Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

lightbane

Arcane
An indie Earthbound-style meets Pokemon* is out:

Supposedly it has multiple endings and 20h of gameplay.

*Not exactly though, you have some monsters to "befriend" as well as a pet you can modify. I would say it's more similar to the latest Digimon games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why is not Platinum releasing this game to PC? I want to play it too. :negative:

You guys know the drill. Wait for western release announcement. If they don't announce PC release then, ... wait more.
rating_oldman.png
rating_oldman.png
rating_oldman.png

FWIW the publisher Cygames has a relatively successful card game on Steam, not to mention Platinum's experience with PC releases.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why is not Platinum releasing this game to PC? I want to play it too. :negative:

You guys know the drill. Wait for western release announcement. If they don't announce PC release then, ... wait more.
rating_oldman.png
rating_oldman.png
rating_oldman.png

FWIW the publisher Cygames has a relatively successful card game on Steam, not to mention Platinum's experience with PC releases.

Well duh. From a Japanese interview, director said they want to release these games on Steam.

The two titles announced today are both for PlayStation 4, are there any plans to expand on other platforms?

We would like to releases these for Steam (PC). We have other PS4 titles being developed in-house such as Project Awakening, and we certainly will continue to focus on consumer games in the future as a company.

Btw they also announced a fighting game by Arc System Works (as it should be):

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For you only: https://gematsu.com/2018/12/granblu...r-count-multiplayer-potential-pc-version-more

Granblue Fantasy: Relink director discusses playable character count, multiplayer, potential PC version, more
posted on 12.16.18 at 05:50 AM EST by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Some more tidbits following yesterday's announcement.

Following this weekend’s announcement for Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Famitsu spoke with Granblue Fantasy director Tetsuya Fukuhara, who shared further information on the Platinum Games-developed action RPG.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/12/granblu...potential-pc-version-more#5ftdC6u5omswQ0o3.99

Get the tidbits below.
  • The setting of the story is “Zega Grand,” which appeared a bit in the main story as well. From the planning stages, we decided to set it in a place where prior knowledge would not be required, so even those who haven’t played Granblue could jump into the story. So as long as you know that “Granblue‘s story is set in the skies,” enjoying the game won’t be a problem.
  • Although the story connects with the main quest of the original game, it’s a little bit further than the main quest has gotten as of December 2018.
  • The item hanging around Vyrn’s neck is the same class of voice transmitters used by Eustace, who is in an “organization” in the main story. Through this, Vyrn can communicate with faraway characters outside the party.
  • The primal beasts that appear in this game are all completely new, and show up in various circumstances both as enemies and as allies. Also, a large number of new characters will appear. There are a lot of characters with strong personalities.
  • We’re also considering bringing the characters and story of this game into the smartphone version.
  • The flow of the game is basically moving through stages to get to the boss, advancing to specific areas alongside the story. Various locations like vast grasslands and snowy mountains will appear, and there also sub-quests with elements like exploration.
  • I can’t say a specific number when it comes to playable characters. But Bayonetta for example had unique motions for each weapon, which allows you to enjoy different ways of fighting for each one. If you counted each of those weapons as playable characters, [the playable character count] should be quite large for one of these types of games.
  • You will unlock playable characters by meeting specific requirements as you progress through the game.
  • For multiplayer, you can choose from the playable characters that you have unlocked. Since each player’s rate of progression is different, players are allowed to choose the same character.
  • What we’re trying to go for with multiplayer is high-difficulty quests that are unlocked after you clear the main story once, but you can also play low-difficulty quests before clearing the main story.
  • The game is just as far along as Granblue Fantasy Versus. However, since Granblue Fantasy: Relink is so much bigger, we will likely release Granblue Fantasy Versus first.
  • (This applies to both Granblue Fantasy: Relink and Granblue Fantasy Versus.) We would also like to release for Steam (PC). We already have some titles for PlayStation 4 that are being developed in-house such as the tentatively titled Project Awakening, and as a company we will certainly continue to put our strength into console.
Thanks, Games Talk.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Alvastia Chronicles, yet another KEMCO release. This time it's an RPG with over 100 companions:

ss_e11c63bfa5959f324d37bbd7acbd35afe998b5d9.600x338.jpg
ss_6193cdba73fc2e0c3071bc76a068671b39f17e6d.600x338.jpg

The Dungeon of Lulu Farea, doujin "puzzle dungeon" game where you do lovey dovey (no hentai) with monster girls, published by DLSite:

ss_a14aebd9721643f217e7d515f2274235fd36f804.600x338.jpg
ss_40980be0ff829b1ba2094791d829fe2adb9ae071.600x338.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Interesting.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/2...d-about-overseas-demand-steam-sales-and-more/

The latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation has an interview with Tales of Vesperia Producer Yoshito Higuchi and Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition Producer Yusuke Tomizawa, in which they spoke about resolution, overseas demand, and how well the Tales of series does on Steam. (Thanks, Blog.hokanko-alt!)

Here are the highlights:
  • This is Tomizawa’s first time working on a console Tales of game. Higuchi was in an observer role this time and, while he gave some advice on the data end, development was smooth so he didn’t need to add much.
  • There were a lot of requests for a definitive edition of Tales of Vesperia, especially with the West only receiving the Xbox 360 version of the game.
  • Tomizawa stated that one of the big goals of this game is to help the series go fully multiplatform. The Steam versions of Tales games in particular sell very well.
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition will be 1080p for all versions, except for the Nintendo Switch version in Handheld mode.
  • While this time the concept was to bring a good game to current platforms as it was, Tomizawa wants the team to challenge itself for future Tales games. While the team will keep aspects of the Tales of series that should never be changed, he wants to reconsider how much of the series should be changed

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not particularly news: https://gematsu.com/2018/12/from-software-has-two-unannounced-titles-in-development

From Software has two unannounced titles in development

Discussing the studio’s development lines, Miyazaki said that the 3.5 product lines he mentioned in a June 2016 interview can be broken down as follows:
  • 0.5 – Deracine
  • 1.0 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • 2.0 – Unannounced Titles
Miyazaki clarified thatDark Souls Remastered and the upcoming Metal Wolf Chaos XD were requested by Bandai Namco and Devolver Digital, respectively, and are thus not included in the 3.5.

Asked by 4Gamer.net is this meant that the studio has two unannounced titles in production, Miyazaki said that is correct.

“While it isn’t the time to discuss details, they’re both [From Software]-esque games,” Miyazaki said. “We’ll need a little more time, but we’ll be able to tell everyone more about them once they take shape.”

In other news, NepNep expands its business to edutainment:

With the Let's Get Nepucated DLC, Neptune will ask a series of hard hitting questions that she'll need to know before she feels comfortable around you. Questions like ""Do you like me?"" and ""What food do I like?"" are definite tests for the true Neptune fan! Get to know Neptune better by asking her select questions too!

ss_3ecf4edc3d418470ff366a92b2e4aaab071b9c0c.600x338.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Not surprised that a SaGa game will have multiple protagonists. I’m just happy that there is a new game being worked on. (Please, not mobile!)
Interesting little tidbit that it won’t be like Scarlet Grace.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
from silicon era article asking jp devs for new year's resolutions:

Atsushi Hashimoto (Tokyo RPG Factory Director): “In January 2018 we released the overseas version of Lost Sphear along with the latest update. While we’ve yet to make anything public, everyday we’re diligently working on a game that is being made to surprise a lot of people, so please look forward to our next title.”
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/2...ons-and-teasers-for-2019/#kRhXkurk2jD63iop.99

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Not surprised that a SaGa game will have multiple protagonists. I’m just happy that there is a new game being worked on. (Please, not mobile!)
Interesting little tidbit that it won’t be like Scarlet Grace.

I would love to care but they still haven't even put Scarlet out in English, no faith

Terra

Cipher
I've still yet to complete a SaGa game; reached the last boss in the Romancing SaGa remake (loved it) but just couldn't find a way to finish off the 2nd form. Can't recall how far I got in Unlimited. But yeah, I really liked how some of the timed quests resolved themselves (negatively) because I was screwing around doing other things elsewhere in the world.

Had my eye on the Romancing 2 PC port but will probably wait for a better sale price as I've got enough to play right now.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Apparently Sega convinced Atlus to start making PC ports:
https://gematsu.com/2019/01/bayonetta-steam-page-seemingly-teases-catherine-classic

Bayonetta Steam page seemingly teases Catherine Classic
The Bayonetta Steam page has posted a news article titled “Baa.”
The post contains only the following image:
Bayonetta-Sheep_01-03-19.jpg

The PC version of Bayonetta has previously been used to tease the release of a PC version of Vanquish. It was teased several times ahead of its eventual announcement.
Back in December, Gematsu discovered a rating for something called “Catherine Classic” in Australia. With the Bayonetta Steam page posting an image of a sheep today, which are highly featured in Catherine, it is likely that the tease is for Catherine Classic.

Now SMT V and Persona 5 on PC isn't such a crazy idea.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Atlus probably going with Catherine to "test the market" and hoping it will fail so they don't have to make more money with the Persona games.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I kinda want them to remaster the PS2 remake of the first Romancing SaGa just to see some salt. Needless to say, port it to PC alongside SaGa 3 when it happens and there will be no excuse to play through the entire trilogy.

sg.jpg

Terra

Cipher
Atlus probably going with Catherine to "test the market" and hoping it will fail so they don't have to make more money with the Persona games.
Testing the market with an old version of a game soon to get an enhanced release... I was going to say that's a stupid idea but yep, that's about what I expect from Japanese developers and Western PC releases. Expect P3 & P4 "Classic" to follow.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If previous teasers (Bayonetta, Vanquish, PuyoPuyo) are any indication it will be released very soon, possibly this month. The enhanced edition for consoles will be released on February in Japan, and they're probably coming to west in Fall at best. If Atlus and SEGA are sensible they'd release it as a DLC or upgradable on Steam. But oh god it's Atlus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom