Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But that means the difference is shooting dudes while walking or shooting dudes while standing.

You're reducing what I said to "while walking" for an attempt at snark bonus points, but it really just makes you look stupid. Running, crouch sliding, using highly varied powers, throwing grenades, dodging rockets and enemy powers, switching weapons, changing areas, jumping over enemies or roofs, etc. etc... "walking." Yeah okay.

Even the reviews bashing this game say the combat is great. Stop being try-hards.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm referring to your definition of popamole, "the method of shooting the enemies, was stand and pop the moles".

There's literally no other definition that makes sense. Either it's a term used to criticize simplistic shooters where you stand still and "pop the moles" or it's a meaningless term used to bash all shooters with no actual criticism involved. It can't be had both ways.

It was a derisive way of referring to cover shooters, where you wait for guys to pop out of cover. Eventually, it degenerated into a generic term for "shitty gameplay", yes. But the meaning lives on with the derp trolls:

:popamole:

It's just that "you stand and pop the moles" sounded like such a broad description that it could include any game that's not about hipfiring while moving.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Being a shooter where you hide behind something and pop the moles as they peer out of cover does not require you have an actual cover system. Call of Duty 2+ is the exact same as Gears of War, it's just in first-person and you don't snap to cover like a Lego. Slow console aiming was the cause of both, and both were derided in the same way. The "degenerated into a generic term" is exactly what I'm fucking complaining about, so we don't even disagree, making the conversation 100% a waste of time. Hooray!

JDR13

Arcane
why-i-do-declare-i-smell-a-fanboy.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Meh, you do snark and I do cussin', it's not really about being real life mad. In any case I think Rage 2 is merely an okay game with great combat and mediocre everything else. I just think calling it popamole is stupid.

And now I am off, to actually play the stupid thing.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
an okay game with great combat and mediocre everything else.

Unfortunately the "everything else" is not just mediocre its REALLY BAD. This game is another perfect example of shoehorning in open world design because its trendy and ruining what could have been a good game (you know, like Witcher 3 for instance :M).

Doom 2016 was fun because it was almost entirely non-stop shooting. Rage 2 has small isolated incidents of shooting followed by easter egg hunting for fucking stupid ass pink boxes, and then a long drive through generic boring open world land in badly designed cars ( and yes ALL the cars drive like shit in this game for some reason...) to another far to short sequence of enjoyable shooting.

I really do wonder how long we will have to put up with open world design in AAA games, 10 years, 20 years? Where will it end?

Anyway its still a fun game, just a shame its saddled with all of the Triple AYYY bullshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like open world RPGs when done well, but yeah I definitely prefer a more Doom/Deus Ex/Bioshock "large maps" kind of thing for games like this. Even the towns in this are nice to look at but offer almost nothing of substance gameplay wise, just people who put marks on your map. It really is the Witcher 3 of FPS games, just driving from one question mark to the next checking off boxes. I think the combat is good enough that gameplay loop is entertaining though, at least for a while. I'd never 100% this game, it would be like working a job after a while.

Codex Year of the Donut
To me popamole always meant the Call of Duty style stand there and shoot people without much thought or movement type of shooter. That's where that term comes from, as it's like those whack-a-mole games at the carnival, just stand there and pop the moles.

I always thought it was Gears of War style shit, where you spend the whole game crouched behind the 3' tall barriers that the world is somehow covered with, only popping up to shoot quick bursts off and on.
I replayed the Mass Effect series earlier this year and was surprised at how good the shooting in 3 was with regards to this on the highest difficulty. If you stay behind the same cover for more than a second or two you'll get peppered with grenades and the enemies will flank you. I really didn't remember that at all from when I first played it.
The prothean DLC companion added a lot of interesting lore.
If you take Liara and the javik to the asari mission liara basically goes insane finding out their gods were just protheans

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
an okay game with great combat and mediocre everything else.

Unfortunately the "everything else" is not just mediocre its REALLY BAD. This game is another perfect example of shoehorning in open world design because its trendy and ruining what could have been a good game (you know, like Witcher 3 for instance :M).

Doom 2016 was fun because it was almost entirely non-stop shooting. Rage 2 has small isolated incidents of shooting followed by easter egg hunting for fucking stupid ass pink boxes, and then a long drive through generic boring open world land in badly designed cars ( and yes ALL the cars drive like shit in this game for some reason...) to another far to short sequence of enjoyable shooting.

I really do wonder how long we will have to put up with open world design in AAA games, 10 years, 20 years? Where will it end?

Anyway its still a fun game, just a shame its saddled with all of the Triple AYYY bullshit.
It's open world because the game has nearly zero content otherwise. You can finish the main ""story"" in 5 hours.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's open world because the game has nearly zero content otherwise. You can finish the main ""story"" in 5 hours.

The main story missions aren't really any different from all the optional stuff, so it doesn't matter much really. Unless you just want more cutscenes, which... well, they're not great.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To be honest a 75% of hard copy sale drop compared to game sold 8 years ago is broken and useless information. It is natural that the sales would drop a lot when you have in mind the rise of digital distribution. Tho i won't be surprised if the game sold poorly,i have no idea for whom this game is made. It is not for the modern shooter retards,it is not for old school bastards like me,also it is part of the oversaturated and creatively bankrupted genre of post-apocalyptical games. It ads nothing new to the genre and it is just the same shoot punks in desert land :roll:.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought it was made for me, the very-easy-to-please crowd that likes punchy, tight moment to moment gameplay. It kinda worked until the game forced me to shoot immobile fuel tanks to complete an objective and keep interrupting me with progress bars that pause the game. That shit is so dumb. Avalanche got lightning in a bottle with Just Cause 2 and they thought they are still hot shit in the open world action sub genre, yet they still stuck in the past with their banal design while everyone else figured out how to make better open worlds with better flow and better back drops. Those guys seriously need some smack on their head.

It has a 13,500 all-time player peak on Steam, so unless Bethesda's doing monster numbers on the BethStore thanks to all those third-party key sites, things aren't looking good. https://steamdb.info/app/548570/graphs/
Since people say Prey was a failure for Bethesda and it got a peak around 25,000 players it is fairly likely that Rage 2's doing poorly for 'em. Prey actually has a higher peak than Dishonored 2, surprisingly enough. 22k there.

JDR13

Arcane
It has a 13,500 all-time player peak on Steam, so unless Bethesda's doing monster numbers on the BethStore thanks to all those third-party key sites, things aren't looking good. https://steamdb.info/app/548570/graphs/
Since people say Prey was a failure for Bethesda and it got a peak around 25,000 players it is fairly likely that Rage 2's doing poorly for 'em. Prey actually has a higher peak than Dishonored 2, surprisingly enough. 22k there.

That's a shame because Prey is one of the few Beth-published games that actually deserved to be a success imo.

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I heard that was pretty good as well. I liked the first game.

That's a shame because Prey is one of the few Beth-published games that actually deserved to be a success imo.

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I heard that was pretty good as well. I liked the first game.
Prey and Dishonored (The series as a whole) are all pretty excellent. I bitched about Dishonored when I first played it (There are probably some posts floating around on here where I WAS bitching about it) because I went into it with a Thief-mindset which didn't work particularly well, both because the stealth in Dishonored is more simple than Thief and the levels aren't really set up to support it. Playing it like an overpowered assassin on the highest difficulty though and not avoiding combat at every possible turn makes it a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Went off on a tangent there, but I would recommend Dishonored 2 (And the standalone expansion Death of the Outsider) pretty easily though if you liked the first game. They both have better/more interesting powers and upgrades on offer and the level design is the absolute best in them. The Daud DLC was a step above Dishonored 1 and Dishonored 2's a step above the Daud DLC, almost every level in Dishonored 2 has a cool special wrinkle to it and its own unique feeling. Fair warning though, much like the first game the story is dumb as hell. The atmosphere and setting are fantastic to soak in but it's hard to give a damn about the story.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I thought it was made for me, the very-easy-to-please crowd that likes punchy, tight moment to moment gameplay. It kinda worked until the game forced me to shoot immobile fuel tanks to complete an objective and keep interrupting me with progress bars that pause the game. That shit is so dumb.

This game is not great at all but some of the complaints are really weird. Shooting big red gas tanks are part of one enemy outpost type which I've done maybe 3 times, and it's not like shooting 5 or so big red tanks is a big deal? Honestly I wish there were more "do more than kill all the bad guys" objectives. The progress bars after finishing a "level" are for an upgrade system that honestly is the main reason to play the game, and people love watching numbers go up in other games. I don't get these complaints at all. The complaints to make are: big empty open world, shit story, repetitive design. You don't have to nit-pick minor shit when the big obvious flaws are right there staring you in the face.

As for Prey and Dishonored, yes they're ten times better games but they're also very different games that aren't really comparable. Rage 2 is Nu Doom in a big empty Just Cause world. You're either into that or you're not. Sales say most aren't it seems.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought it was made for me, the very-easy-to-please crowd that likes punchy, tight moment to moment gameplay. It kinda worked until the game forced me to shoot immobile fuel tanks to complete an objective and keep interrupting me with progress bars that pause the game. That shit is so dumb.

This game is not great at all but some of the complaints are really weird. Shooting big red gas tanks are part of one enemy outpost type which I've done maybe 3 times, and it's not like shooting 5 or so big red tanks is a big deal? Honestly I wish there were more "do more than kill all the bad guys" objectives. The progress bars after finishing a "level" are for an upgrade system that honestly is the main reason to play the game, and people love watching numbers go up in other games. I don't get these complaints at all. The complaints to make are: big empty open world, shit story, repetitive design. You don't have to nit-pick minor shit when the big obvious flaws are right there staring you in the face.

As for Prey and Dishonored, yes they're ten times better games but they're also very different games that aren't really comparable. Rage 2 is Nu Doom in a big empty Just Cause world. You're either into that or you're not. Sales say most aren't it seems.
It's all about the flow. I found myself just wandering around finding those tanks after a camp wipeout which was a downer, because the process of annihilating was fun, but the mission objective wasn't. It's not like you loot corpses after each battle in RPG either, you're just required to do something that's incredibly mundane and banal compared to the main action. There are not just fuel tanks, but also those authority sentries and the mutant hives underground. Where is the fun is shooting those things? Especially the sentries, they're bullet sponge, all you have to do is pump bullet into it when it's exposed, hide behind wall when it's about to laser beam or jump when it spreads the energy circle thingy, do you find yourself having fun in fighting these things?

Again, it's all about the flow. I don't have a problem with progress bar itself, I have a problem with how the game presents it. Rage 2 touted itself as a fast paced shooter, so the least aggravating it can do is interrupting that pace and respect your flow. If I just cleared a camp and increased a faction level, cool, but DON'T FUCKING PAUSE THE FUCKING GAME, just fucking show that bar in a corner of the screen, how difficult is that? It might be minor to you but it's a dealbreaker to me. I fucking despise games that don't respect my experience by doing abhorent shit like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom