Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

race popularity

your favourite PC race

• human

• elf

• dwarf

• ugly humanoid (orc, half orc, ogre, stronger and bigger humanoids go in here)

• midget (halfling, gnome, fairy, anything that can run between legs of human oponent)

• furry (furry and scales bucket. Check this if you want to be a dragon )

Results are only viewable after voting.

Prime Junta

I usually pick my race based on which one has the best bonuses for the build I want to make.

(Tabletop is a different matter ofc)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I like picking best race for best martial class, which is usually fighter.

It's so awesome being effective at the actual gameplay. :)

EDIT: Only exception is if for whatever reason the best race for best martial class is a manlet race, then I pick something else. Chads only for me, or GTFO!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not surpised by the elf hatred here, it's normal for butthurt incels to hate on taller, stronger, faster, better looking and magically gifted charismatic chads, but I would've thought dwarves would rank higher since they signal even short, ugly people can be cool (and also have a nerdy tech oriented side that would appeal to the type of troglodyte that frequents an rpg forum). Instead boringass humans are ahead by a mile.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Forget elves, ain't enough rpgs out there where you can be bugs, I mean bugs might show up, but they're always end up being some crappy hive mind bad guys whenever they do. In fact, Dark Sun and Grimrock are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head where you can actually have bug party members.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Honestly, I'd be quite happy if all the effort put into having other races w accompanying stat/story differences was instead put into having different backgrounds for a human PC w accompanying stat/story differences.
except its not worth it either as shown by DAO data. Its so sad I have trouble processing those numbers.
With so many cool backgrounds, people chose most boring one and dont even check the rest!

Because it's obvious the games are designed with human character in mind, first playthrough best to pick that.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dwarves.

With GUNS.
Arcanum_dwarf_1280x1024.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
In MMOs, I would usually try to go for some of the more unusual race and class combinations. E.g., in DDO, my character was a dwarven rogue. In ESO, I had an Argonian rogue who wielded a two-handed mace (based on my search of people in-game, Argonians were a minority, unlike in the poll above). In TOR, I had a chubby twilek sniper. The reason I do is it to bring some more memorable and distinct characters to the world rather than any specific affinity with the race.

In single player, it doesn't particularly matter, nor does gender.

They would always be white humans, elves (even with dark skin), dwarves, etc., however. I'm quite allergic to established fantasy races having their features drastically changed with no justification (e.g., that they are some distinct sub-race of drow). It makes me think it was a deliberate politically motivated choice:
latest

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
BTW these are different species, not races. There is a bit difference.
Different species can't have babies, but in D&D, they all can. Same species.
Wrong. They can have babies. The babies, however, are sterile and cannot have babies of their own.

The classic example is the mule, the offspring of a horse and a donkey.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Wrong. They can have babies. The babies, however, are sterile and cannot have babies of their own.

Good idea, but in most settings, they're not sterile as far as I know. Can even mate with each other and have "true" half-elves.

Cael

Arcane

Good idea, but in most settings, they're not sterile as far as I know. Can even mate with each other and have "true" half-elves.
Just make it so that the female invariably die at childbirth in your setting. Bonus points if the PC is the female.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Just make it so that the female invariably die at childbirth in your setting. Bonus points if the PC is the female.
I don't understand what's this got to do with anything? What are you even talking about?

On an unrelated note, vampires in Fevre Dream aren't sired, but are born that way. They're a different species. And when a mother gives birth, she always dies. I remember reading it and thinking this makes zero sense, because inevitably the species would disappear, but it also would've never made it to have more than 1 representative of the species at any time, in the first place.

Cael

Arcane
I don't understand what's this got to do with anything? What are you even talking about?

On an unrelated note, vampires in Fevre Dream aren't sired, but are born that way. They're a different species. And when a mother gives birth, she always dies. I remember reading it and thinking this makes zero sense, because inevitably the species would disappear, but it also would've never made it to have more than 1 representative of the species at any time, in the first place.
If the female dies at childbirth in your setting, the number of half-breeds would inevitably be extremely rare. And there will be a lot of taboo forbidding such a thing. Half-breeds might even be viewed as abominations.

And if a female PC wants to fuck around with a different species and gets preggers and want to play "muh choice", well, time for that player to roll up a new character.

It is called "weaving a plausible reason not to allow certain races and/or mechanics to be included in your setting", an invaluable tool for a DM.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Humans> midgets (halflings, gnomes, dwarfs)> elf, half-elf (Arcanum only) > half-ogres (Arcanum only) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else.

For some games humans and midgets would be swapped in terms of preferences, depends on game ( for example in Divinity: Original Sin 2 I played as dwarf more, Pathfinder: Kingmaker - halfling was rolled more than human). But mostly I trying to play as human.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom