Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rain of Reflections - episodic dystopian adventure game with turn-based strategic confrontations

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I do like cyberpunk, but "Sweden" "led by a former game journalist" "Unity" "Hey guise TWO FEMALE PROTAGONISTS" and their being exceptionally proud of that corny "“This is my story. This is your story. This is our story. To the very end.” line are red flags.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
:killit:
Talk about nitpicking
It's a telltale sign of ultra bland futurism, it's not unlikely that the rest of the game will be just as banal as its art direction if they resort to fucking honeycombs. It's like how crappy shovelware games plaster cleavage all over the boxart in a manner that's not very tasteful, it isn't game ruining or anything but when you see it you know what you're in for.

APGunner

Augur
I do like cyberpunk, but "Sweden" "led by a former game journalist" "Unity" "Hey guise TWO FEMALE PROTAGONISTS" and their being exceptionally proud of that corny "“This is my story. This is your story. This is our story. To the very end.” line are red flags.
Agreed.

Also some stuff from press-release:
The game will constantly move forward, without fillers, repetitive battles or monotonous grinding.
The battle system is deeply connected to the story and centered around a unique morale mechanic...

Every choice has a consequence. The player is forced to live with them.
Beyond: Two Souls fits the description perfectly: no filler battles, combat system connected to story, choices and consequences™. All of that didn't make it a good game.
I'll pretend this game doesn't exist until the first video about actual in-game combat system is released.

Mustawd

Talk about nitpicking

*shrug*

Novice beginning artist myself. But even a newbie like me understands how derivative, generic, and unimaginative the whole honeycomb effect has become. It's just lazy design.

Why is that design even there? No reason...just what people expect the future to look like, fucking honeycomb patterns everywhere.

To be fair I wasn't nitpicking the game. Just saw the trailer and rolled my eyes at the hexes. But overall tend to agree Xu's point on the blandness/generic feeling you get from that effect.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
*shrug*

Novice beginning artist myself. But even a newbie like me understands how derivative, generic, and unimaginative the whole honeycomb effect has become. It's just lazy design.

Why is that design even there? No reason...just what people expect the future to look like, fucking honeycomb patterns everywhere.

To be fair I wasn't nitpicking the game. Just saw the trailer and rolled my eyes at the hexes. But overall tend to agree Xu's point on the blandness/generic feeling you get from that effect.

Yeah you are right, I take it back. Didn't mean to offend you. It's just that after rogueys post about some concerns I share, I found your complaint about hexes rather odd. TBH I'm not that much into the whole SF setting thing, so I'm no authority in judging which motifs are okay and which ones are overused.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Really don't get the bitching about hexagons. If you're going to make a grid, there's only so many options. What makes hexagons so much worse than triangles or squares? Or should nothing in the future have a grid on it? Gee, lets have everything be made of wood and have plants everywhere too, that'd be the most original cyberpunk ever! While we're at it we can get rid of other stupid cliches like everything being electronically powered and buildings taller than a bungalow. :roll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hexes are good for asses.

Dat_Ass_Effect_v1_0_by_DagonMoon.jpg

:greatjob: hexes!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hexagons aside, the android with faces for shoulders was pretty cool. I'm totally down for a cyberpunk game with good combat.

Greatness

Cipher
No gameplay, cheesy writing, generic art style, awful voice acting, and unknown developers. Hard to get excited about this.

Mustawd

Really don't get the bitching about hexagons. If you're going to make a grid, there's only so many options. What makes hexagons so much worse than triangles or squares? Or should nothing in the future have a grid on it? Gee, lets have everything be made of wood and have plants everywhere too, that'd be the most original cyberpunk ever! While we're at it we can get rid of other stupid cliches like everything being electronically powered and buildings taller than a bungalow. :roll:

There's nothing wrong with the pattern itself. It's fine//looks cool..whatever. My annoyance with it is:

1.) It's lazy/derivative. At this poinr it's just plain overused. The art only has it because it's been used before but...

2.) There's literally no actual design reason to have any pattern there. It's a forcefield/shiled. Why does it need a pattern? Again, no thought as to why certain things look the way they do. Just tacked on in a generic fashion because "that's what sci fi is bro".

At the end of the day it's just an annoyance. Not a huge deal. The art direction in general is kind of...underwhelming though...at least from what I've seen. But same can be said about a million generic fantasy RPGs out there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's put some gears hexagons on it and call it steampunk sci fi.

Yes, well, ... the trailer is not that bad but not that great either.
Without any gameplay I am about as hyped as I was before the trailer.

"led by a former game journalist" "Unity" "Hey guise TWO FEMALE PROTAGONISTS" and their being exceptionally proud of that corny "“This is my story. This is your story. This is our story. To the very end.” line are red flags.
Rare that I agree with Rogey, but yes. Especially that last one was incredibly pretentious.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's nothing wrong with the pattern itself. It's fine//looks cool..whatever. My annoyance with it is:

1.) It's lazy/derivative. At this poinr it's just plain overused. The art only has it because it's been used before but...

2.) There's literally no actual design reason to have any pattern there. It's a forcefield/shiled. Why does it need a pattern? Again, no thought as to why certain things look the way they do. Just tacked on in a generic fashion because "that's what sci fi is bro".

At the end of the day it's just an annoyance. Not a huge deal. The art direction in general is kind of...underwhelming though...at least from what I've seen. But same can be said about a million generic fantasy RPGs out there.
Again, overused as opposed to what? hazy blue forcefields? Strobing ones? Laser bars? Everything's been done before. What did you expect, a fucking disseration on why the forcefields have hexagon patterns instead of some other kind of pattern? Were they supposed to use a colour that didn't previously exist?

Darkzone

Arcane
No i totaly disagree with Roguey. One Male and two females is a badass combo, or better said the only way for a treesome. And hexes are always sexy on a beautiful female bottom.

Mustawd

Again, overused as opposed to what? hazy blue forcefields? Strobing ones? Laser bars? Everything's been done before. What did you expect, a fucking disseration on why the forcefields have hexagon patterns instead of some other kind of pattern? Were they supposed to use a colour that didn't previously exist?

We're not just talking forcefields. It's everything sci fi. It's as if throwing hexagons on it magically makes it sci fi...just "because". It's lazy concept art, and if you disagree then you disagree. In my opinion, it's a tired cliche in the genre that just needs to die.

To me it shows an artist who is basically either making a decision to throw in generic sci-fi motifs or s being led that way by the dev team or whoever is in charge of the art direction. Happens all the time. Doesn't make it any less overused/lazy/generic/ridiculous design.

The design aspect is a bit pedantic, I agree. But it's hard to argue that there's any design value to random hexagons everywhere other than "it's sci fi bro!".

Regardless, I'm done talking about it. It's not a huge issue to me in any game, but at this point in time it looks cliche and generic to me. Plus it's a minor annoyance due to the dumb design aspect. But plenty of things are just as dumb/annoying, so maybe I'm just being a cynical asshole and everything is shit?

:argh:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Is there any reason for why the used hexes otherwise than "it looks sci-fi"? That's the problem, banal shit boring design and whoever uses it randomly like that that is a hack. Also Mustawd explained it pretty well.

Why are you so butthurt about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom