Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Lost interest at "wide open world".

Don't be afraid, it will get smaller when the sandstorms encroach on you until only a small area at the center is left ;)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
RIP Avalanche Studios, you will soon join Arkane and id Software.
Is that even a worse fate than being under Square Enix? It's just barely an upgrade in my opinion.
It’s Apex - Avalanche Open-World Engine.
Interesting that it isn't id Tech they are using. Although id Tech hasn't been proven to be very good for wide open spaces yet I would have thought that they could modify it and id could serve as the technical backbone of Bethesda. I expect Bethesda to have a in house engine when their next game rolls out as it's been like 3 years since Fallout 4. That's around half the time it takes to build a fully featured game engine in house, although they would probably have to do some extra hiring or cooperate with other studios that are under Zenimax.
I sort of expect this to be some sort of Borderlands esque open world shoot and loot coop game, although Avalanche has yet to make any multiplayer games. On another note, is the Mad Max game any good? I have never seen the movies but the game is on sale constantly so I'm thinking of buying it eventually.
Although shitting on Bethesda is the universally enjoyed past time here, I think the game looks decent. I most likely won't be buying it until it's far cheaper years after release. Maybe it will be 10/10 but it kinda looks generic at the moment.

orcinator

Liturgist
IT'S LIKE FALLOUT MEETS MAD MAX!

Christ, it's like they saw how fucking generic shit like Destiny and Anthem looked, rummaged thought the IPs they owned and said, "hey, if we make a sequel to this we can make something just as generic".

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Probably for the same reason things like this are made:
8500111049_a212279791_o-1.jpg

To attract wyman and faggots?
Its .223, they might as well be hello kitty.

soulburner

Cipher
This trailer looked good one moment and bad the other. I hate the "my left hand has superpowers" thing they promote here and not using id Tech in an id game (even when developped by another studio) is just weird. Well, I'm going to check the demo out, probably :P

soulburner

Cipher
The first line in the youtube video description says:
Introducing RAGE 2, a new first-person shooterverse (...)
So it seems Bethesda did the same thing to RAGE that they did to PREY. Took the trademark and made their own thing - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original, except for the overall postapocalyptic feeling and some of the enemy design. I wonder how exactly is id Software involved in this at all, initially I thought they just gave the technology at least, but now their logo might be attached to it just to attract id fans. Or maybe Tim Willits oversaw the project to some extent? So many questions!

Zer0wing

Cipher
So it seems Bethesda did the same thing to RAGE that they did to PREY. Took the trademark and made their own thing - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original, except for the overall postapocalyptic feeling and some of the enemy design. I wonder how exactly is id Software involved in this at all, initially I thought they just gave the technology at least, but now their logo might be attached to it just to attract id fans. Or maybe Tim Willits oversaw the project to some extent? So many questions!
Ahem, bethesda published the first RAGE also.

soulburner

Cipher
Ahem, bethesda published the first RAGE also.
Yes, I know. What I meant is they made Rage 2 something that's only vaguely similar to Rage 1. Like some executive thought the name "Rage" is kind of cool, so let's use the trademark we own and make a new game. Apart from the "postapocalipticness" and maybe the existence of the Authority it seems to ignore the first game completely.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The problem with Avalanche games that they are fun for few first hours at best, then uninstall.
I don't really agree with that. I clocked in over 70 hours on Just Cause 2 although I started installing some retarded mods at around 50 hours through that gave me nuclear C4 and Superman abilities and shit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Lol this doesn't even use id Tech.

Id + avalanche = nudoom gunplay meets just cause open world
Looking how the character shoots and moves it's just like you'd be playing nudoom.

I think this might be an okay buy for 5$ GOTY edition 3 years from now.

Just Cause 3 had a memory leak that was never fixed tho.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Open World Mayhem is the exact antithesis to id Software's ethos of hand-crafted level design. Instead Avalanche gets to make a shitty Far Cry-style sandbox shooter. Will there be l00t bawkses too I wonder? I'm replaying RAGE now and I must give id credit for their meticulous attention to detail. Even the characters are painstakingly key-frame animated to ridiculous levels.

Fuck that. At least there's still new Prey stuff coming. Woe if Arkane succumbs to the open-world Bethesda disease.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Open world is absolutely fine if it is done by a developer who knows how to design the game based around it, and I feel that Avalanche is one of those studios.
Just Cause 3 had a memory leak that was never fixed tho
Fun fact actually, Just Cause 3 was made by Avalanche New York since Avalanche Sweden (who made Just Cause 2) were making Mad Max during that time. The New York studio was brand new and had 0 experienced talent as the Sweden studio did.

Curratum

The art direction in both trailers is worrying, all the bright colors are hideous.
The repeated hammering home of how open and seamless it's going to be leads me to believe there will be zero detailed, hand-made indoor locations / levels, which is exactly why I play shooters in the first place. The closest thing we'll probably get will be open-world bullshit "outposts" and small enclosed areas.

The forest / swamp / jungle locale seems looks just like a scene out of theHunter: Call of the Wild - a hunting sim that runs on Avalanche's Apex but is put together by a small, clueless indie studio and runs pretty poorly.

I hope it's not as utterly terrible as I fear it will be. :( I actually loved the first RAGE, played it through twice and thought the gunplay and combat were watertight, with very decent level design.

Vexxt

Educated
Open World Mayhem is the exact antithesis to id Software's ethos of hand-crafted level design. Instead Avalanche gets to make a shitty Far Cry-style sandbox shooter. Will there be l00t bawkses too I wonder? I'm replaying RAGE now and I must give id credit for their meticulous attention to detail. Even the characters are painstakingly key-frame animated to ridiculous levels.

Fuck that. At least there's still new Prey stuff coming. Woe if Arkane succumbs to the open-world Bethesda disease.

Yeah I played the original Rage just a couple years ago, and I have to agree about the character animations - they were amazing, even by today's standards.

There's that one mission later in the game where you have to blow up a tunnel or similar, and on the way you run into a couple construction workers, one of which is using a jackhammer. I swear I watched the guy with the jackhammer for minutes, just because of how impressive the animation was.

There really were a few standout moments in that game which kind of hinted towards what the original intent was, but it just fell short.

Martius

Liturgist
Looks like you can at least more mobile in combat thanks to dash, double jump and slam from air (in theory). Now lets see if there will be regenerating health, iron sights and if car combat and open world will fit rest of game any better than first Rage.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
From the look of that gameplay trailer, I bet that if the intro was done differently that Bethesda would have been able to sell this as Fallout 5.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I see why they hired Avalanche, Mad Max is a technically impressive game, the game is gorgeous and it had some really nice ideas like half of the map being an old dried sea bed with crystallized salt everywhere, visually it was a Mad Max game, it explored well the setting on some places like making Sidney airport on a sort of lair for a creepy mutant tribe, the problem with the game was Ubisoftitis, none of the mechanics were deep enough to make the repetitive gameplay loop of foot combat and car combat interesting.

Obviously this is a Far Cry/Mad Max hybrid, it depends how they handle shooting mechanics , if it is yet another Call of Duty model game, the basic gameplay will be mediocre as fuck, center screen recoil perfect guns on the general direction of retarded AI goons = dozens of Ai goons dead before they knew what happened, boring as fuck. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this way anyway, Far Cry 5 sold more than 10 million copies, it wouldn't be interesting to me no doubt.

What is interesting is the participation of Id and the fact of you having some sort of jet pack, this might indicate they are going for NuDoom shooting model where movement is important and you dont need to be some iron sights lamp post mowing down headless chicken with your AK 47 that is almost as accurate as an sniper rifle like on Far Cry 3 to 5, this could make the repetitive combat interesting enough to make the open world gameplay bearable.

Rage vehicle combat was crap, Avalanche had an interesting system where you could target different parts of a car during combat with different effects on each part hit that was interesting, if they develop that system enough (it was kinda superfluous on Mad Max as it didn't take too long for you to get super powered torpedoes that one shot most enemies anyway) and balance that system better so you actually need to use it, you could have some nice car combat that isn't just shooting the enemies until they explode like Rage, what would be absolute shit.

Of course, all of this is I assuming Bethesda actually care into making their popamole games less mediocre than the competition, what could be a fabulously optimistic attitude from me.

Needs more in-game footage and less pseudo Celtic Burring Man cosplay. At least the pink and blue hair seems to be absent form the flashes of game in the trailer.

Oh, I just saw the other trailer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom