Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another 50 brofists that this only started after the fan sequel was shutdown, when SE bleeding money and frailing around decided to copy the first thing they could find that interested the few fans they have left after Nomura reign of zipper terror.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Square Enix's E3 teaser trailer apparently uses remixed Chrono Trigger music and hints at some new, currently super secret announcements, so ppl are speculating about a possible Chrono Trigger HD remake.

I watched some top 10 jrpgs of all time youtube vid recently. And Chrono Trigger was #1. I though that'd be cool to have a remake.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh boy, sending that C&D letter to Chrono Resurrection's team sure was worth the wait. Good thing SE wasted 10 years doing fuck all with the game when fans could've been remaking it and keeping the public in general more aware of the IP, huh? :hahano:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/15/final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-coming-to-playstation-4/

Siliconera has learnt that Square Enix are developing a Final Fantasy VII remake for PlayStation 4.

The Final Fantasy VII remake will use a more modern art style for Cloud, similar to his appearance in Dissidia Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. It is being created to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII.

(And no, this isn’t the Final Fantasy VII port for PlayStation 4 that was previously announced by Square.)

I seriously never asked for this.

SA goons are skeptical though:

Turns out that it's just the FF7 tech demo running on PS4 hardware with the same graphic quality and presented by Shinji Hashimoto.

So, no idea what that is all about.

Siveon

Bot
Maybe we'll get a PC version with a better translation.

Or maybe this is just more rumors by hopeful fanboys.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Nier game by Platiunm games for PS4, soundtrack by Okabe. Akihiko Yoshida handles art, Saito directing. a Taro game.

Be still my beating desu desu heart.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Squeenix recently regurgitated android version of Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFT_en2, so there's a slight chance that it'll be ported to PC.

It's funny because, provided they fixed PSP version's slowdowns and some audio problems, that could be the best version of WotL. Hell, those are even filtered sprites from what I can see.
War of the lions PSP has a fan patch that fixes that :troll:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Square Enix do fix shit occasionally, like the FF13 interface and resolution problems on PC. It seems to be pretty random on their part though.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Square Enix do fix shit occasionally, like the FF13 interface and resolution problems on PC. It seems to be pretty random on their part though.

Yes, for example they just fixed "The World Ends With You" on iOS after it was broken (not starting at all) since iOS 8 came out last fall.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They also fixed some issues with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, including the camera.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I'm more interested in Tales of Xillia myself, especially Xillia 2. From the LP I briefly watched, its steampunk-ish modern day setting and its SMT-like occult overtones seem to be right up my alley (and a departure from the generic settings of other Tales games).

Also, pre-ordered Zestiria. Hopefully it sells well enough for them to bring over Xillia 2 at some point as well.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've mostly heard bad things about ToX1, particularly that its areas are small, repetitive, and generic, and that choosing your protagonist at the beginning offers only a few differences throughout the game, making it seem like it was added mostly to inflate game time. Xilla 2 looks interesting, though, with the protagonist being silent with the player apparently making dialogue choices that can affect stuff.

Zestiria looks like a typical Tales of game, which means it'll probably be a solid JRPG and I've been looking forward to it.

Arkeus

Arcane
ToX1 is pretty good- while there are only very minor differences, plot wise, between the 2 different "leads", choosing either of them really set a different tone when you play the game, where Jude is basically "tutorial/learning about the world" and Milla is "James Bond". Those aren't plot differences as much as that you have completely different dialogs with other characters as well as cut scenes whether you are Jude or Milla.

The big issue with ToX1...Well, the two big issues are the very empty lategame, and the very empty arte skillset of the secondary characters. Lategame is rushed as hell, and it's pretty clear the game was basically unfinished. Likewise, Beside Milla and Jude every other characters are barely playable. If you insist on playing them you basically have a very barebone skillset.

It's a shame, because Tales Of had been pretty good at making secondary characters being fully playable and comparable to the MC before (even though sometimes the MC was a bit OP).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ghostlight will bring another console JRPG to PC:

Of course with the release of Way of the Samurai 4 nearly upon us, here at Ghostlight we were facing a rather large hole in our schedule. The way the weather has been lately, lazing around in the sun does seem an appealing prospect, but we don’t like to sit idle here at Ghostlight. So, I’m pleased to announce that we’ve just signed a new deal to bring another console JRPG to PC! I can’t share the game’s title just yet, but I thought you might be interested in knowing. Also, it’s been far too long since I’ve teased anything and I do have a reputation to maintain. :) More news soon…

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/wait-of-the-samurai

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do their PC ports of JRPGs actually sell that well? Just seems like an incredibly niche market, though I guess going purely digital helps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom