Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rain of Reflections - episodic dystopian adventure game with turn-based strategic confrontations

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No i totaly disagree with Roguey. One Male and two females is a badass combo, or better said the only way for a treesome. And hexes are always sexy on a beautiful female bottom.

My issue with it is its use as a selling-point.

bloodlover

Arcane
Why are there hexagons everywhere in the future? So tired of this trope...

Because it works?

heroes-of-might-and-magic-3-05.jpg

What's the big deal? I'd wait for more news and some actual gameplay before judging. I hope this turns out good, especially with the lack of cyberpunk themes in games. It's niche setting afterall.

Darkzone

Arcane
My issue with it is its use as a selling-point.
No i totally agree with you that to use this as a selling point is not good. I have made just a sex joke, because i have caught the flu and i lack the mental capacity to control myself.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is there any reason for why the used hexes otherwise than "it looks sci-fi"? That's the problem, banal shit boring design and whoever uses it randomly like that that is a hack. Also Mustawd explained it pretty well.

Why are you so butthurt about it?
I get pissed off when people rag on shit of not being original down to the last tiny detail. It's a pattern on a forcefield. They could have copied energy shields from Halo down to the last pixel and you would have thought that was 'original' I bet, but they made their own and you're angry because hexagons show up in scifi a lot? No shit, it's an artificial pattern. You know what else shows up a lot? Plastic, steel, concrete, glass, square grids, robots/cybernetics... why is any of that shit there if not because it's science fictiony? Hexagons are used because they create an atmosphere of unnatural/artifical surroundings. If you covered an ass in worn bluejeans instead, it wouldn't have the same fucking vibe. If you put a fucking Solomon's circle on the energy shield, it would be 'orginal' in a scifi context but not original in general (because nothing as simple as a 2D pattern is original at this point) and it would just be massively out of place.

The hexagons aren't any more lazy than the flying cars, skyscrapers, or robots. If you want to prove me wrong, create your own 'original' force field graphic and explain why it's better.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It could have been anything, like just a forcefield, it didn't have to be a pattern. I guess it just stands out because it extremely overused lately and especially in that video where they also have that field of hex panels not only the shields.

But whatever man, I'm just saying, at this point hex patterns and hex textures are the equivalent of applying a watercolor filter in Photoshop. I'm pretty sure they didn't even consider creating an "unnatural/artificial" mood.

Mustawd

^agreed

Moving on..the rest of that trailer was pretty forgettable. Would have liked to see more gameplay for sure. Especially since it's a turn based game.

Darkzone

Arcane
I get pissed off when people rag on shit of not being original down to the last tiny detail. It's a pattern on a forcefield. They could have copied energy shields from Halo down to the last pixel and you would have thought that was 'original' I bet, but they made their own and you're angry because hexagons show up in scifi a lot? No shit, it's an artificial pattern. You know what else shows up a lot? Plastic, steel, concrete, glass, square grids, robots/cybernetics... why is any of that shit there if not because it's science fictiony? Hexagons are used because they create an atmosphere of unnatural/artifical surroundings. If you covered an ass in worn bluejeans instead, it wouldn't have the same fucking vibe. If you put a fucking Solomon's circle on the energy shield, it would be 'orginal' in a scifi context but not original in general (because nothing as simple as a 2D pattern is original at this point) and it would just be massively out of place.

The hexagons aren't any more lazy than the flying cars, skyscrapers, or robots. If you want to prove me wrong, create your own 'original' force field graphic and explain why it's better.
You have forgoten one thing that is very importent for Cyberpunk and Film Noir: Rain, always the rain.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
There's no way that could be classified as 'cyberpunk'.

It's futury and techy, but that's not the same as cyberpunk.

Don't get me wrong, me like some sci-fi rpg, and sci-fi future and cyberpunk do share an intersection in a venn diagram but they're not the same thing.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
It's hard to tell from the videos if it is or not.

HUH?

The video is what makes it CLEAR that it's not cyberpunk. Anyone with half a working thought about what CP actually is would get that from the very first frame of the vid.

Sykar

Arcane
HUH?

The video is what makes it CLEAR that it's not cyberpunk. Anyone with half a working thought about what CP actually is would get that from the very first frame of the vid.

No it doesn't. It seems to try to create a similar environment which Shadowrun and the original Cyberpunk P&P created, which mostly resolved around setting up a futuristic Noir mood with themes of men vs machine and oppressed masses by massive corporations vs powerless states and individuals fighting it and the status quo. Whether they can deliver that or not has to be seen.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Sorry mate, but bullshit.

Everything is far too clean and 'finished' to qualify as CP, it's nowhere near a shadowrun 'atmosphere'.

Look at the tech that's being used, not a circuit panel in sight, no loose wiring, no 'gerry-built' hacks.

It's all sleek forcefields and industrially finished armoured power suits... that's NOT CP.

Johnny Mnnemonic, Blade Runner.. CP

2001 not CP.

Sykar

Arcane
Sorry mate, but bullshit.

Everything is far too clean and 'finished' to qualify as CP, it's nowhere near a shadowrun 'atmosphere'.

Look at the tech that's being used, not a circuit panel in sight, no loose wiring, no 'gerry-built' hacks.

It's all sleek forcefields and industrially finished armoured power suits... that's NOT CP.

That has literally nothing to do with whether it can be considered Cyberpunk or not. But whatever, this is too trivial for me to get into a major discussion about since the game at this point is very uninteresting.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
That has literally nothing to do with whether it can be considered Cyberpunk or not. But whatever, this is too trivial for me to get into a major discussion about since the game at this point is very uninteresting.

Dude.. that's just about a text book definition I've given you... HOW is that definition 'NOT CP'?

Rather than 'trivial' I think it's simply a matter of not admitting you're wrong.

You didn't even address the fact that you compared the setting/atmosphere to SR.. and it's most definitely nowhere even close to that.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Dude.. that's just about a text book definition I've given you... HOW is that definition 'NOT CP'

Rather than 'trivial' I think it's simply a matter of not admitting you're wrong.

You didn't even address the fact that you compared the setting/atmosphere to SR.. and it's most definitely nowhere even close to that.

I am not wrong. There is far too little shown yet to know exactly where this game is going, but it was clear in the first odd 10-20 seconds that they wanted to create something along the theme present in Shadowrun and Cyberpunk which I already explained in my previous post and I won't repeat myself again. Just because you have a narrow minded idea what Cyberpunk is doesn't mean you are right. Clean elements are present in Shadowrun as well, for example any of the Megacorps. Despite what you think, a Shadowrunner isn't the norm, he is the big exception.
Just like there are many dirty and impoverished areas, there are also plenty of clean and rich areas. Your whole argument is based on nothing but meaningless prejudice.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I am not wrong. There is far too little shown yet to know exactly where this game is going, but it was clear in the first odd 10-20 seconds that they wanted to create something along the theme present in Shadowrun and Cyberpunk which I already explained in my previous post and I won't repeat myself again. Just because you have a narrow minded idea what Cyberpunk is doesn't mean you are right. Clean elements are present in Shadowrun as well, for example any of the Megacorps. Despite what you think, a Shadowrunner isn't the norm, he is the big exception.
Just like there are many dirty and impoverished areas, there are also plenty of clean and rich areas. Your whole argument is based on nothing but meaningless prejudice.

Just fuck off.

Everyone sat on their thumbs as the definition of RPG was so often redefined that no-one can now agree what, exactly, an RPG is, to the point that those who DO know, because they've played them for far longer than PC's have been around, are contradicted constantly by people who's RPG experience starts and ends with something Bethesda or Bioware shat out, so I'll be fucked if I just sit back and let some shmuck on a random board try to redefine CP and tell me that I'M wrong.

If you can't see the obvious massive design differences (and I'm not just talking art work, I'm talking basic technological ethos) then frankly you don't even deserve to be in this conversation, never mind flapping your gums about a subject you are obviously lacking any knowledge in.

CP is a real genre with it's own 'rules of design', it's not just some random situation of technologies that can be redefined from time to time. It's it's own thing.. and if it doesn't follow it's own rules then it's not CP

Sykar

Arcane
Near future <> cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk usually takes place in the near future, depending on how you define near future.

Just fuck off.

Everyone sat on their thumbs as the definition of RPG was so often redefined that no-one can now agree what, exactly, an RPG is, to the point that those who DO know, because they've played them for far longer than PC's have been around, are contradicted constantly by people who's RPG experience starts and ends with something Bethesda or Bioware shat out, so I'll be fucked if I just sit back and let some shmuck on a random board try to redefine CP and tell me that I'M wrong.

If you can't see the obvious massive design differences (and I'm not just talking art work, I'm talking basic technological ethos) then frankly you don't even deserve to be in this conversation, never mind flapping your gums about a subject you are obviously lacking any knowledge in.

CP is a real genre with it's own 'rules of design', it's not just some random situation of technologies that can be redefined from time to time. It's it's own thing.. and if it doesn't follow it's own rules then it's not CP

I won't fuck off, just putting an ignorant retard like you on ignore.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cyberpunk usually takes place in the near future, depending on how you define near future.
Yes. That does not mean near future = cyberpunk.

I had to look that up, I always thought that != or /= was 'does not equal', I'd never seen that used.
Yeah, where did I get that? Always used to use !=. Oh well, glad we got there in the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom