Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

lightbane

Arcane
Even Squeenix wants to pretend Squall never existed.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Resonance of Fate launches on October 18th for PC, and Squeenix also dropped a trailer showing the graphics comparisons in the Last Remnant remaster.

Too lazy to drop links, dealwithit ^_^

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look at this customized gun.
upload_2018-9-18_12-18-53.jpeg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I had been waiting for Resonance of Fate to become playable on RPCS3 (still isn't) but thankfully that's no longer necessary. It's considered a "hidden gem" of a JRPG by many though how accurate that is remains to be seen!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Resonance was surprisingly good.

I did a mini-review sometime ago:

Finally finished Resonance of Fate for the PS3.

Surprisingly good jrpg, with very interesting gun mechanics in a turn based combat model with power-ups and combo moves. Decent story and art. Very cool gun customization schematics where you mod your gun by combining gun parts like a puzzle. Various exploration mechanics. Hexes galore! Much better than any recent Final Fantasy crap.

So why was this game a flop? First of all it's by Sega so it most likely had absolutely zero marketing. Also it has some convoluted mechanics and the tutorial/manual are shit at explaining any of this. Read a FAQ if you want to understand how combat and exploration works. Also the main city hub is atrocious and to navigate it you must go through many screens like it's some PSX game.

But all and all it's a pretty good game that keeps being challenging for a long time. This one and Nier are the diamond-in-the-rough jrpgs for PS3.

Excuse the crappy screens. It's fucking PS3 what can i do.

p9f6amT.jpg

wnB80VH.jpg

e6u8oF5.jpg

2w5hkB5.jpg

ejxQZuZ.jpg

5H7iZiW.jpg

QUifPXQ.jpg

oTQecYt.jpg

ESlwjuw.jpg

RYNxI4p.jpg

phew ... 135h ! I hadn't done this in a long time.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I never expected a remaster for the game - but I'm glad to replay it on PS4 / PC. It already looked dated on the PS3, but was a great game. I really liked the atmosphere and setting, the weird characters and the combat system, I hope they don't change that other than maybe explaining it better.

And good to see that "the classic cutscene" didn't get #metoo'ed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/19/exclusive-details-on-grandia-and-grandia-ii-hd-remaster

Exclusive Details On Grandia And Grandia II HD Remaster

While in town for Tokyo Game Show, we had the opportunity to stop by GungHo’s offices and have them dish to us about what’s in store for the Grandia and Grandia II HD Remaster. The Remaster of the first two Grandia games was announced last month for Switch and PC. The Grandia series captured fans hearts in the PS1/Sega Saturn era for its lighthearted nature and fun battle system where you interrupt opponents’ attacks by timing your own correctly.

The%20End%20of%20the%20World.jpg

Here is the list of new and updated features Gung Ho provided us:

Grandia
  • Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art.
  • Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
  • Widescreen support and customizable resolutions for PC
  • Addition of MSAA, bloom, normal mapping, and blur effects
  • Steam cards and Achievements
  • Japanese Audio & English Subtitles
  • Language Support: English & Japanese
  • Digitally converted game manual
  • Utilizing PS1 & Sega Saturn source code
  • Gamepad and keyboard support with remappable controls
Grandia II
  • Digitally converted game manual
  • Utilizing Grandia II Anniversary Edition source code, which originally was based on the Sega Dreamcast source code
  • Fix PC video/audio desync and switch to XInput
  • Add support to exit to title
  • Japanese Subtitles added, for Switch version
In a surprising move, GungHo confirmed it currently only has plans to release this collection in North America and Europe – to much dismay of Japanese fans clamoring for it.

So...

• Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
  • Addition of MSAA, bloom, normal mapping, and blur effects

... will it Prosper like Chrono Trigger for PC?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

All of these can be disastrous, though.

ss_b3a5dd32e3a8882ff71d0c50ff084a9724d696dc.1920x1080.jpg

Grandia 2 had it easy because it's essentially all 3D.

I'm just amazed they actually held onto to game's source code and even from multiple platforms. Especially compared to industry titan like Squeenix.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Resonance of Fate on PC boyyyyySsss!!!
Dragon's Dogma, Vanquish, Yakuza series, now this... How many more games are going to end up being ported to PC/remastered before I get the time to play them on my ps3? :negative:
One fewer game for which ps3 (and x360) is even worth having around, which is a good thing.:)

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-quests-creator-hopes-to-bring-more-of-the-series-to-pc/

Dragon Quest's creator hopes to bring more of the series to PC
In an interview for Dragon Quest 11, Horii reflects on 80s PC history, working with Akira Toriyama, and making a PC game for the West.

Dragon Quest 11 releasing on PC was a major milestone for Japanese PC gaming, and a moment of symmetry: creator Yuji Horii was first inspired by computer games like Ultima and Wizardry, and now his series finally shares a platform with them, all these years later. It's the first, though he hopes it won't be the last. "If Dragon Quest 11 does sell on the PC, hopefully we can bring some of the older games in the series and port them to the PC," Horii said when we spoke in a recent interview.

I asked Horii, along with Dragon Quest 11's director and producer, about making the first Dragon Quest for PC, and to look back at the PC scene of the 1980s. Would the series have become as popular if it was released for the PC, rather than Nintendo's Famicom?

"There's no saying what could have happened if they had released on a different platform," Horii said. "From the very start of developing Dragon Quest, I only had the Famicom system in mind. It was the gaming device that most children were playing on.

"When you really look back at the state of PCs back then, they were very expensive hardware. Back then I was writing articles for Shonen Jump about PC games like Lode Runner, and oftentimes I would receive surveys or comments from readers saying 'that looks so fun, I want to try playing it.' But PCs were so expensive, kids couldn't play those games. The year after the Famicom came out, and it became more accessible and a lot of children tapped into it. So that was the motivation I had in developing for that platform."

Horii had once wanted to become a manga artist, but was drawn to computers and started to learn programming—partially by playing games like Nobunaga's Ambition, which were still written in BASIC, and reprogramming them to see how they changed.

When he made Dragon Quest with Enix, the company was still largely focused on releasing games for Japanese computers like the NEC PC-98 and Sharp X1. That changed with Dragon Quest's success—but despite being intentionally designed for the Famicom, Enix did still commission ports of the first two games to the MSX, another popular PC. They don't look great.

"At that time, they had quite a lineup for PC software, but when the Famicom came out they started porting some of those PC games to the Famicom, including Door Door and Portopia, which happens to be Horii-san's game," said executive producer Yuu Miyake. "From that they gained the know-how to develop for the Famicom. ... When you look at where the PC was going at that time, when Dragon Quest 1 and 2 were releasing, the PC was still selling quite well. So that's why they decided to do an MSX port. But thereafter, in Japan at least, the Famicom became more of the main console for gaming, and the PC industry shrunk a bit, which is why presumably there wasn't a port thereafter."

Horii and his (then much smaller) team didn't work on those ports themselves, but for Dragon Quest 11, the PC was part of the plan from the very beginning. Historically, Dragon Quest has always been developed for the platform with the most Japanese players. For years that was the Famicom and Super Famicom; then it was the PlayStation, the PlayStation 2, and the Nintendo DS. But times have changed, and Horii said that "in this day and age… when you think of where the biggest market is, at least for North America, we can say it's for PS4 and PC, which is why we're bringing the game to those platforms."

We also chatted a bit about what it's like working with Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama, who's been doing art for the Dragon Quest series since the beginning. Typically, the dev team comes up with a description for a character or monster and supplies it to Toriyama, who then sends back a rough line drawing, and they go back and forth from there to refine it. But with every game, Toriyama tends to have something in particular he's unpredictably interested in drawing.

"For Dragon Quest 11, it seemed like Toriyama-san was very particular about the accessories, this time," Dragon Quest 11 director Takeshi Uchikawa said. "For example, the main character's bag, or the way he straps his belt. Those kinds of fine details and ideas were brought up by Toriyama-san, and with the illustrations he creates, the development team would convert that into 3D models. Of course the development team wants to bring his illustration to life as much as possible, so even if they were encountering some difficulties with how characters would move with a specific accessory or whatever, they tried their best to make that come true."

My favorite detail was that when Toriyama drew the game's final boss, he was clearly excited about the design—instead of his usual black-and-white sketch, he turned in a fully colored illustration.

Like Toriyama, Horii's passions have manifested in different ways over the life of the series. Dragon Quest 11 was meant to be a culmination of 30 years of history, and he said he wanted people to feel that progression. Around the development of Dragon Quest 6 on the Super Famicom, the idea of "finding yourself" was popular, so he reflected that theme of self-exploration in the game. And even at the age of 64, he's still a big fan of pranks, which commonly appear in the Dragon Quest games.

An unexpected bit of history came up when Horii spoke of how his childhood influenced Dragon Quest. He didn't go adventuring in the hills as a boy, the way Shigeru Miyamoto did and famously channeled into The Legend of Zelda, but Dragon Quest's collectible mini medal items do have a childhood origin story.

"I actually grew up on a very small island, and there was a small hill on that island and a cliff," Horii said. "We had these small frisbee-like discs. Basically, you would throw them off the cliff, and I would enjoy running down the hill and gathering those. That kind of became the inspiration for the small medallions, the mini medals, in the Dragon Quest games."

While Dragon Quest 11 hasn't lit up the Steam charts like Monster Hunter: World, or matched the PS4 version's great success in Japan, it remains on Steam's top sellers list more than two weeks after release. Time will tell if that's enough to bring the rest of the series, and their mini medals, to the PC as well.

Expon

Scholar
They also announced a new Romancing Saga game in over 20 years, but it is a free-to-play and mobile game so whatever: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/saga_reuniverse/

https://www.4gamer.net/games/434/G043482/20180922073/
the game takes place 300 years after romancing saGa 3 and will feature characters from unlimited, frontier, scarlet grace, first three romancing games and that werid stage thing they did. the dev team mostly consist of the guys who did scarlet grace and imperial so at least the combat system will be good. and kenji ito.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom