Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

A horse of course

I find it endlessly hilarious that someone out there would think in a post apoc wasteland, there would be roving gangs of butch dikes. It's just completely mind boggling.

Clearly never visited Sheffield.

Perkel

Arcane
That would work so well if player would be Dred like character in Deus Vault mode cleaning up wastelands for normal humans to move in.

Razor

Arcane
...On another note, is the Mad Max game any good? I have never seen the movies but the game is on sale constantly so I'm thinking of buying it eventually.
Although shitting on Bethesda is the universally enjoyed past time here, I think the game looks decent. I most likely won't be buying it until it's far cheaper years after release. Maybe it will be 10/10 but it kinda looks generic at the moment.

For me the best things about the Mad Max open world games were the world building and car combat. Specially the world building. For example when you are driving around you may come across a scene like this:

9774A30A0D86FF42DDECB4D2882E24DFA91E0FC2

The moment when you realize that you are standing on a spot that was probably some 50-100m below sea level and the large plain in the background (insta kill zone in gameplay) is most likely what is left of a dried up Pacific Ocean. The game characters and descriptions frequently refer to the great whites etc which clearly reference ocean water salt that is left over and has poisoned the last of the good lands.

Other favourite moments included driving around a sand dune desert and then you spot a weird pyramid in the distance with your scope. Upon closer inspection you discover that the pyramid is a old church tower top and the church (and surrounding buildings) are completely swallowed by the roving dunes.

Car mechanics wise it offers nice driving and upgrade system that primarily compliment combat sections in the form of random encounters and convoy mission where you assault and destroy the convoys. The enemies come in different armour plating setups which require you to dismantle them with a harpoon gun before you can kill em. You also use the car to scout and dismantle the primary defences of outposts like pulling down flamethrower towers and harpooning sniper nests etc. Overall for me it was quite enjoyable.

By far the weakest part of the game are the activities associated with the on foot movement: clearing outposts. First off the level aesthetics at every single outpost are different but they all come down to a linear corridor. The game uses the cookie cutter Batman Arkham Asylum fist fight mechanic where everyone gathers around in a circle Hong Kong movie style as you dispatch them one on one. It has firearms in the form of your sawed off shotgun but ammo is rare, you can carry only a very limited amount and more often then not you use it as a insta kill just to get rid of the most annoying enemy types in the mob (blockers etc). Like the Batman games the enemies come in different types and tiers but by far the worst offenders are the outpost mini bosses: its literally the same Tijuana wrestler but in different colors! :prosper:

Clearly the outpost combat got the least funding and/or time allocated as seen with the mini bosses and the vehicle/world building probably got the most attention.

TL;DR: a) atmosphere wise the mad max game IMO captures really well the dead/dying Earth feel: both the landscape and general vibe given off from the survivors reflect that (psychosis, longing for the seas to return etc, living off the corpse of the old world etc)

b) Vehicles are the second best part of the game with a upgrade tree and nice meaty car/outpost combat.

c) worst part of it are the outposts themselves. My advice: look up where you can get what upgrade part and only do the stuff that you want to upgrade. Doing them all (like I did) really demonstrates the copy-paste nature of them. Not in level aesthetics (has a variation) but in level structure, aka linear corridors and that fucking Mexican wrestler and his twin brothers.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
SO hyped for this Care-Bear coloured sequel to a dull as fuck shooter, that I might delay organizing my stamp collection to play it in 2067

Curratum

The only reason I'm excited for this game, which I won't play because the gameplay will be boring garbage, is the gfx engine. It will be using the engine used in theHunter Call of the Wild, which is the best looking first-person game ever made.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I played the original Rage again last week and I was quickly reminded why I could never bother with finishing the game.
The gameplay is pretty generic so it is never going to win an award for that so it definitely depends on its setting, in that regard it looks pretty promising until you discover how limited they are and your freedom is to move through them.
A small fence you could easily jump over? Invisible wall. In an interesting building or structure you would like to have a closer look at? It is just there for background. (I do know that the DLC opened up some places). Places like that Dead City? Despite looking big it is actually a pretty small place.
This game's world design suffers every issue that games designed to run on both PC and older generation consoles suffer from and I don't see that changing in the future.

Storyline? survivors in the wasteland are being threatened by raiders and mutants while being oppressed by the evil Authority who is secretly conducting experiments (I think to make humans more controllable but I am not sure, it was just mentioned somewhere and never brought up) while a small resistance group seeks to oppose them and restore freedom. * yawn *.

As I mentioned before if Bethesda had claimed that the previous game or this game was Fallout 3 and 4 I would have believed them.

Rage 2 is not going to make an impact on the market and I wonder why Bethesda and Id bothered.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll say this about Rage 1. The Rebar gun from the scorchers DLC is one of the best guns in any game I've played. I'd have a hard time picking between the Rebar gun and the Penetrator from F.E.A.R.

The nail gun from Scorchers was pretty fucking cool too

Loostreaks

Learned
Even with best FPS, some guns are a lot better than others. Can't single out one here: they ALL sound phenomenal.
Looks like some good brainless fun otherwise. Funny thing is, even this pink themepark seems more coherent/better crafted than BW's Anthem.

soulburner

Cipher
This looks surprisingly good, however I can't help but feel it looks and plays a lot like a mix of Borderlands and Bulletstorm. I don't know if it's the postapocalyptic setting that makes me feel that way or there's something more to it. Anyway, I'm interested. I loved the first Rage and I wonder if the sequel, developed by another studio than id, is going to feel like an actual sequel, or is it gonna be something similar to Prey vs Prey ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom