brought interesting citation: dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Origins

According to BioWare telemetry, 80% of players chose Human origins, 15% - Elven origins (with the Elven Mage being the most popular) and 5% - Dwarven origins. This accounts for all registered playthroughs ever started, but not for playthroughs on unconnected consoles.[10]

Its interesting as its 'official' and from rpg that featured all 3 main races.

Recent example, with popular title featuring all 3 main races is DOS2. Surprisingly I didnt find any data on this subject and im sure it exists with all the telemetry larian collects. They problaby even know which race is more likely to finish the game. Is there any known larian handle on this forum?

Chris Avellone if you would bother i assume you have something.

some random reddit poll on skyrim with 4k+ votes: https://strawpoll.com/a99f46y

deama

Prophet
I like playing elves if the game does something neat with them, like in arcanum (somewhat).
Though I suppose this can be said for all the races? Anyway, did you look at any stats from world of warcraft?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Can't say I've ever played as an elf, but then elves rarely go up front & in party-based games I usually have one where their stats associate with a class, usually back row area. I quite like Half-Elves tho as they're usually one of the rare classes that has bonuses without any drawbacks.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So why do people play exclusively as white male in DA, but as anything in wow? I'm genuinely surprised.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
problem with mmos is that they are min/max stat focused while im after rp thing

that being said i quickly found this: https://www.statista.com/statistics/276315/distribution-of-world-of-warcraft-characters-by-race/
distribution-of-world-of-warcraft-characters-by-race.jpg

Note that blood elves are essentially the human of the horde, they exist as an alternative for people who want to play horde without playing some beastly looking race. It also follows into the idea that the most popular of elven shit tends to be the edgelordy type : drow in d&d, dunmer in TES, blood elves in WoW..

The traditional elf archetype ala tolkienn ultra faggy shit isn't particularly popular outside of a minority, probably dominated by female players.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Girls are required by law to play elf healers. If they show enough promise, they may become a ranger.

vota DC

Augur
Kobolds are usually unplayable but they are always very good. They are so cute in Die by the sword and it is rewarding when you defeat an ogre using a kobold.
Goblins because you see a mellow goblin named Drog.
Dwarves because Gimli a dwarf to build a dream on. Also I played Golden Axe before Rpg.

WoW night elves were the shit idc about anything else.

Males are the only good race in dragon age everything else felt disgusting. (Did not play inquisition thankfully)

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
Human male = Warrior/Mage
Human female = Ranger/Mage
Elderly Human = Mage
Dwarf = Warrior that can repair things
Elves = Ranger/Mage
Hobbit = Thief
Orc = Warrior with dual swords/axes
Gnome = Powder guns/Engineer/Mage

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
a more interesting poll would be asking if people believe orcish races to be standins for black ppl, and elves for whites.

PorkBarrellGuy

a more interesting poll would be asking if people believe orcish races to be standins for black ppl, and elves for whites.
I suppose it depends on the mythos in question.

Weren't Tolkien's orcs actually supposed to be Mongol Horde expys?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wow, if that data comes from World of Warcraft, it's certainly useful ... right ? :shredder:

If the game is feats oriented, the warrior has to be human, otherwise, whatever race gets a strength bonus, same for the the mages, usually elves or whatever gives them more int/ power.

Luckily, we have wizardry to give us a lot of interesting and weird options, wizardry 8 being the best at it, like playing a fairy ninja to equip a powerful weapon or a mook warrior to use the giant sword for an extended range.

Generic-Giant-Spider

There's good hope on the class popularity list.

When Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians and the like are replaced by Bards and Druids is when you know we've lost the war.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom