Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Radical Heights - Cliff Bleszinski chases the next fad...and goes bankrupt, RIP

Dexter

Arcane
Online PC Gaming feels very cyclical lately and mostly based on Streamers and Hype pushing a recent Fad:

2004-2011: MMOs (World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, LOTRO, SW: TOR)
2009-2014: MOBAs (League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, DOTA 2)
2011-2014: Sandbox Games (Minecraft and its various Clones)
2013-2016: Survival Games (DayZ, Rust, ARK, H1Z1)
2014-2018: Collectible Card Games (Hearthstone, TES: Legends, Gwent, Artifact)
2017-???: Battle Royale (PUBG, Fortnite, This Abomination)

Anyone wager to guess the next cycle?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think you can see some pattern here. Massive crazes are somehow simplified forms of previous not-that-massive crazes.

WoW-like MMOs - simplified version of previous gen MMOs
MOBAs - simplified version of RTSes
CCGs - simplified version of existing CCGs
Battle Royals - simplified version of survival games

So I guess the next massive hit will be a simplified form of something moderately popular right now (or in near future)?

:avatard:

Irata

Scholar
Grand strategy games. Crusader Kings 3 coming soon to Playstation and Xbox. PC version arriving three months later.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think you can see some pattern here. Massive crazes are somehow simplified forms of previous not-that-massive crazes.

WoW-like MMOs - simplified version of previous gen MMOs
MOBAs - simplified version of RTSes
CCGs - simplified version of existing CCGs
Battle Royals - simplified version of survival games

So I guess the next massive hit will be a simplified form of something moderately popular right now (or in near future)?

:avatard:
Simplified versions of mobile games

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So yeah, I played for 115 minutes, killed 3 enemies and probably fired less bullets than in an average round of counterstrike. I'm probably going to try again with a friend, but I have a hard time understanding the hype around this type of games.
As said, I tried again with a friend and it's... surprisingly fun. It rewards teamplay and good communication more than many other coop shooters. And it feels incredibly satisfying to lay out a trap and successfully blow up a fully equipped team while you're still stuck with a shitty white pistol. Although we agree that the anticipation of combat is actually more fun than the combat itself.
I actually recommend trying it out with a buddy over voicechat.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
He's such a fucking joke, Lawbreakers really broke him inside.
I dunno, I actually feel a little sorry for him. I mean LawBreakers was probably his ACTUAL passion project compared to Radical Heights, and all that time, money and effort went to nothing.

But then his ego and arrogance starts flapping about because he hasn't learnt when to shut the fuck up on Twitter, at which point I stop feeling sorry.

mbv123

Arbiter
aQSSPCc.jpg

Online PC Gaming feels very cyclical lately and mostly based on Streamers and Hype pushing a recent Fad:

2004-2011: MMOs (World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, LOTRO, SW: TOR)
2009-2014: MOBAs (League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, DOTA 2)
2011-2014: Sandbox Games (Minecraft and its various Clones)
2013-2016: Survival Games (DayZ, Rust, ARK, H1Z1)
2014-2018: Collectible Card Games (Hearthstone, TES: Legends, Gwent, Artifact)
2017-???: Battle Royale (PUBG, Fortnite, This Abomination)

Anyone wager to guess the next cycle?

It'll probably be stuff like Warframe and GTA Online. First or third person shooters/arena fighters where from your hub area or hub world you're able to select different gameplay types like Battle Royale, horde mode, tower defense, monster hunting, giant battlefield style team death matches, RE Mercenaries mode, dungeon crawling, heist missions like Payday 2...you know just basically whatever the developer can think of. You'll probably get noncombat and combat related things outside of the purview of the regular combat system related to stuff like collectible card games, racing of different types, and sports stuff (like how GTA online lets you golf and play tennis) that fits whatever setting the game takes place in. You'll probably have some hub area you get at the start that can be upgraded, (like Warframe) with the ability to buy better hub areas later like in GTA Online. And maybe it'll be in the form of MMOs with sandbox hub worlds, so it might be that it comes back round to MMOs.

Basically something that can take everything that came before it and put it under one roof.

duke nukem

Augur
24-h Peak: 2,378
Reached lowest point today with 965 players. (im not counting yesterdays patch day lows as obviously there cant be anyplayers during update)

So its surprising that its player count did not increase after patch.
http://steamcharts.com/app/809960

This game has 1-2 million owners. I guess there is demand for more battle royales.
https://steamspy.com/app/809960

I'm pretty sure it fills the game with bots if there aren't enough people around. At least that was what I was told when I gave it a very quick look. I'm sure the appeal is playing against other people though so I imagine that isn't going to keep it afloat. They better send that Fortnite guy another check.
Oh, then it actually can last maybe into june, even though fighting against bots is boring as hell.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Hmm. Don't a lot of these pro-streamers basically play a new release like RH maybe once or twice and then move onto something more interesting/profitable?

I'm reminded of the Crowbcat video on LawBreakers. All these "cool" gamers talking up the game, getting tats and shit. How many of them give a fuck about the game now? How many of them ended up being regular players? Posers the lot of them.

mbv123

Arbiter
Tbh, if Cliffy paid me thousands of dollars to play his shitty game for an hour or two, I'd do it too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom