Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Hines, May 9, 2018.

1. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    But that means the difference is shooting dudes while walking or shooting dudes while standing.

^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You're reducing what I said to "while walking" for an attempt at snark bonus points, but it really just makes you look stupid. Running, crouch sliding, using highly varied powers, throwing grenades, dodging rockets and enemy powers, switching weapons, changing areas, jumping over enemies or roofs, etc. etc... "walking." Yeah okay.

Even the reviews bashing this game say the combat is great. Stop being try-hards.

• incline incline x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I'm referring to your definition of popamole, "the method of shooting the enemies, was stand and pop the moles". I'm not criticizing Rage 2, you're free to like it.

^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    There's literally no other definition that makes sense. Either it's a term used to criticize simplistic shooters where you stand still and "pop the moles" or it's a meaningless term used to bash all shooters with no actual criticism involved. It can't be had both ways.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    It was a derisive way of referring to cover shooters, where you wait for guys to pop out of cover. Eventually, it degenerated into a generic term for "shitty gameplay", yes. But the meaning lives on with the derp trolls:

:popamole:

It's just that "you stand and pop the moles" sounded like such a broad description that it could include any game that's not about hipfiring while moving.

^ Top  
  6. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Being a shooter where you hide behind something and pop the moles as they peer out of cover does not require you have an actual cover system. Call of Duty 2+ is the exact same as Gears of War, it's just in first-person and you don't snap to cover like a Lego. Slow console aiming was the cause of both, and both were derided in the same way. The "degenerated into a generic term" is exactly what I'm fucking complaining about, so we don't even disagree, making the conversation 100% a waste of time. Hooray!

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    [​IMG]

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    A fanboy of what? Using terms that make sense?

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I never said we did, just on the "standing" bit. You just blew up for no apparent reason, like you were full of

Show Spoiler
    rage

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Meh, you do snark and I do cussin', it's not really about being real life mad. In any case I think Rage 2 is merely an okay game with great combat and mediocre everything else. I just think calling it popamole is stupid.

And now I am off, to actually play the stupid thing.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    Unfortunately the "everything else" is not just mediocre its REALLY BAD. This game is another perfect example of shoehorning in open world design because its trendy and ruining what could have been a good game (you know, like Witcher 3 for instance :M).

Doom 2016 was fun because it was almost entirely non-stop shooting. Rage 2 has small isolated incidents of shooting followed by easter egg hunting for fucking stupid ass pink boxes, and then a long drive through generic boring open world land in badly designed cars ( and yes ALL the cars drive like shit in this game for some reason...) to another far to short sequence of enjoyable shooting.

I really do wonder how long we will have to put up with open world design in AAA games, 10 years, 20 years? Where will it end?

Anyway its still a fun game, just a shame its saddled with all of the Triple AYYY bullshit.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I like open world RPGs when done well, but yeah I definitely prefer a more Doom/Deus Ex/Bioshock "large maps" kind of thing for games like this. Even the towns in this are nice to look at but offer almost nothing of substance gameplay wise, just people who put marks on your map. It really is the Witcher 3 of FPS games, just driving from one question mark to the next checking off boxes. I think the combat is good enough that gameplay loop is entertaining though, at least for a while. I'd never 100% this game, it would be like working a job after a while.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I replayed the Mass Effect series earlier this year and was surprised at how good the shooting in 3 was with regards to this on the highest difficulty. If you stay behind the same cover for more than a second or two you'll get peppered with grenades and the enemies will flank you. I really didn't remember that at all from when I first played it.
    The prothean DLC companion added a lot of interesting lore.
    Show Spoiler
    If you take Liara and the javik to the asari mission liara basically goes insane finding out their gods were just protheans

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    ^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    It's open world because the game has nearly zero content otherwise. You can finish the main ""story"" in 5 hours.

^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The main story missions aren't really any different from all the optional stuff, so it doesn't matter much really. Unless you just want more cutscenes, which... well, they're not great.

^ Top  
  16. Hines Learned

Hines
    Another flop for Bethesda. This is becoming embarrassing.
    :dealwithit::bounce::oops::argh:

• Funny x 3
    • incline x 2
    • meh x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    No one is buying the game no one asked for?

Hmm...

Really makes you think.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    To be honest a 75% of hard copy sale drop compared to game sold 8 years ago is broken and useless information. It is natural that the sales would drop a lot when you have in mind the rise of digital distribution. Tho i won't be surprised if the game sold poorly,i have no idea for whom this game is made. It is not for the modern shooter retards,it is not for old school bastards like me,also it is part of the oversaturated and creatively bankrupted genre of post-apocalyptical games. It ads nothing new to the genre and it is just the same shoot punks in desert land :roll:.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    I thought it was made for me, the very-easy-to-please crowd that likes punchy, tight moment to moment gameplay. It kinda worked until the game forced me to shoot immobile fuel tanks to complete an objective and keep interrupting me with progress bars that pause the game. That shit is so dumb. Avalanche got lightning in a bottle with Just Cause 2 and they thought they are still hot shit in the open world action sub genre, yet they still stuck in the past with their banal design while everyone else figured out how to make better open worlds with better flow and better back drops. Those guys seriously need some smack on their head.

^ Top  
  20. Hines Learned

Hines
    It has a 13,500 all-time player peak on Steam, so unless Bethesda's doing monster numbers on the BethStore thanks to all those third-party key sites, things aren't looking good. https://steamdb.info/app/548570/graphs/

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Since people say Prey was a failure for Bethesda and it got a peak around 25,000 players it is fairly likely that Rage 2's doing poorly for 'em. Prey actually has a higher peak than Dishonored 2, surprisingly enough. 22k there.

^ Top  
  22. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    That's a shame because Prey is one of the few Beth-published games that actually deserved to be a success imo.

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I heard that was pretty good as well. I liked the first game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Prey and Dishonored (The series as a whole) are all pretty excellent. I bitched about Dishonored when I first played it (There are probably some posts floating around on here where I WAS bitching about it) because I went into it with a Thief-mindset which didn't work particularly well, both because the stealth in Dishonored is more simple than Thief and the levels aren't really set up to support it. Playing it like an overpowered assassin on the highest difficulty though and not avoiding combat at every possible turn makes it a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Went off on a tangent there, but I would recommend Dishonored 2 (And the standalone expansion Death of the Outsider) pretty easily though if you liked the first game. They both have better/more interesting powers and upgrades on offer and the level design is the absolute best in them. The Daud DLC was a step above Dishonored 1 and Dishonored 2's a step above the Daud DLC, almost every level in Dishonored 2 has a cool special wrinkle to it and its own unique feeling. Fair warning though, much like the first game the story is dumb as hell. The atmosphere and setting are fantastic to soak in but it's hard to give a damn about the story.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This game is not great at all but some of the complaints are really weird. Shooting big red gas tanks are part of one enemy outpost type which I've done maybe 3 times, and it's not like shooting 5 or so big red tanks is a big deal? Honestly I wish there were more "do more than kill all the bad guys" objectives. The progress bars after finishing a "level" are for an upgrade system that honestly is the main reason to play the game, and people love watching numbers go up in other games. I don't get these complaints at all. The complaints to make are: big empty open world, shit story, repetitive design. You don't have to nit-pick minor shit when the big obvious flaws are right there staring you in the face.

As for Prey and Dishonored, yes they're ten times better games but they're also very different games that aren't really comparable. Rage 2 is Nu Doom in a big empty Just Cause world. You're either into that or you're not. Sales say most aren't it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    GOTY

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)