Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
giphy.gif

Endemic

Arcane
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Marvelous is still majority owned by members of the Nakayama family.

cURb9cW.png

Terra

Cipher
The did it. Full fan made HD remaster of FF IX:

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/install

Those HD background looks amazing, unlike other HD upscale project, the original style of art is really preserved and enhancex holy shit
Nice aspect of those upscales is the characters don't seem to stick out like a jaggy, sore thumb. FF9 isnt my favourite of the PS1 entries but the character models hold up much better in terms of the scene's overall composition.

Silentstorm

Learned
Wow, that Core Awaken game looks awful, just the graphics and design style alone, even the UI annoys me, certainly won't be playing that, as for Gunvolt, i have the first game, i think i played it...according to Steam, i did play it, but i swear i don't remember anything about that game, don't know what that says about it other than the first game being very easy to forget in my case.

Sumire may be good, certainly looks prettier than Core Awaken at least.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Three years later, looks like they did another price drops on their catalog as of June.

No official list but some minor and old games got decidedly cheaper (Phantom Brave: $15 -> $5). Some full-priced games are now almost half of that. (Coven of Dusk: $50 -> $30, Ys 8: $60 -> $40).

Notable exceptions are Diagea games. No price cuts. Most dramatic cut goes to The 25th Ward: The Silver Case ($30 -> $10).

I guess I gotta buy few of their 2D horror games at Summer Sale.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Persona 4 Golden coming to PC, with Denuvo (thanks Sega).
https://steamdb.info/app/1113000/subs/
https://support.codefusion.technology/pso4_gpn24w/?l=english
https://store.steampowered.com/developer/atlus/

Wait a second...
Atlus pubished Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/wizardry-tale-of-the-forsaken-land
Would be surprised if they released PC version.
Despide being PC port made two decades later - I would buy it
for a dollar

They also published Demon's Souls
https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/demons-souls
Considering recent rumors about DeS's remake/remaster and potential PC port...

and this thing
project_re_fantasy.png

they share similar artstyle

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Did Sega arm wrestle Atlus to release more games on PC?

An Etrian collection with good kb+m support would be great, one can never have too many crawlers. And, who knows, a SMT V pc port down the line. All cards are on the table now.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, shiiieeet. It's finally happening. Weird they're going with P4G, though.

If anything P4G is the most logical choice for ATLUS. It seems that ATLUS in general stills consider PC as inferior platform (Japanese devs consider this due to stigma of PC game = eroge and the rampant piracy in PC). The view of PC = eroge is less prominent now but the concern with piracy is still very big. That's why the bigger companies are using Denuvo etc to reduce piracy if they are going to release the game in PC at all. Even then the consoles will still get timed exclusivity due to being safer.

Persona 4 was released on dead end of PS 2 lifecycle. P4G was released in Vita 8 years ago and Vita is pretty much a dead console lifecycle wise. For all intent and purpose, there is no new revenue stream for Persona 4 or P4G. Bringing a dead game to a new platform, even with it risk of piracy is worth it because the revenue loss due to piracy could probably be neglected. And if it is successful enough the spinoffs (P4 Dance, P4 Fightring games) can also be brought later to refresh revenue stream from older games.

Silentstorm

Learned
The fuck, Persona 4 is coming to PC...well damn, talk about genuinely shocking news.
Did Sega arm wrestle Atlus to release more games on PC?

An Etrian collection with good kb+m support would be great, one can never have too many crawlers. And, who knows, a SMT V pc port down the line. All cards are on the table now.
If they announce Etrian for PC, i will gladly pay for any of the games, any single one, come on Sega, if you managed to get Persona, one of their biggest franchises, you can surely get Etrian, believe in the power of Sonic and bring PC gamers Etrian!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim coming September 8.

Based on trailers it would seem the game is more of a side-scrolling adventure or something? There doesn't seem to be any combat or something like that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They really strive to make an interactive anime game. It make me wonder if they try to make AI worlds where the characters actually will have daily routines some day. Here, it appears they are trying for facial expression, body movements, etc etc instead of overlapping huge static VN images with dialogue. The game appears to be a side-scroller chapter type VN done different.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim coming September 8.

Based on trailers it would seem the game is more of a side-scrolling adventure or something? There doesn't seem to be any combat or something like that.

There is some type of rtwp combat or something. The rest is basically structured like a visual novel with diverging paths.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Story of Season, Friends of Mineral Town (the latest from Harvest Moon creator) will be published by XSEED on PC

Terra

Cipher
I've long wished they use the more anime aesthetic of Rune Factory for the HM mainline series. The mainline style wasn't too bad in say Back to Nature, but RF:Frontier looked pretty damn nice for a Wii game and didn't compromise on the core mechanics.
large.jpg

Hell, use the isometric aesthetic of the Doraemon SoS, swap out the retarded looking characters for more normal anime style and rake in the profit.
c72186ca-6158-4359-8567-ea43742827bb-Doraemon_SoS_03.jpg

I don't know why these guys struggle so much to find a decent art style for their character models and environments cause their portraits can be pretty spot on.
storyofseasons0527141280jpg-95893e_1280w.jpg

story-of-seasons-iris.png

Hell, it's because of constant floundering like this that tiny one-man devs can labour-of-love their HM:BTN spiritual successor all the way to the bank.

When you have so many other appealing aesthetics why would they go with...
story-of-seasons-friends-of-mineral-town-screenshot5_1024x1024.jpg

If they nailed the look they could equal or beat Stardew, but this ain't the look to do it.

The ps1 look was better ffs
backtonature.png

jungl

Augur
anime style is boring especially most nu anime where everyone got that white baby head look.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom