Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's kinda like Watch Dogs 1 -> Watch Dogs 2.
Brown, drab and a bit boring becomes pink, colorful and quirky.

Venser

Erudite
I was so impressed by Rage 1 back then I even uploaded a video on it.

I am sure Rage 2 will be just as good!

I already forgot how bad the punching animation was. It's like you're playing as Ronda Rousey

LiveSeveralIncatern-size_restricted.gif

ortucis

Prophet
Maybe Bethesda and Id are working on a new IdTech, which will allow huge open maps, day-night cycle and moddability.
Original Rage had pretty big maps.

Original RAGE gave you the impression that it had pretty big maps.

I enjoyed it, finished it like 3 times. A lot of action reminded me of Quake 2.. only slower.

The thing is, game was still trying to give a proper SP experience with story and all. It fucked up the ending, but at least it tried. I have NO reason to believe that Just Cause developers are capable of that. Every game from them is a shitty open world game where story or SP presentation is an afterthought while the action gets stale in an hour or so (Just Cause is a great example of everything wrong).

Maybe they'll surprise us with Rage 2. Though I bet Bethesda just saw another "open world" IP they can exploit and turn into another fucking Fallout, while they rape Fallout themselves.

Last edited:

Ringhausen

Augur
The thing is, game was still trying to give a proper SP experience with story and all.

What. RAGE had the worst, most fake open world I´ve ever seen. They made a straightforward shooter and then went "Oooh, look at the open world fad, we need to include that!"

And then they added corridors for you to drive through inbetween story missions. All the missions are linear and locked off, there is nothing to do between them other than to.. drive through the fucking corridor.

It´s the sickest thing ever. Rage 2 will be better by default because it simply can´t get any worse than that.

ortucis

Prophet
The thing is, game was still trying to give a proper SP experience with story and all.

What. RAGE had the worst, most fake open world I´ve ever seen. They made a straightforward shooter and then went "Oooh, look at the open world fad, we need to include that!"

And then they added corridors for you to drive through inbetween story missions. All the missions are linear and locked off, there is nothing to do between them other than to.. drive through the fucking corridor.

It´s the sickest thing ever. Rage 2 will be better by default because it simply can´t get any worse than that.

:retarded:

Have you ever played an id Software game before? They are all corridor shooters taking place in small linear environments. Were you expecting them to make next Fallout?

Also, I said in the same post you quoted that the game gives the impression of being open world, but it isn't. That didn't stop it from being a fun SP game.

Last edited:

Ringhausen

Augur
Also, I said in the same post you quoted that the game gives the impression of being open world, but it isn't.
And how is that a good thing? My issue is that instead of focusing all their resources into making a good shooter they instead wasted time trying to fool the Fallout 3 / Borderlands audience into buying their garbage.

ortucis

Prophet
Also, I said in the same post you quoted that the game gives the impression of being open world, but it isn't.
And how is that a good thing? My issue is that instead of focusing all their resources into making a good shooter they instead wasted time trying to fool the Fallout 3 / Borderlands audience into buying their garbage.

RAGE was already a good shooter, better than the shit like Borderlands. Combat is fun, enemies react to the damage and the action on-foot keeps you on toes (plus there are different tools to cause chaos).

My only complaint was that they shoehorned that racing crap into it because with the setting, they were aiming for Mad Max. They didn't expect autist Fallout lovers to show up drooling and whining at their gates instead.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looking at the game....must say that the exploration will be important for this game. The combat looks like it could become boring fast . If the game lacks decent writing and good exploration,it will become tedious.

ortucis

Prophet

That looks terrible.

The best part is, enemies can easily be tracked and killed by a gamepad user. Now imagine the same enemy against a mouse. Hell, in most areas enemies are a few meters away from you but still have full running cycle to get even closer to you so you can use your shotgun.

"This game is fun." Yeah, translation: "Dumbed down to have shooting galleries and FUN explosions in every corner."

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.windowscentral.com/rage-2-preview

RAGE 2 is a carnival of carnage DOOM fans should not miss
RAGE 2 is an upcoming dream collaboration between id Software and Avalanche. The result is a circus of mayhem fans of DOOM or Just Cause can't afford to miss.
Jez Corden
31 Aug 2018
rage2_cyber_crusher_1528303054.jpg

RAGE 2 is the unexpected sequel to 2010's post-apocalyptic shooter from id Software. RAGE 2 takes place decades after its predecessor, following a global catastrophe. An asteroid impact has wiped out virtually all civilization, leaving earth in a dilapidated state. Many of the survivors banded together to form enclaves, some passive, others violent, as lawlessness and chaos grip the land.

RAGE owes a little more to Mad Max than some of the other post-apocalyptic titles out there, due to its focus on wasteland vehicular combat. To continue that tradition, id Software enlisted the aid of Avalanche Studios, known for its chaotic sandboxes like Just Cause and the criminally underrated take on the Mad Max universe, which in my opinion, has the best vehicular combat in an open world game, maybe ever.

We went hands-on with RAGE 2 at Gamescom 2018, and we talked to id Software Studio Director Tim Willits and Senior Game Designer Loke Wallmo from Avalanche Studios.

Setting the scene for mayhem

rage_2_sunset_1526392049.jpg

Players take control of Walker in RAGE 2, a descendant of nanomachine-enhanced humans who used advanced technology to escape the asteroid impact. Walker also has these nanomachines, dubbed "nanotrites" in-game, and he can wield them more effectively than Nicholas Raine from the previous game, complete with superhuman strength. The tutorial narrator refers to you as a Wasteland Superhero, and that very much sums up RAGE 2's core gameplay premise.

Taking place 30 years after the first game, RAGE 2 will feature an all-new cast and self-contained story, although it will feature nods and returning characters for fans of the original.

RAGE 2 will also ditch the "50 shades of brown," as described by id Software's Willits, in favor of brighter colors and a wider variety of biomes. The orbital "Arks" used by humanity to avoid complete annihilation also came equipped with terraforming equipment to repair the world's ecology after the asteroid impact. Their descent to earth has created forests, swamps, and other types of terrain not present in the original. This gives RAGE 2 its own personality, as the world recovers from the desert wasteland of its predecessor.

RAGE 2 doesn't have an RPG-like "EXP" system or anything of that nature, but there are characters and quests scattered throughout the world that will give you upgrades for virtually any weapon or system tied to your character. RAGE 2 will also feature some vehicle customization and grant you the ability to collect vehicles. Any vehicle in the game can be hijacked and driven, too, including the hulking war machine big-rigs.

While you will be fighting plenty of Mad Max-style primitivist bandits in RAGE 2, you will also be battling twisted mutants, deranged cultists, and the game's central antagonist, The Authority, who are all attempting to take over what little remains of civilization by force. Devoid of morals, The Authority utilizes an army of twisted cyborgs and bastardized nanotrite technology, so they should prove to be more difficult to battle than your average road warrior.

Chaotic combat with elegant execution
rage_2_monstertruck_1526392048.jpg

RAGE 2 retains some familiarity from the original title. Notably, the Mad Max-inspired boomerang-like "wingsticks" return, with some brand new homing technology. And RAGE 2 is still the fast-paced shooter that you remember.

The demo we played took place in an abandoned space facility, where the player is tasked with overseeing the landing of a satellite. The base, naturally, has been taken over by bandits and crazies, and the demo gave us a multitude of violent toys to play with.

RAGE 2 isn't a cover-based shooter by any means. In keeping with titles like DOOM, you're supposed to be fast on your feet, moving from area to area with a shotgun in hand and nanotrite superpowers in the other. RAGE 2 will have a wide array of weapons, so we're told, but in our demo, the shotgun stood out as particularly unique.

— Jezpunk 2077 (@JezCorden) August 30, 2018
One of RAGE's signature features was the realistic and unpredictable way enemies moved. They could vault over objects, parkour along walls, and swing from bars. id Software seems to have continued this tradition in RAGE 2, but now it works both ways. The shotgun isn't only incredibly satisfying to use simply from a first-person-shooter (FPS) standpoint, but now, it also has impact. Hitting an armored enemy in the chest might not kill them, but the force will knock them flying across objects, splattering onto the corners of tables or hanging over railings. You can also use it to push them off ledges or out of windows, when not killing them outright. The sheer force of a weapon is something often overlooked by other shooters, and it simply felt tremendous in RAGE 2.

rage_2_crusher_1526392045.jpg

Nanotrites in the first game only allowed the player to resurrect in the field with an internal defibrillator, but their implementation in RAGE 2 goes far deeper. Walker can quickly dash left and right, to escape bullet fire. He can also do a force punch, reducing unarmoured and low-health enemies to piles of bloody chunks. You can also leap into the air and forcefully strike the ground, creating a wave of devastation, knocking enemies flying away when you're surrounded.

You can feel the touch of Avalanche at every level in RAGE 2, with the way the game's physics-based systems interact with one another. Perhaps you punch someone across the room with the Shatter nanotrite ability, and they might slam into a gas canister and cause an explosion, which might then chain react with other nearby explosives in a scene wholly reminiscent of Just Cause. The organic nature of these gameplay mechanics creates dynamic events that are far more memorable than any scripted sequence. As a result, every weapon and every ability I tried in RAGE 2 was incredibly infectious to use, creating unpredictable sequences that were awe-inspiring. RAGE 2's combat flows with an elegance the original RAGE simply couldn't achieve.

RAGE 2 is the result of a match made in gaming heaven
rage_2_abadonattack_1526392044.jpg

RAGE 2 looks like its shaping up to be a match made in gaming heaven, as id Software and Avalanche Studios' unique skillsets intersect and complement each other like few gaming partnerships have. The industry-leading shooter expertise of id Software is on full display in RAGE 2, and merging it with Avalanche's open-world tech and vehicular combat from Just Cause and Mad Max holds a tremendous amount of promise.

RAGE 2 is a completely single-player experience, although id Software teases some connected "community" features and some post-launch content. The game world will be "massive," completely free of loading screens or artificial sector gating, allowing players the freedom to explore the wastes, jungles, and ruins as they see fit.

RAGE 2 doesn't have a fixed launch date as of writing, but it should drop sometime in 2019 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

tritosine2k

Erudite
To whom it may concern - that "match made in heaven " psychopathy facilitator will be compared to Cyberpunk'77 relentlessly then trashed subsequently, I'd guess.

soulburner

Cipher
This looks pretty good. Still not a fan of left-hand-superpowers and I feel weird about an id-related game not running on any id-tech, but I'm interested.

I find it endlessly hilarious that someone out there would think in a post apoc wasteland, there would be roving gangs of butch dikes. It's just completely mind boggling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom