Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jason Liang

Arcane
Rance Quest is supposed to be fully translated.

Having played through both Rance Quest and Rance IX recently (thanks to Japanese -> Chinese text to speech), I feel like Rance IX should be pretty fast to translate. While it reads like War and Peace, the game itself is completely on rails so its pretty straightforward, and each chapter isn't actually *that* long. In fact, I started translating IX to English (from the Chinese translation) to improve my Chinese, translating an entire chapter doesn't take more than a day or two.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's not the translation itself that takes time, it's the scripting. Mangagamer is really understaffed in that department and the Alicesoft titles aren't made with latin letters in mind.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's not the translation itself that takes time, it's the scripting. Mangagamer is really understaffed in that department and the Alicesoft titles aren't made with latin letters in mind.
Yes, this is true. Even the Chinese translations I used still encoded in Japanese unicode.

Jason Liang

Arcane
1556994003623.png

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

KingDoofus

Scholar
I agree about Quest and Sengoku together, though I suspect X will be released on its own. 5D probably had to be packaged with 6 since it wasn't a very long or complex game and if you're a Rance fan then you've probably played Sengoku already. But X is huge. And a great game. 9 is pretty long too, would likely work as a standalone release as well. Be interesting if they tried to package 9 with 01, 02, or 03, though I haven't heard anything about them releasing the remakes.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Packing Sengoku with Quest would make sense since essentially everyone who wanted to play Sengoku has played it thrice by now.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Thrice? Only Thrice!? I thought you were a fan!

(For real, there's like at least 5 endings. And a Free for All Mode.)

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
4 proper endings. 5 if you count in finishing kill the monkey route. Several more if you count in the variants of Ran route and the one where you cheat to win demon army with awakened Little Princess.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How to avoid Takeda declaring war on us on Isoroku's route? Story-wise it seems inevitable. I tried playing the game as usual and try to conquer them but at turn 70++ seriously they fuck me up badly. This late in the game it seems too late to wage war on Takeda because the generals already have 2000+ troops. I could handle any other house just fine, but not Takeda.

Jason Liang

Arcane
How to avoid Takeda declaring war on us on Isoroku's route? Story-wise it seems inevitable. I tried playing the game as usual and try to conquer them but at turn 70++ seriously they fuck me up badly. This late in the game it seems too late to wage war on Takeda because the generals already have 2000+ troops. I could handle any other house just fine, but not Takeda.
It's not too difficult to beat the blitz if you have a decent roster. Just focus on killing the two side cavalry for meter, assassinate anything annoying or dangerous in the back row, and use tactics to neutralize Yoshikage, Tourin, Baba Shouen and Masakage themselves. Here's the tactics I used to beat the blitz on turn 25:

Yoshikage is the easiest. Just throw your worst troops at him. He'll most likely burn all his AP to assassinate someone on the first turn, so all you need to do is make up the difference beating up his outriders. In fact it's pretty difficult to actually lose against Yoshikage. Hara Shouji with the Ryu sword deals more than enough damage to win this battle easily.

Tourin is the next easiest. You just need a tactician to keep removing his buffs, and he'll waste all his actions rebuffing. I used Rance in this battle to kill his outriders easily.

Baba Shouen is the most difficult. If you put a guard in the back row (or an all-guard like Senhime) he will just target and murder everyone in your back row. The key to beating him is to use a normal guard like Shibata and hope Shouen blows all his actions on a charge action first thing. Then you just put all your offense in this battle and murder the rest of his army and hopefully that makes up the points. Shibata/ Ranmaru is a good combination for this fight since Ranmaru packs enough punch and is fast enough to murder Shouen's outriders by herself.

Uruza is key to defusing Masakage. Since Masakage's attack takes two actions, you can just use Uruza's Accurate Shots to limit Masakage to one or two attacks. This is the battle to deploy the Kenshin/ Uruza combo if you've got it.

If you have a better roster it's even easier. Senhime can win any battle except Shouen by herself, same with Omachi if you have her. Ikkyu is a bit difficult to use but he can also ensure a win with his special action.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I fucked up. I changed Katsuie's guard to all guard and he ends up being shitty. It wasn't noticable when I played on True route (I played True twice) but turns out his all guard is shit.

Restarting isn't too bad, I guess. This game is short if you know what you're doing.

Jason Liang

Arcane
just play it out

Shibata isn't a crucial unit anyway. I typically end up dismissing him for space anyway, since a) he's not useful against Orochi and b) not a waifu. And c) cannot be cleared in Isoroku route anyway.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Have you guys played the old Rance games? The gameplay is ass (except Kichikuou Rance, which is good and in the same way as Sengoku, but isn't canon), but the writing is funny as fuck and you get to see some ancient lewds. It's also absolutely necessary to understand what's going on later on. Rance games have the most direct continuity I know of – they expect you to know exactly what happened in previous installments and often don't even give you any refreshers. They also constantly make refferences to previous games and don't give a single shit if you follow or not – making a refference to something that happened 3 games ago and hadn't been refferenced since is not too unusual. Sengoku Rance is the most stand-alone of them all and is meant to introduce new people into the franchise, but even there there's loads of stuff you won't get unless you played through the previous titles.
O4bU6vL.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Shibata isn't a crucial unit anyway. I typically end up dismissing him for space anyway, since a) he's not useful against Orochi and b) not a waifu. And c) cannot be cleared in Isoroku route anyway.
What you say is true. Yet I tend to find he always hangs around anyway, because he's actually a very good foot soldier when it comes to tanking hits.

All guard is pretty dangerous in general, it's pretty bad until you rank it up, and you probably don't want to spend your precious ranks on that.

CyberModuled

Savant
It's cool and all that we get more Rance stuff but at the same time, it's been months since Sengoku has been out of beta...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom