Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Index of games mentioned in this thread, updated 27 Oct 2015 (compiled by Nazrim Eldrak):

PAGE 1 - 4
-Ragnarok Odyssey : possible PC ports
-Lunar :possible PC ports
-Grandia 1 : possible PC ports
-Grandia 2 : possible PC ports
-Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
-Etrian Mystery Dungeon
-Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold : The Fafnir Knight
-Dungeon Travelers 2
-Ys I & II :GOG
-Ys VI:The Ark of Napishtim :Steam and GOG
-Class of Heroes 3 :for the Vita
-Summon Night 5 :for the Vita
-Suikoden 2 :for the Vita
-Demon's Souls :for the Vita
-Tales :for the Vita
-Neptunia :for the Vita
-Demon Gaze :for the Vita
-Final Fantasy IV :The After Years :Steam
-FF III and IV :Steam
-Imperial SaGa :2p browser game (RIP SaGa series)
-Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess :for PS4, PS3, and Vita
-Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven :3DS
-Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker :3DS
-Carpe Fulgur's
-Tales of Symphonia: Steam possible
-Tales of Abyss
-Flame Over : PS Vita
-New Gust
-The Witch and the Hundred Knight’s : PS4,Steam and mobile support possible
-Disgaea :pc possible
-One Way Heroics Plus : Playism :Steam
-AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed :Steam
-Labyrinth of Touhou
-Aselia the Eternal
-Eien no Aselia
-Demonbane
-Artifact Adventure
-Harvest Moon : PC
-Lightning Returns : PC
-Fairy Fencer F : PC possible
-Bravely Second
-Tales of Zestiria :Steam
-FM Evolved
-Kingdom Hearts
-Toukiden: Kiwami :Steam
-soul sacrifice delta

PAGE 5 - 8
-possible Chrono Trigger HD remake
-The Spirits Within
-Final Fantasy 7 : PC, Steam
-Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions: Android version, PSP
-Final Fantasy 13 : PC
-The World Ends With You :iOS
-Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
-Tales of Vesperia
-Tales of Xillia
-Tales of Xillia 2
-Elminage : PC
-Agarest
-Way of the Samurai : PC
-200% Mixed Juice! :Steam and other distributors.
-Stella glow
-Dungeons & Darkness
-Celestian Tales Old North :Steam
-Refrain
-Valkyrie Profile
-Fortune Summoners
-Star Ocean 5 PS3&4
-Grandia 2 HD :Steam and GOG
-Doujin RPG Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler :Steam
-Lab Zero
-PayDay 2
-How to Survive
-Adrift
-ABZU
-Fairy Fencer F :Steam
-Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky : PS4,Vita
-Neptunia
-Dragon Quest XI
-Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
-Vanquish : PS+
-Bayonetta 2
-Resident Evil remake
-Suikoden
-Vandal Hearts
-Castlevania
-Astro Maiden Apostle
-Radiant Historia

PAGE 9 - 10
-Asdivine Hearts :Steam possible
-Alphadia Genesis :Steam
-Monster Hunter
-Final Fantasy V :Steam
-The Legend of Legacy :3DS
-Stranger of Sword City :XboxOne
-Valkyria Chronicles : PS3
-Ni No Kuni : PS3
-Tokyo Xanadu
-Gravity Rush remake : PS4
-Gravity Rush 2 : PS4
-NIOH
-Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Force :Vita
-Kingdom Hearts HD II
-Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC revealed
-Danganrompa 3 : PS4, Vita
-Project Setsuna : PS4, Vita
-Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim : PS4, Vita
-Yakuza 1 Extreme remake : Ps3&4
-Yakuza 6 : PS4
-SaGa Scarlet Grace :Vita
-Seiken Denetsu remake :Vita, iOS and Android
-Toukiden 2
-Mugen Souls :Steam
-Dark Souls 3

PAGE 11 - 14
-Moero Chronicles
-Final Fantasy Type-0 Online
-Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
-Assault Suits series (Cybernator, Dying Earth)
-Akaneiro
-crop
-Lucifer's Call
-Persona
-Kenka Bancho
-Shiren the Wanderer
-Danganronpa
-Zero Escape
-Dragon Lair
-Xanadu Next : PC possible
-Shinovi Versus : PC possible
-Little King's Story : PC possible
-Kagura Douchuuki :Steam
-Moegen Souls :Steam
-Mushihimesama :Steam
-Dragon's Crown

Last edited:

LJ40

Cipher
Filled out. Lunar on PC would be pretty cool I guess. But...

"What features do you find the most important for a PC port?"
-DRM

I hope they can fill it with enough DRM to satisfy me.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wouldn't mind seeing a Grandia 1 and 2 PC port, straight from the Sega consoles without any sort of stuttering problems and the like. Lunar too, but more likely than not they would have to throw away the Working Designs localization for the PSP one. Kind of a bummer.

Athelas

Arcane
Ports of the Grandia games would be cool, especially if modders could toy around with the rather interesting combat system. Lunar too (hopefully it won't be the awful PSP version).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Grandia 2 has a pc port (I haven't tested it but from what I have read it is a rather good port).

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
I don't think it's worth buying. It's included in Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP) which is IMO the definitive version of the game.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New trailer for Imperial SaGa:

An f2p browser game... RIP SaGa series :(

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
arrives in Europe on July 17th for PS4, PS3, and Vita. I never played any of the Deception games; Wikipedia has the genre listed as "action strategy RPG" for what it's worth.

Live action trailer:

:hmmm:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Carpe Fulgur's new translation project is... a growth simulation game? Wut.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320090

This Starry Midnight We Make is a celestial growth simulation game where you create celestial objects using the mysterious Star-seeing Basin.

It's due out May 25.

Full description:

ss_d9c3d7542af2d12c8b5b6c4963b5f7dbf6d60838.1920x1080.jpg

"The idea of creating a box of jewels, each filled with life... doesn't it give you a little bit of a thrill?"

This Starry Midnight We Make is a celestial growth simulation game wherein the protagonist, Hamomoru Tachibana, creates celestial objects using the mysterious Star-seeing Basin.

Hamomoru Tachibana, our protagonist, is an overly serious, easily-flustered clergywoman. While on vacation in Kyoto, Japan in the early 20th century, she went to visit a night festival at a local shrine. While enjoying one of the local specialties, she found herself lost in a deep forest road near the shrine.

In the depths of the forest, flanked by a trio of archways, Hamomoru meets Chuuya Shingoh, a curious, self-professed student of sciences. Chuuya shows Hamomoru the "Star-seeing Basin", wherein one can seem to "grow" stars and a model of the night sky using pebbles, and invites Hamomoru to join his experiments. She is hesitant at first, but her missing wallet compels her to remain in Kyoto regardless.

Ultimately accepting Chuuya's offer to help with lodging, she agrees to assist him in his "research" in return. According to Chuuya, the stars created in the Basin may be able to influence the rest of the city in a manner similar to what is often described in onmyou divination. To confirm this, Hamomoru and Chuuya shall walk the streets of Kyoto, all while creating stars within the Star-seeing Basin...

Also, blog post: http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=55

This Starry Midnight We Make, or Mayonaka wa Hoshi zuku yo in the original Japanese, is something we’ve been thinking about doing for a little while now, ever since seeing it at Comiket in 2013. The brainchild of independent development studio Cavyhouse, Starry Midnight is a puzzle-simulation-adventure-story-hyphens game. It’s about magic, it’s about science, it’s about helping people through their problems, and it’s about seeing just how often Hamomoru can look incredulous at the madness that’s become her life since she arrived in Kyoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9KFZ4oz_g

It is, at its core, a kind of hybrid of a puzzle and a simulation game. The player’s goal is to produce stars within the simulated night sky of the Star-seeing Basin; the night sky of the Basin itself follows the precepts of onmyou divination and its related use of the Wu Xing elemental system. The player must manipulate the levels of energy in the Basin, as well as the positions of the placed stars themselves, to create the objects they require – because helping the people you meet in Kyoto will require the creation of specific celestial bodies in the Basin, and tracking down the full truth of the Basin and its powers will take the creation of complex and mighty objects indeed…

Needless to say, there’s really nothing quite like this anywhere else. We were taken almost immediately by the uniqueness of almost every aspect – the gameplay, the art style, even the setting (Kyoto circa 1910 is not a particularly well-worn setting in any country!) and began work on it almost as soon as we were done, in the main, with work on Trails in the Sky SC. I’m extremely proud of the work we’ve done here and am very happy to finally be releasing a product of our own again after a drought of over three freakin’ years. With any luck, there won’t be another huge release drought like this last one (though the next project is also looking like something of a doozy…)

Not sure what to make of this one. I am going to buy it because Carpe Fulgur, but yeah.

UPDATE: There's a demo available btw: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366820/ Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Not sure what to make of this one. I am going to buy it because Carpe Fulgur, but yeah.

Of course Bee is still a fan. I swear after that whole censorship deal I can't mention Fortune Summoners or Reccettear without someone bitching about Fulgur's escapades.
And here I am doing the same, sort of.

---

Just downloaded the demo now, sounds strange as hell, but I'll try it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I swear after that whole censorship deal I can't mention Fortune Summoners or Reccettear without someone bitching about Fulgur's escapades.

I actually had no idea about any censorship thing so I googled it and it looks like they added towels to the bathing scene in Fortune Summoners... and that's it?

Siveon

Bot
Yup, and people are still whining about it.

...As far as I know anyway. There's probably more to it than that , but I don't feel like digging anything up.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Kaga Shouzou, AKA that guy who made Fire Emblem, just announced that he's cooperating with a few familiar figures in making a new game... with some software called the "SRPG Studio".

Kaga said he would release the game for free when (if) he finishes it.

But he also said that the project was suffering from severe shortages of art materials, particularly unit chips and battle animations. He actually went as far as asking fans to donate materials (musics, arts, effects, etc.) compatible with the SRPG Studio.

Personally I'm rather sceptical of the final quality of the game (provided it would be finished at all), but nevertheless I wish the old man luck on his endevour. It's nice to see that not all legends of old have fallen to making mobile games and MMORPGs.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seems like we might have the Tales of series on PC: http://operationrainfall.com/2015/05/07/tales-of-symphonia-pc-rated-esrb/

An update to the Tales of Symphonia ESRB page now includes the Windows PC as one of the platforms that the game is available on. This follows a now-altered listing on the Steam database of a possible PC release of the newest entry in the series, Tales of Zestria.

Please release Tales of Abyss for the PC, I will personally hijack the Codex's voting and make it GOTY just to see the butthurt. :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom